CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-16-2007, 06:21 PM   #1
John Lively

Profile:
I dont know if I am allowed to talk about it but I am wondering if the book "eating for life" by Bill Phillips would be useful for this type of training. I know it was a great help for me doing the usual bodybuilding routines. Bill's philosophy has helped me a great deal.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:50 PM   #2
Sean Harrison

Profile:
I eat that way. It's good and wholesome and easy to follow. Though you will likely get many responses after mine disagreeing with it.
I have tried Zone a couple of times and couldn't get along too well due to the low amount of starchy carbs available on it. I know many say that the Zone is NOT low-carb, but it basically is when you can't eat rice, bread or potatoes on it. I really don't want to eat piles and piles of green vegetables so as not to feel insanely hungry. I always caved by eating too much cheese and too many nuts to stop my hunger.
If the Zone/Paleo works for you then go ahead, but I couldn't do it.
I looked my best and all felt my best when I ate clean and like Eating For Life.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:49 AM   #3
Graham Tidey

Profile:
Ok, you got my interest. However I am a lazy web surfer. Any good links?
Old 04-17-2007, 06:04 AM   #4
Sean Harrison

Profile:
www.eatingforlife.com

:bangin: (sorry!)
Old 04-17-2007, 07:00 AM   #5
David Wood

Profile:

John: You're "allowed" to talk about pretty much anything, as long as it's on-topic for the section it's in (we'll probably move it if it's not), and as long as you stay within the AUP (basically, requires polite discourse, reasoned argument, and no personal attacks).

The Zone is as close as we get to an "official" CrossFit dietary recommendation, and it seems to produce great results in those that can follow it.

But there's no requirement to follow it . . . I don't (don't have that much discipline available). I'm probably closer to the Eating for Life program than anything else (never really thought of that way), and it is certainly far better than the "SAD" (Standard American Diet).

Old 04-17-2007, 01:36 PM   #6
Gant Grimes

Profile:

I started CF a couple months ago to rehab old sports injuries and get myself back in shape. I have been following the Zone (more or less) with some variance in the types of carbs and fat content. My totals have gone up, my bodyfat has gone down, and I feel fantastic!

Let me know when these peer reviews are done so I know if this "works" or not. :whistling:
Old 04-17-2007, 02:21 PM   #7
Leah Turner

Profile:
what's the fundamental principle of Eating for Life?
Old 04-17-2007, 03:51 PM   #8
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Eating for Life is the food portion of Body for Life (and a separate book with recipes). It's basically this (going from memory, hope I'm right):

1. six small meals a day (fist-sized portion of meat and fist-sized portion of carb)
2. two of the meals should have greans (I don't think there is a limit on this)
3. reasonably low fat (many meals have some cheese for instance)

Supplements can substitute for convenience, but it isn't necessary.

Most things are allowed minus simple-sugars and very fattening things. That said, you get one cheat day per week to eat whatever you want. This is supposed to be combined with his workout program (3 days/wk strength training, 3 days/wk intervals).

It's probably not as precise as the zone or as clean as paleo...but is meant for people starting with nearly zero knowledge about nutrition and exercise (or people too lazy to do calculations, like me...but can eyeball most things).

I hope this helps. I doubt BFL is as good as the zone/paleo/crossfit...but I think it is a very effective program, especially for folks used to eating chips and doing nothing physically.

howard