CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-21-2007, 09:21 PM   #1
Henry Tyler

Profile:
question concerning little finger.

I realized my grip is weak because my little finger is less developed than my index finger, middle finger, and ring finger is.

Would someone tell me how to develop fingers like these?

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 08-22-2007 at 12:41 AM. Reason: No info given on link status; removed.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:08 PM   #2
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Re: question concerning little finger.

I would be very surprised to find out from someone here who knows more about hands than I do that your weak gripness...no, make that grip weakness, has anything whatever to do with your pinky. That's your politeness at tea time finger, not your pulverize granite to dust finger. If I had to do without a finger that would certainly be the first to go and I'll bet I could hit the shift key just fine with my ring finger. How is it you come to be so accusatory of that outboard digit?
Old 08-22-2007, 05:03 AM   #3
Roger Harrell

Profile:

I'd have to agree with Eugene. Little finger has little to do with grip strength. I can hand just about equally well with my index finger and pinky sticking straight up and only holding on with my ring and middle finger.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:15 AM   #4
Ken Mindoro

Profile:

Grip strength and finger strength are highly correlated. Your small finger contributes only about 13-16% of your total grip strength. If your grip is weak, it may be more helpful to focus on your entire hand instead of on the finger which contributes the least amount of strength.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:25 AM   #5
William Hunter

Profile:

I once read a bunch of strength tips from Dave Tate and he mentioned strengthening the grip of all the fingers, even the wee ones. His tip was to get hold of some of those office paper clips that have the black tent-like side with the wire parts that flip over from back to front (I know I butchered that description). Squeeze them between your thumb and each of the other fingers. Great way to pass the time when the man's not looking over your shoulder.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:21 PM   #6
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

Wow cool tip. I read somewhere (drills and skills?) that crumpling newspaper pages with one hand, starting at the corner, builds grip strength and conditions the tendons/ligaments.

Another thing to check out is rock climbing. If there's one sport that DEMANDS finger and grip strength, it's that one.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:32 PM   #7
Brandon Oto

Profile:

There's those Eagle Loops things.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:33 PM   #8
David Aguasca

Profile:

yeah...for serious, forget individual fingers. you can apply Rip's approach to program complexity vs. your training status. unless you've been seriously involved in grip training for a while, you probably don't need to train individual fingers.

if you want to get a stronger grip, work on your DLs. try farmers walks. if you have rings, spend a bunch of time on those too.

if you really want to get specific, get yourself or make some thick-handled DBs. i know eugene has an Apollon's Axle (2-inch thick barbell) and he can vouch for how fun that is!

rock climbing is also an amazing grip workout.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:13 PM   #9
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

If you really want to work your fingers individually, go to a music store. There's a product you can find in most guitar departments that helps develope individual finger strength. It's called the "Gripmaster".

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ool?sku=429070
Old 08-22-2007, 03:53 PM   #10
Trevor Thompson

Profile:

look up a product IronMind has for this issue specifically...if you are REALLY into grip stuff. I have thought this over and i slightly disagree with any notion of saying, nahh it ain't no big deal, you can manage with no little finger support to an extent. I like to do things like sledge hammer levering and i can tell (from testing this out right now) that if i hold my finger out (the little one) i have less grip, so why not work them all to be as strong as possible? seeing as the little finger is on teh outside of the grip surface it would be a weak link and so it should be carefully watched.

(work and family safe)

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/iro...ts.asp?dept=46