CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 04-30-2006, 12:00 PM   #1
Scott Kustes

Profile:
It's been awhile since any updates on my progress. Given that I just got 30 pullups in a set for the first time, today seems like as good a time as ever. Just thought I'd throw together an all-around testimonial to the effectiveness of a hard month of CF and Paleo/Zoneish.

Bodyfat - I measured bodyfat this week using the tape measure method and according to that, I'm at about 9% bodyfat, so sub-10% is a first also. Even better, I haven't really dropped much weight...went from 185 @ ~11% to 182 @ ~9% in the past month.

Muscle-ups have become increasingly easier, both bar and ring. I've pulled off 4 straight ring MUs and 3 straight bar MUs.

My shoulder - On September 15th, I dislocated my left shoulder. I would say it's 95% healed now. I bench pressed my bodyweight for the first time this week...I had been scared to go there, but decided to go for it. I'm not sure I'll ever go much over bodyweight for bench, but figured I need to get back to bodyweight for lovely ladies like Linda. Shoulder flexibility is returning, but in the end, the dislocation was a "good" thing...it forced me to let a prior injury heal and allowed me to work on Clean form since I couldn't handle much weight.

The Girls - In the month of April, I set a ton of PRs. Max front squat (245), squat clean (185 - I'll have 195 soon), pullups (30), Diane (7:39), Fran (7:04), Elizabeth (5:22), Grace (5:26), and Helen (12:15). I also pulled off a 25:17 Linda with 135lb bench. Not world-class performances, but my performance is steadily increasing.

Basically, getting off the road for a month and being able to just workout has brought everything together. Bodyfat has decreased, strength and power have increased, recovery time is also improving.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:10 PM   #2
Jeff Dale

Profile:
Way to go Scott! Excellent progress!! I wish you continued sucess and full recovery.

Crossfit is awesome medicine, I take it often.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:54 PM   #3
Rene Renteria

Profile:
Wow, what a fantastic month! Would you say your rest, recovery, and sleep were particularly good, too? Or did this happen with the same R&R but mainly from better diet and letting those injuries heal while still going hard?

Best,
Rene'
Old 05-01-2006, 05:22 AM   #4
Scott Kustes

Profile:
R&R has been great. I've been in bed by 10-10:30 most nights and up between 7:30 and 9 everyday (working from home for the record). A contrast shower every couple days has been very helpful too. On top of that, diet has been top notch - 90-95% adherence to Paleo and eyeball Zone (a touch of Easter candy and a few beers). And finally, I've been working on flexibility hardcore. Flexibility has always been a weak point of mine, but I'm lightyears ahead of where I was. I am almost touching my toes if that tells you how bad my flexibility was. I think that has helped on these PRs by keeping me from fatiguing as fast from fighting against stiff muscles.

Course, I'm about to go back on the road, so progress will slow and I'll go back into more of a maintenance mode with CF workouts Friday to Sunday and some bodyweight stuff in the hotel.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:11 AM   #5
Michael Ledney

Profile:
I witnessed Scott's 12:15 Helen out of the corner of my eye (I think I hit 12:30 or so that time). That was a pretty good day.

After basking in our glory for 15 mins or so he got me back in the garage for cleans and I believe he hit a PR there.

You need to get back to my side of the river Scott, that's the last really good workout I've had.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:31 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Nice job, Scott. You're a tribute to prudent rehab and the black box.

Or maybe it's just the nightshades...:happy:
Old 05-02-2006, 07:17 AM   #7
Mark Brinton

Profile:
Congratulations, Scott. Speaking as someone whose also suffered shoulder dislocations, I'm really impressed with your amazing return to form.

Apropos Garrett's comment; I only wish I had been as clued in as you in regard to proper rehabbing of my dislocated shoulders way back when. Way to go!
Old 05-02-2006, 08:42 PM   #8
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Thanks guys! It was really rather odd how well the dislocation went back together (once we take out an agonizing 6 hours of sitting with my shoulder like this: Dislocation)

I was working with a PT within a couple weeks and by the end of our 4 weeks together, she was impressed with the progress. Lots of work with resistance bands and a medicine ball, plus I was doing hangs and pullups as much as I could. I couldn't go to full extension on my pullups at first because the shoulder wasn't "put together" correctly. Basically the ligaments holding the collarbone and scapula were stretched out such that the shoulder joint wasn't rotating back correctly so that the arm could go straight up. But I think all of the functional CF work before the dislocation had the muscles where they "knew" what to do. Once the joint had time to get over the extreme trauma, strength started returning very quickly.

Then Jeff Martin had an article in the CFJ about shoulder rehab...serendipity! Basically, I credit my condition due to pre-injury CF for my ability to recover with even better performances in post-injury CF.

(Message edited by sk12879 on May 02, 2006)
Old 05-11-2006, 08:22 PM   #9
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Well, I went to Michael Ledney's again tonight and threw up 195 on the clean (PR). Ok, it wasn't so much of a "throw" as it was I pulled it off. Missed on 3 straight attempts, but I wasn't leaving without nailing it. Got it on the 4th try, missed again on the 5th and called it a night. Yay for me!
Old 05-12-2006, 04:34 AM   #10
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Scott, great job...injuries all healed! Impressive.