CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:29 PM   #61
Dave Macdonald

Profile:
Mike,
I get it. It's just a tool. However, I believe it's a very powerful and unique one. You will get more out of the content if you watch the whole thing. I am not a simpleton, Mike. I have a lot of life experience, military, etc. I did not start this thread without considering it's value.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:37 PM   #62
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Dave, I admire your passion and fearlessness (is that a word?) in posting something that you probably knew would turn into a ****storm going your way. In the end I know you do what you think is right. Do what you feel is best for your clients and you will always get positive results.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:44 AM   #63
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I'm kind of in the "It's only a couple of bucks" mode, but I have an Intel Mac, so I may have to get the DVD. We're all big boys and girls here and could evaluate worth on our own. I have found things on this board, that I never would have found on my own, that have changed the way I work, play, eat, sleep, and have fun. Someone endorced "Getting Things Done"...lisened to the podcast, bought the book, changed the way I work. The watch and shoes I'm wearing (OVA and Nike Frees) came from recommendations on this board. So I'm pretty open to anything. I'm not suggesting we all become lemmings, evaluate the information individually. I'll order the DVD next week and see what's what. Who knows, I might have the bike of my dreams by next Friday:msn-wink:
Old 01-19-2007, 06:18 AM   #64
Dave Macdonald

Profile:
Larry,
My five year old son watched the video with us a couple days ago. Last night, before bed, he started packing his little suitcase and book bag. He was visualizing a trip to Costa Rica. He wants to go there and meet Dora the Explorer. We are putting up a vision board for him today. Lots of Costa Rica pictures.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:38 AM   #65
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Sorry Dave, but that sounds like you're offering him false hope and illusion of control. Sounds as if one is being disillusioned between perception of the mind and reality. Maybe I'm just looking to far into it.

Besides...to each his own.

(Message edited by steve_liberati on January 19, 2007)
Old 01-19-2007, 06:53 AM   #66
Dave Macdonald

Profile:
Steve,
?????? How about this? As a parent, I recognize my child's desire to see another country and meet people like "Dora" see monkeys, the ocean. We go to the library and get books about Costa Rica. We give our son homework assignments (actions). If he takes those actions, he gets closer to a trip. As parents, who love their child and would not mind going to Costa Rica, we make the trip happen. He learns the importance of believing something is possible and he takes action to get there. Obviously, you can't make this work with Santa, etc. You are getting personal, Steve. Watch the video or go away. At this point, you have no idea what your talking about.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:35 AM   #67
Brendan C. Cook

Profile:
Dave, et al,

"The Secret" was recommended to me by a close friend, and I checked out the site. Like many others here, I found the presentation a bit....much. (wait, don't jump in yet...) However, as a practitioner of Zen, I very much understand the power of the mind (oh this monkey-mind of mine....) and how we truly do create our own realities. This is true in life, in sport, health, etc.

As a healthcare practitioner, I see the effect people have on their own health through their own thoughts and behaviors on a daily basis. In an effort to better my own understanding, as well as develop new means of presenting the information to patients, I have been trying to decide whether or not to watch the video.
Based on the opinions of those here whose words have proven to be true (and have therefore earned my respect even if I don't know them personally), I WILL be watching it.

A truism from one of my teachers, especially as relates to our patient community (not usu. applicable to CFers, btw): "Everybody wants to get better, nobody wants to change."
Now, if you think about that, it's not nearly as fatalistic as it sounds. Besides, he's a Taoist and really like those seemingly cryptic saying
:g::g:
I will be happy to let you and any other interested members know what I think of the video once I have seen more than just the promo clips and what else is out there.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:19 AM   #68
Andy Shirley

Profile:
Dave,
Just wanted to say the my comments were aimed at the video/website(the packaging-marketing of the message), not you personally.

And after watching the preview on youtube, I'm still not sure I'd get on board(I also think its focus on the material is misguided). But I would like a new bike. But if I go out and just buy it myself, does the "universe" still get credit?

I'll probably get bored enough over the weekend to watch it, I'll get back the this thread afterward to comment.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:02 AM   #69
Dave Macdonald

Profile:
Andy, et al,
That short clip is a bit misleading. I just got back from my wife's practice. Most of the patients found the video inspiring. Some had the same feelings you did. I sat and watched the video for the first thirty minutes. The speakers repeatedly reminded the viewer to start with their own happiness (look for these moments). If you don't want to see them, you will not. You must have that for a foundation or all the material objects in the world will not help. Lets remember, we are on the crossfit forum. This is the "Running a Facility Section". Our clients are coming to us for fitness, etc. Does that make them narcissistic? Just because they want something more then the average person? Does the process to attain superior fitness mimic the hard, consistent work it takes to buy the house you want? How about keeping a marriage fresh and full of love? Is the process of obtaining our material and immaterial desires similar? Are material things bad? Or is replacing your joy with material things bad? The video clearly does not promote that. This video is not about wishful thinking. Some individuals will not want the message and will reject the huge amount of personal responsibility it puts on them. It's pretty hard to train someone who does not want to meet that challenge. The client that understands the challenge and believes, has extraordinary potential. Your facility becomes full of extraordinary people. It attracts more extraordinary people. You are an extraordinary coach. You're happy, Your family life is joyful, you drive the car you want, you live in the house you want. This has been done before. The video just supplies a reminder of what we already know. "Thoughts become things" Do you need the video? No. Do you need a C2 rowing machine? No. But it helps.

(Message edited by Dave_macdonald on January 19, 2007)

(Message edited by Dave_macdonald on January 19, 2007)
Old 01-19-2007, 11:24 AM   #70
Edward D. Friedman

Profile:
I scanned the preceding (including archived,)posts in this thread, but did not read every word, so if this has been addressed, please excuse me. ( But I don't think it has.)

How does LoA explain "BAD" stuff where the victim is not "focused" on the resulting negative outcome ? For example, birth defects, playing children swept away in tsunami, etc ? Further, do LoA proponents suggest that if you develop a disease, you "manifested" it with your consciousness ? Are victims of genocide subconsciously "asking for it"?

I love PMA. I do believe that all things being otherwise equal, PMA wins. I believe PMA can create a winning edge. I believe PMA can orient one toward a different, better outcome and, in that way, "create" a better result.

However, I would love someone to explain this issues I raised in terms of LoA.

Thanks