CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 06-13-2005, 05:46 AM   #1
Matthew Townsend

Profile:
It's a good, fatigued sore. I don't feel as though I'm injured. It's my legs that have really taken a pounding with the 4 * 50 squats on the first day. Since then, they've not really recovered.

My shoulders and elbows are also a bit sore from the pull ups and dips this morning.

I'm wondering whether my body's telling me to warm up a bit better, or whether this is just the direct consequence of pushing myself while exercising.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:52 AM   #2
Peter Galloway

Profile:

Probably the latter Matt - there's nothing unusual about experiencing soreness after your first few WODs! Your body is not used to performing the sort of work that the WOD requires, it'll take a while to adapt. Maybe you should consider "coasting" through a WOD or two if the stiffness is excessive.

EDIT: Just to expand on that last point a little, very few people are able to go "all out" on each and every WOD - there's no shame in holding back every now and then. Listen to your body; if you are sore, it might be an idea to cut the volume or intensity and use the WOD as active recovery. As a beginner, this is especially important - many a person has crashed and burned by trying to do too much, too soon.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:09 AM   #3
Chris Longley

Profile:
I remember my first run-in with Tabata Squats - I had trouble walking down stairs for a week my quads were so sore!

If you just feel 'fatigued sore' then that's completely normal. You'd know if you were 'injured sore'. Like Peter said, it might be worth coasting through a WOD or two - going through the motions is a great exercise in active recovery. It's also good for you mentally to be able to turn down the intensity now and again - a lot of people burn out because they don't want to stop pushing themselves. Adequate recovery is just as important as working out.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:26 AM   #4
Peter Galloway

Profile:

Funnily enough, for tonight's workout I'm planning to coast through the 400m/50 squats WOD that you mentioned at the top of this thread (I'm running several days behind at the moment). My hamstrings and lower back are still toasted after yesterday's painstorm, so I'm not going to be pushing for any records. I'll just work at about 75-80% intensity and aim to simply get through it. My hope is that by tomorrow the stiffness should be gone - I shall let you know if this is the case or not!
Old 06-13-2005, 08:44 AM   #5
Graham Hayes

Profile:
I did what Peter said with todays WOD, coasting through "Dating Sage" after the Painstorm before really got me back on track, not only that seemed to give me a boost...felt really strong after that.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:17 AM   #6
Peter Galloway

Profile:

Well...

Took it easy last night (although I was still gassed by the end!) My lower back was screaming during the runs, but has loosened up somewhat today. Hammies are still stiff though. So, a partial success!
Old 06-14-2005, 04:18 AM   #7
Brendan Melville

Profile:
Active recovery is a great way to go. Release that tension and soreness that pains you on your rest day, and makes you feel less like you're bumming around for the day! Just keep everything slower and lighter than normal, and you'll most likely feel better afterwords.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:47 PM   #8
Ben Krey

Profile:

My advice:
1) Work as hard as you can without injury (especially tendonitis)
2) Give yourself ample recovery
2) Think long term

Welcome aboard!!