CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-13-2007, 01:46 AM   #1
John Yavero

Profile:
Hello fellas,

Last time I didn't get any response to my question. I guess folks were busy punping iron.

No worries I have a new question.

I am trying to put together because I am skinny and want to bulk up and get strong. Also I play soccer so I was to develop a weight training system for that. I am not a power lifter.

a Since I started living on my own, going to university money and doing part time jobs I know longer have the time or resourses to join a gym. This has forced me to use the equipment I have at home which is a barbell, dumb bell set, chin up bar and push up bar.
I have decided to change my workouts in order to maximise my gains and progress better. When I was at the gym I used to do a light week, medium week heavy week rountine and focus on different muscle groups per day in that week. I did like 6-8 exercises per session. So for e.g

Light week - 10-12 reps

Monday - chest and biceps day
bench incline bench
dips
pec dec
bicep curls
bicep curl doubles (using barbell)

Wednesday - Shoulder and Tricep
wide shoulder press
unilever shoulder press
rear deltoid dec
tri pulldown
Lying Tri Z bar
D/b shrug.

Friday

Lat Pull Down
T-bar
High Lat Pull
Cable Row
Deadlift

Then the next week I would exercises but doing 8reps using medium weight. and the same next week doing 5 reps of heavy weight.

Now I am trying to develop a Conjugate method of Periodization that I can in my garage.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:50 AM   #2
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
90% of your work is spent on arms and chest and you wonder why you're skinny? No offense, but the routine you outlined sucks - and it doesn't matter if you're an athlete or bodybuilder - it still sucks.

I HIGHLY doubt you need to worry about anything other than basic movements and progressive overload at this point.

Buy a copy of Starting Strength. Read it twice.

Good luck!
Old 06-13-2007, 04:53 AM   #3
John Yavero

Profile:
Hey buddy,

This is not my rountine it was giving to me at the fitness gym.

It does include some leg movement on friday and it has exercises like squat, squat machine and calf raises.

So how can I make the program more conjugate.

I mean here is a sample of what I am thinking of doing

monday (max effort) upper body
workout includes
chin ups
push ups
bicep curls
pull over
tricep

WEdnesday (dynamic effort)upper body
same workout

Friday (max effort) lower body
Calve raises
squats
dumbell squats

sunday (dynamic effort)
same

the only problem is where do I fit in the Repetitive method to get the muscular size.

also I don't want to get too huge because I play soccer and I need to be faster at running away from my opponents.

thanks
Old 06-13-2007, 04:56 AM   #4
John Yavero

Profile:
Don't forget the equipment I have at home is limited because I only have a bench, a standard size barbell and a pair dumbells.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:06 AM   #5
Greg Greenough

Profile:
My understanding of crossfit is that it is intended to be done:
a) with little extra equipment (like machines)
b) with the intention of making a person physically prepared to do pretty much any task.
It sounds perfect for what you are trying to accomplish. Follow the WOD's and add in other exercises as you feel necessary. Most of them can be adapted for the equipment you have listed. Crossfit will not only make you faster and physically able to play long soccer matches at higher intensity, but because of the types of total body exercises you'll be doing, it will strengthen your core, improving your balance and kicking power and overall athleticism. Try it for a while, if you don't get anything out of it, try something else. I always found that doing programs like you have listed, taught my body that monday was a day to work upper body, if i tried to work lower body instead, my performance decreased. Because the WOD's can be so random, it seems to keep your body on it's toes more. Hope that helps.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:33 AM   #6
Steven L Blondeau

Profile:
john,

Since you are at the Crossfit site you are likely to get this answer, " Try the WOD. Scale if needed." Anthony is right, your routine from the gym is lame. The routine for home is uninspired and dull. As a soccer player Crossfit would be ideal for you. Read "Getting Started" and "FAQ" on the front page. Try Crossfit for 60 days. I promise you won't go back.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:42 AM   #7
John Yavero

Profile:
well i will try WOD if periodization doesn't work
Old 06-13-2007, 06:44 AM   #8
Peter Dell'Orto

Profile:
The other posters are right - the workout is really upper-body heavy. You would be better off changing your workout to emphasize large compound exercises. The deadlifts, squats, dips, bench presses and chinups are a good set of exercises, so are some kind of rows. Most of the others in your gym workout aren't really that important if you emphasize those. I mean, I haven't bothered with direct arm work in a long time and my arms have grown from doing weighted chins, bench presses, pushups, and so on.

If you're going to stick to a traditional weight routine, you might benefit from looking at places like www.exrx.net. I found the book Brawn by Stuart McRobert (and book on exercise technique) really useful as well - he emphasizes compound exercises in proper form. I haven't read Starting Strength yet, if it doesn't emphasize compound exercises done in proper form I'd be very surprised. You can also follow the other posters' advice and just go crossfit. I haven't done that, but there is no reason it wouldn't work better than what the gym gave you.

I'm new here, but I've been lifting for a while. Hope what I wrote here helps you.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:46 AM   #9
John Yavero

Profile:
I realise that its too upper bosy based and I am changing that but all I want to know is how a conjugate style of periodization would be like if I decided to incorporate these exercises into the program.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:37 AM   #10
Peter Terry Haas

Profile:
1) I second what the others said about giving the WOD a go for 60 days and seeing what happens.

2) That being said, you still seem to want the workout plan you put in above to work in some form or fashion. From what you've said so far, you don't need "conjugate" periodization, you need linear periodization. Focus on getting stronger on basic compound lifts: squat, deadlift, bench press, shoulder press. You should not even be messing w/ all the extra assistance exercises until you establish a good strength base. Don't make stuff any more complicated that it has to be. Once you establish some solid numbers on those lifts, then you can think about conjugate periodization, or some other form of intermediate/advanced planning.

So basically what Anthony said. Buy Starting Strength and read it twice. Do the workouts outlined. Eat. Put on size and strength.