CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-17-2007, 12:07 PM   #11
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Re: 12 week Tabata project

Week four: test.

Cindy 19 rounds + 1 pullup
(previous 19 + 5 pullups)

Today was rough. I felt like hell the last five days, but I wanted to stay on schedule. I didn't have any muscle fatigue on pullups or pushups. My legs were dead coming in, and my energy level was low. I don't know whether to chalk it up to illness, fatigue, or lack of improvement. I'm going to spend the next 3 days at 1/2 intensity until I recover. Tabata work resumes next week.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:42 PM   #12
Mike Peiman

Profile:

Gant, still following your project with interest. Hope you take it to completion and keep posting your results.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:36 PM   #13
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Mike, I've stayed faithful to the project while on the road. I'll be on a plane tomorrow and will try to write up commentary for the last two weeks. I also keep the info on my workout log. Thanks for reading!
Old 10-11-2007, 09:04 AM   #14
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Ok, sorry for the late update. I am now on week 7, looking back on weeks 5 and 6.

Basically, my pullups and pushups have improved, and my squats are sucking. The last two weeks I've squatted after sprinting or heavy leg days, so that may be affecting it (I hope so). I'm doing some more sprinting today, and possibly some thrusters, so I don't know that tomorrow will be any better.

A few observations:
1) Cindy might not be as good a test as I thought. When I last did Cindy, I cruised through the pullups and pushups (which is not typical). The squats were the weak link, and I tied my previous PR of 19 rounds.

2) I HATE Tabatas. With a passion. I've been doing this stuff now for almost two months, and it is always the hardest thing I do all week. It's nice to be done with it in 12-15 minutes, but it's hell on the body.

3) I don't know that I'm doing these correctly. The last few rounds of each exercise are broken; I have to recover 1-2 seconds during the 20-second periods. This becomes a "do as many as you can in 20 seconds" as opposed to "do as many as you can-without stopping-in 20 seconds." If I did them straight, I would flame out after 8-12 seconds of the last 3 rounds of each exercise; my numbers would be much lower in the late rounds of each exercise. The lactic acid paralyzes my muscles, and I would literally not be able to get another rep after 8-12 seconds if I didn't take the short break.

For experimental purposes, I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing. I still feel that I'm getting a benefit even though it may not be pure Tabata. After all, pure Tabata is done with aerobic activity, where lactic acid will slow, but not paralyze the muscles.

Although I hate this and look forward to being done with it, I will do Tabata at least every other week. I have improved across the board in other categories, and I believe this work has been instrumental.

Thanks for reading.

Pullups

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...es/pullups.jpg

(from my log)
wk 5: did these at 6 am on the way out of town. Didn’t get much of a warmup, and had the hands tapes, the they went pretty well. The later rounds are starting to flatten out. It looks like I've hit a max speed of 15-16.

wk 6: did these after snatch singles and the day after "Nicole." Still felt good, although the later rounds were rough. I can see finishing this thing in a month with 16, 13, 10, 10, 10, 10.

Pushups

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...es/pushups.jpg

(from my log)
wk 5: did these in a hotel room right after waking up. Didn't get much of a warmup. Blasted through the first round, and settled into what the workout always is.

wk 6: did these after snatch singles and heavy presses yesterday. The first round was cake. The second round wasn't bad, but the last four were brutal. I didn't know what I had the week before, so I didn't know what I was shooting for. I'm surprised that it was almost identical.

Squats

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...mes/squats.jpg

(from my log)
wk 5: did these in my hotel room. Still fighting a little DOMS from Linda. The first three rounds weren't bad. Legs cramped a bit on the last three.

wk 6: these were awful. I hope running 8x100m the day before and doing snatch singles that day had something to do with this. The first set was ok, but it wasn't comfortable. The last five sets were rough, with the final three brutal. I was lucky to get the score I did. Significant cramping.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:08 AM   #15
Gant Grimes

Profile:

This is a late entry for week 7. For obvious reasons, I didn't want to do Tabatas the day after Murph, so I took two days' rest and hit this thing with fresh legs. That made all the difference.

I'm going to do Cindy this week to stay on the 12-week schedule. As I said in a previous post, I'm not sure Cindy is as good a test as I originally thought. Regardless, I'm going to try to hit 20 rounds for the first time.

Pullups

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...es/wk7pull.jpg

wk 7: this one also benefitted from extra rest. Not much to say about this one. My kip was actually more poweful the first 5-6 reps than the last few weeks, which is probably why I got 17 in the first round.

Pushups

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...es/wk7push.jpg

wk 7: what a difference resting makes! I did these at 6 am in a hotel room. I felt almost as explosive in the second round as I did in the first. The third round felt good, as well. I never really cramped up. I simply hit the wall and couldn't do anymore. The last couple rounds were sets of 2 and 3.

Squats

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2.../wk7squats.jpg

wk 7: what a difference resting makes! After two disappointing weeks of squatting the day after running and doing legs, I came into this with two days' rest. There was little difference in the first and last rounds. I had to take a 2-second break in each of the last 3 rounds to fight off the cramps. Otherwise it was great.

The graph and standard deviation tell the story. I'm approaching the point of doing 21's across unless I increase my speed, which doesn't seem likely. Another interesting point is that, although I haven't PERFORMED Tabatas well in the last two weeks, I have benefited from the exercise.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:51 AM   #16
Jason M Struck

Profile:

i am really appreciating this thread-

I am conducting a similar self-research on Hypertrophy.

you have inspired me to use graphs!

Thanks!

jason
Old 10-18-2007, 11:26 AM   #17
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Haha. Thanks, Jason. In this kind of project, you can tell a lot using only the graphs and standard deviation. I'm attaching my spreadsheet in case it's of use to you or anyone doing similar projects.

As much as I've come to hate Tabatas, I'm going to do them at least every other week. In 3 minutes a week, I've duplicated the gains that people have doing GTG multiple times a day, several days a week.

More importantly, it seems to be the protocol itself, not the weekly output, that drives improvement. My squats for the two previous weeks sucked, in part because of DOMS/fatigue from the day before. This week's squat results--after rest--were excellent, an in line with predicted improvement from the earlier weeks.

Good luck with your own project, and post up some results. *I could use a little hypertrophy; I'm wasting away...
Attached Files
File Type: email Tabata work_xl03.xls (47.5 KB, 470 views)
Old 10-21-2007, 06:27 PM   #18
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Week 8 test: Cindy
Friday 071019

21 rounds + 5 pullups

previous performance 19 rounds + 1 pullup 070917
previous PR 19 rounds + 5 pullups

Pullups and pushups were unbroken. Squats didn't kill me quite as bad. I did better with a work/rest plan than just charging through. Three more weeks of Tabatas and then (hopefully) 22 rounds.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:05 AM   #19
Brandon Oto

Profile:

This project sounds like pulling teeth, Grant. I appreciate you putting yourself through it.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:30 PM   #20
Jason Hopper

Profile:

you are a great american my good sir! in all seriousness thanks for your research and for keeping all of us informed! thanks again...drive on!