CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-05-2011, 02:19 PM   #1
Bryan Young

Profile:
Hello Mt. Everest

Hello everyone. I am Bryan Young and I just started CrossFit a couple of days ago. I was an athlete in HS, but nothing since. I am 37, 5'11" and 238 lbs...pretty round in the middle needless to say. I have been browsing the site, learning the lingo and after watching many of the videos and doing my first WOD, I feel like I am at the base of Everest looking up at all you awesome CrossFit elites!

However, as discouraging (that I have so far to go) as that can be AND as much as that first WOD leveled me and made me feel worse than 2-A-Day football practice in the August sun, I am strangely loving CrossFit more everyday, and you elites have awakened the competitive gene that I thought was lost forever. I do not have a box in my city, but I'll do what I can with what I have (until i can start my own one day )

Really, I just wanted to intro myself to the forums and say hello! This seems to be a great community, and I will take all the advice you will give!
Old 05-05-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
Jay Lalik

Profile:
Re: Hello Mt. Everest

Everytime I think I am in shape I find something that I am not good at. It is great though, crossfit keeps making you improve because you can NEVER beat the WOD, you can only improve on it.

Keep it up. The weight will come off and everything will be much easier. Good luck.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Start a workout log. Today.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:10 AM   #4
David Hansen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Young View Post
Hello everyone. I am Bryan Young and I just started CrossFit a couple of days ago. I was an athlete in HS, but nothing since.
You'll be fine. You have a major advantage over those of us who were stuffed into the proverbial locker by guys like you in high school. Many of us started with absolutely no athletic background whatsoever, so consider yourself fortunate. Just work hard, and results will follow.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
Bryan Young

Profile:

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! That is too funny David, but rest assured, I never stuffed anyone in a locker!

I think the biggest obstacle for me at this point is the lack of strength coupled with being very uncomfortable with the power-lifting movements, especially things like the front squat.

Anyone ever struggle with form at first? I am assuming it gets much easier the more you do it and as more weight comes off.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:51 AM   #6
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Yes. Even elite athletes must constantly be aware of form flaws creeping in. Going it alone, you'll probably want to video tape yourself so you can see what you're doing.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #7
Daniel Sont

Profile:

Here is something that might help you
http://www.leangains.com/2010/01/marshmallow-test.html (safe for work)
Old 05-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #8
Brian Flick

Profile:

Bryan,
Like you, I was an athlete in HS and early college, but stopped every kind of activity ALL together after I stopped playing baseball. What I didn't stop was my eating. I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted, since I was always playing and burning off the crap I was eating. In HS I couldn't gain weight, but now there I was 36 years old and 230lbs. Finally after almost a year of "playing" at working out and eating "right," I made the decision last Sept 2010 to just do it, and I'm now down to 180ish depending on the day

Like Tamara said, start a log, but I say not only a workout log, start a food log as well. You really don't know what, or how much you are really eating, until you see it down on paper, or online, I used livestrong for my diet log. The workouts will help, but that's less than 50% of the game IMHO. My next step with my diet is to get cleaner with what I eat, and hopefully I can bring my abs back out from underneath the layer of fat that is hiding them.

I've only been crossfitting since mid Dec 2010, and like you, I struggle with the power-lifting movements. It's probably because I have never done them before, baseball players in HS and early college aren't taken to the gym by their coaches (even though now I know they should be), but I seem to pick up on the quickly. So just keep practicing them, even break them down into smaller components. Then practice that one part over and over until it feels comfortable, I wouldn't think your weight has anything to do with bad form. And like Jason said, everyone has to pay attention to their form, I really can see how bad form could creep in on some WoDs when you are getting tired.

Keep up the work man, and post updates, I know I love to read others victories. Since you're not at a box, at least try and get a workout partner that you can be accountable to, and IMHO not your significant other.

Oh and it does get easier, I promise. I can do unassisted pull-ups, but couldn't when I started in Dec.

Daniel - Like the Marshmallow Test article. The quote "Diet and training is part of their life, and it blends in beautifully," is basically what I keep trying to tell my buddy who I workout with.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:05 PM   #9
Bryan Young

Profile:

That was an awesome article, Daniel! I have been thinking the very same things in my mind as of late. And thanks for the advise and encouragement, Brian. I have decided that if this is going to be a life-change event, there is no need in rushing to make an unrealistic goal; just learn the correct form with lighter weight, and it will pay off in the end.

As far as diet, I am eating Primal/Paleo. I have been on it two weeks, and I am keeping a video blog that I will share with you guys eventually. Because of you all, I have decided to create additional posts to blog my workouts. Griff really killed me the other day...wow!

Again, thanks everyone! I am learning everyday.