CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:26 AM   #41
Dave Macdonald

Profile:
Skip,
Feel free to share my private email to you. Guys, I am a legitimate member of this forum. I have no connection to this Australian film. I simply wanted to discuss it with folks who were interested. I posted the link more then twice because it keeps getting buried and since we are discussing the film it should be made available. I offered to send $5 dollars to a couple members, because I really want to hear their feedback about the film and ways to deliver the content to clients.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:02 AM   #42
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Dave,

You talked me into not buying the video. Given, though, that skepticism is not inherently unjustified, I'm not sure you have a full claim to ownership of the thread. I will add to other members that the only way he can send you money electronically is probably a way that will open up the reverse flow of money. I have no idea if that's the idea, but it's worth pointing out.

On a lighter note, this reminded me of a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon, 2nd down on this link, which is just four cartoons that are work and family friendly:http://www.gocomics.com/store/gal3.phtml

At that, I'll discontinue posting on this thread.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:20 AM   #43
Douglas Chapman

Profile:
Skip,

Are you wearing a dress?

Be careful using "Bridal Boot Camp" it is a trademark owned by Cynthia Conde. I know because I was contacted three years ago by her with the trademark. I was offering Bridal Boot Camp to focus on the January to June crowd. I changed it to Boot Camp for Brides since it cannot be protected under trademark. I think she has faded away but may be aggressive in protecting her label. (She works out of Gold's in NY)

FYI
Old 01-18-2007, 10:29 AM   #44
James Falkner

Profile:
Interesting how the comments thread on the YouTube intro to The Secret (didn't read the whole 704 messages, so potentially NSFW) flows in much the same way as this thread. I have seen a few people who have destroyed their lives buying into messages of this type, so yes, I choose to remain unenlightened.

(Message edited by schtool on January 18, 2007)
Old 01-18-2007, 10:44 AM   #45
Dave Macdonald

Profile:
You guys just will not let members discuss this topic. Members who have seen the film and want to have a conversation about what they saw. How it can help our clients or not, etc. How pathetic is that? I don't own this thread. There were several members who posted their experiences with the video. If you have a problem with me. Have the balls to call me or send a private email. No one really cares whether you like the web site or the trailer. This thread is/was for members who had seen the film or were interested. However, something in your personality will not let that happen. Is it the satisfaction you get from beating your chest on a public forum? If so, that's sad. At this point, I'm convinced the majority of you would be silent or more civil if we had this discussion in person. I guess this is just life on a forum.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:36 AM   #46
Bill Russell

Profile:
Dave, I might be opening up a can of **** for myself, but what the heck, it's a boring day here in Cleveland!

I've followed your (yes, your) thread all along. You have been very clear that all you want to do is discuss this subject with others who are also interested. I saw no attempt by you to try and convince anyone of anything, other than asking them to ignore your post if they were not interested in having sincere discussions with you on your topic. Seemed fair and logical to me.

I am sorry to see that you have had to deal with grief from seemingly otherwise intelligent and valuable members of this community.(present company excluded of course!):gunsmilie:

I'll take a peak at the video and give you my thoughts. I've always been fan of motivational and leadership oriented material when presented in a compelling manner.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:38 AM   #47
Skip Chase

Profile:
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have to answer my bud, Doug.

Doug,
Yes, I am wearing a dress....Chicks dig me dressing out!!!! Thanks for the tip...we'll change the name to "My wedding gown fits better than Yours!!!!!"

We had a display in a Bridal Faire on Sunday....11 new members in 1 day and the phone and emails are going crazy!!!

www.mtbakercrossfit.blogspot.com
Old 01-18-2007, 11:42 AM   #48
Dave Macdonald

Profile:
Thanks, Bill
I grew up in Chagrin Falls!!!
Old 01-18-2007, 12:06 PM   #49
Douglas Chapman

Profile:
It works really well. Bridal shows are the best. The cool thing is after the wedding when they stick around.

My bridal push does not start until February.

How about this t-shirt idea: "Our brides are more buff than yours"

Lynne is going to slap me for being off topic, but I am going to bribe here with a shirt.

Addressing the thread: Motivation/inspiration is really what we offer as instructors. Learning how to communicate with various personality types and uncovering the true motovators is our service. (beyond training)

IMHO

Old 01-18-2007, 12:56 PM   #50
Adam Kayce

Profile:
(Hopefully sidestepping the fray...)

I saw the Secret, and really enjoyed it. And, I've got ten+ years of experience as a spiritual teacher, and a long-time student of visualization and sports psych.

One of the people in the movie, Denis Waitley, talked a bit about using these techniques with athletes. I've also read lots about using it with athletes, and I've used it myself over the years.

I think the ramifications of using visualization for sports and fitness applications is huge; really huge. And I'd love to see more discussions about HOW that can be done (without such an intense desire to make others believe one way or the other).

Was The Secret (and its website) a bit cheesy? Yeah, I thought so, too. But I don't mind a little cheese before a good meal.