CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 04-17-2005, 09:33 PM   #1
Travis Mulroy

Profile:
It looks like I'm moving to Manhattan this summer (starting grad school at the New School University). I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for the best places to workout. Keep in mind, I will be living on a student's budget, so price is a huge factor. Are there any dirty little gyms where I can o-lift, or perhaps any cheap places to practice gymnastics? Also, I am a big fan of MMA; maybe there are some kickboxiing or jujitsu schools equipped with a weight room?

I am also planning on trying to start up with a local rugby club. Looks like fun. Anyway, does anyone have any tips on staying fit in Manhattan? Any interesting places I should check out?
Old 04-18-2005, 06:36 AM   #2
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Travis

Do you mean the New School for Social Research a/k/a the New School. Like most of out of towners you'll probably have to get used to saying that properly and saying House-ton street instead of Hyooston street. :-)

I've been organizing a little Workout Of the Month in the park. No Oly Lifts though...sorry. Nonetheless, you're welcome to join us when you get here. I have only found one gym that has platforms and that's Peak Performance. However, I heard a rumor that Equinox has platforms and Kettlebells at one of their locations. Some of the universities have platforms but they are usually for varsity teams and not open to the public.

As for jiu-jitsu, I recommend Renzo's. www.renzogracie.com. Renzo also has a kettlebell and kettleclub so you can get some workouts in too.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:51 AM   #3
Norma Loehr

Profile:
I can confirm that Equinox has KBs, bumper plates and oly lift platforms at both 43rd and 5th and Greenwich locations. There are KBs at the Wall Street location as well. Sadly, Equinox is not cheap.