CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-18-2007, 06:53 AM   #31
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Dave,
Those who are "attracted" to seeing the movie will go watch/buy it. Others may not be ready.

I personally really like the movie, it's a heck of a lot better than most Hollywood slop these days--I'll put it on as background audio/visual when I wash dishes and clean the house. Great reminder.

I'm also planning on playing it in my office treatment rooms for those who are interested (laser therapy takes 1/2 to 1 hour per session). I'm waiting right now on earning the money for the DVD players.

This is hearsay, however, I heard that at a motivational seminar my friend was at (Nikken, I believe), the woman who produced the movie was recommending that people burn DVDs at home and give them out to their friends.

For those who think something like this should be free--free things are worth to people exactly what they paid for them (ZERO). Money is a form of energy, giving some should entail receiving some.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:13 AM   #32
Barry Cooper

Profile:
You know, I used to read a lot of motivational books, and listen to motivational tapes. I still will occasionally--I recently got Lance Armstrong's book--but by and large I don't think they work, except to the extent that they teach more effective cognitive styles. "Learned Optimism", by Martin Seligman is a good book in that area.

People that know what they want go get it. Those who don't can't be told what they want in a book. If you know what you want, and don't go get it, you're a chicken. You're afraid something, whether it be failure, pain, change or who knows what. That's not intended to be judgemental, but I think is accurate.

In the old days these things were treated with much more clarity. They understood back then that life isn't easy, and no motivational book or tape or movie is going to make it any easier. There is no intermediate step of "motivation" between desire and action. The action implies the motivation, and the lack of action falsifies it. The only thing that's ever ACTUALLY worked for me was shutting up, turning my brain off, and putting one foot in front of the other.

If people do want to read, though, the best book or set of books in this genre is, in my opinion by far, James Allen's "As a Man thinketh" and his other books. http://www.amazon.com/Wisdom-James-Allen-Including-Prosperity/dp/1889606006/sr=8 -2/qid=1169128707/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/104-0388474-6921555?ie=UTF8&s=books
Old 01-18-2007, 07:22 AM   #33
Andy Shirley

Profile:
Garrett and Dave,
Knowing only what I could gather from the info here and on the Secret website, how can you expect anyone to be enticed by their sales pitch(which is what it is). There is a book, a movie, I'm sure lots of other paraphanalia.

"For those who think something like this should be free--free things are worth to people exactly what they paid for them (ZERO). Money is a form of energy, giving some should entail receiving some."
On the Crossfit messageboard, I find that a highly suspect statement. I found this system(Crossfit) to be worthwhile, and have since invested in it in various ways. I don't see the need to frontload the cost(for someone who knows nothing). If you told me you had the "secret" to feeling great, improved health, etc. All I had to do was pay $5 to watch a video about it, I'd say the same to that as I have to this.

The message is irrelavent. But having read what you(Garrett) have to say, I might check it out(free, if I can find it, on a mac, so can't DL it anyway). Although we don't agree on everything, I still respect your opinion.

My current favorite video: http://richarddawkins.net/home
(the reply to questions part)work and family safe.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:49 AM   #34
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Money makes the world go round....no arguing about that.

Comes down to I find inspiration on my own terms...not being forced to do so...maybe I will watch it in 6mo...or a year from now....or never...and get my inspiration elsewhere. And then I can look back and reflect and say to myself I got the message.

Dave I appreciate your enthusiasm for it...but just say it once and let it sink in for people, otherwise it looks like alteriative motives for promoting it and then all the guards go up for people. I like inspirational books and read them often....I like the message in them....but have to come to it on my terms in my own time.

Just like fitness....no one way is the right way...they all have positive outcomes.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:05 AM   #35
Dave Macdonald

Profile:
Barry,
Define the word coach for me. Are you saying coaches are not necessary? Where do they learn how to be inspirational? Etc , etc,}} etc. The film is full of great coaches.

Andy, How about this? Do not watch it. Once again, the "Secret" is an historical reference. There is no real secret. They are very open and honest about that. The information has been around for a very long time. What makes this video different is the passion and talent of the "coaches" communicating the message. I'll gladly pay my $1000.00 for a crossfit cert. I'll pay for the DVD's, the shirts, newsletter and some of the other paraphernalia. Why? Because I did my research and decide it would make me a better coach. "Sales pitch" This thread started with me asking if anyone had seen it. If not, I provided the link so they could if they were interested. I wanted to discuss how we could use this information in our facilities to inspire clients. That's an important quality coaches should have. "They" did not come here. I did.
Garrett, how come I get the feeling this thread is going exactly as I thought it would? This stuff is hard.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:22 AM   #36
Dave Macdonald

Profile:
Mike,
Check the thread again. I wanted a simple discussion about the film. I was not selling anything. Several members had seen it and we shared some info. All the other negative comments were unrelated to the thread topic. Those members could have just moved on to something they were interested in (they never saw the film). That's how forums should work. It was not my intention to convince anyone to watch the video. I've seen this crap happen in other threads. Some of the same individuals were involved. Their behavior hurts the flow of information on this forum. Frankly, it has more to do with their personality then the info presented. I shared something I found valuable and inspirational. It was quickly called "fluff" "Sales Pitch" and this gem "People that know what they want go get it. Those who don't can't be told what they want in a book. If you know what you want, and don't go get it, you're a chicken. You're afraid something, whether it be failure, pain, change or who knows what" I guess we should all stop being coaches. All by individuals who did not see the video. Grow up, boys. Feel free to contact me by phone or send me a private email so we can leave this thread open to be members who have seen the video.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:40 AM   #37
Dave Macdonald

Profile:
Andy,
I'm sure Dawkins has seen this video and I'm sure he would agree with the information. We are not having a religious discussion.
http://www.thesecret.tv/home.html (work/family safe)
heres the link, since it keeps getting buried.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:48 AM   #38
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Dave,

Do you consider yourself an example of the successful use of this video? Take a moment, breathe, and read back through this thread. If you can't see how some people would feel pushed back, then you're going to need a lot more than this video to get traction in this world.

I strongly recommend Dale Carnegies "How to win friends and influence people". No, I do not practice the techniques all the time myself, but am willing to admit that is a character flaw on my part, not a lack of belief in his ideas. I have many character flaws, which only I can fix, and no book will really help with it, only behavior.

Character used to be the name for the qualities we are supposed to now get from motivational speeches and books. The difference is that it was always understood character had to be earned, and by extension that anyone claiming to generate success without effort was almost definitionally a charlatan.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:08 AM   #39
Skip Chase

Profile:
Dave,
It's old news, freely offered by many motivational speakers throughout the world.(Nikolai Voljov, Dennis Waitley, Zig Ziglar, Nightingale,etc.) Some who have never been in sales or coaching, who have not heard it, will be influenced/impressed.

You've posted the link twice, with the suggestion..go to it, go to it.

Your profile says you are a video producer. I am more inclined to ask, 'What was your part in this video production, and what is your royalty % for driving traffic to the site?':rm_shifty:

www.mtbakercrossfit.blogspot.com
Old 01-18-2007, 09:13 AM   #40
Dave Macdonald

Profile:
Barry,
This is not a relaxation video. As a senior member of this forum you should have a little more respect for the members. If you don't like me or want more information on the topic, email me privately. Or simply skip this thread and move on. "The difference is that it was always understood character had to be earned, and by extension that anyone claiming to generate success without effort was almost definitionally a charlatan." Take your own advice.
"If you can't see how some people would feel pushed back, then you're going to need a lot more than this video to get traction in this world." Here's your problem, Barry. I don't care if you are pushed back. Don't watch it. I'm here to discuss the video with people who have or want to. Simple. Currently, I'm off at individuals like you who dirty threads and make having a conversation about a specific topic next to impossible. You haven't seen the video, Barry. You don't want to. It's Ok. Just let the members who have, discuss it here.