CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-03-2011, 02:30 AM   #11
Dave Traeger

Profile:
Re: Let's define "noob"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Forte View Post
I'm such a noob that I have a question I'm almost too embarrassed to ask, but here goes...

How OFTEN do you work out? Does Work Out of the Day mean EVERY day?

My common sense tells me there must be a day or two off each week but I'm not sure.

How often is the average member here working out? What should I strive for? Any insights appreciated.

Thanks!
As Rebecca said, but when beginning really depends on your own ability/capacity. EG If you're a couch potato currently 3 times a week will be all you'll be able to recover from to start with.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:46 AM   #12
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Shivers View Post
TGIF!

Now, I know that we are all working on our own specific goals. But - I'm wondering how long one should consider themselves a CrossFit newbie. I started February 1, 2011, going 2x a week for 6 weeks, then upping to 3x a week since. I was a decently athletic person until the last decade of my life, and never did much lifting. I'm a healthy weight (although have some body fat to lose). I have been giving 200% in WODs and class, and I've slowly changed some habits (easing into Paleo, only eating non-packaged foods, slowly cutting out sugar etc).

However, I am consistently at the bottom of the class as far as WOD performance, and I consistently use the lowest # (and never RXed WODs, or maybe not never but rarely). The running kills me. I accepted all of this with great humility but after three months of busting my tail, I'm surprised I'm not improving more. Should I feel okay about this - because I'm still new? I do have a slightly back issue that does keep me from going up in weight too quickly with the lifting but in general, I'm surprised I'm not improving more.

I don't have my notebook with me to tell you examples, but hopefully you get my question. I just need reassurance that I should keep doing what I'm doing (trying, and having a good attitude, despite getting my butt handed to me on a constant basis). I mean, I guess I'm still new?
Amy, are you training at CrossFit Asheville?

Anyway, if you read my log from the beginning, you can see that I got my @ss kicked by everyone else for a long time. Oh, and running sucks. And, yeah...you just have to stick with it .
Old 05-03-2011, 02:02 PM   #13
Chad Anderson

Profile:

NOOB to my thinking is anyone who has been crossfitting less than a year.

6 months in and we have only hit a few WODs for the 2nd time. I am just beginning to see some progress in flexibility and am starting to understand how to "think" through a WOD to make sure I start with the proper pace.

Under 8 minute WOD I can stay in the game as long as they don't include DU's. The WODs that take our best members 18-20 will take me 30, and if they did any scaling it will take me 40 if I do not scale.

I really don't care as I am built for power, not stamina. It is not a bad thing for me to get 40 minutes of major VMAX effort to their 20.

Ohhh, and running sucks! I married an NCAA 800 and Cross Country runner to do my running! I fondly remember never competitively running more than a 200! Now we are running a mile and a half again for the military...major suck. I digress.

Amy- I am betting you are getting results, but because we are prone to compare ourselves to others, we do not notice our own progress.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:29 PM   #14
Erin Elizabeth

Profile:

I totally understand coming in last and feeling like you're just not measuring up to those around you. You HAVE to stay away from comparing yourself with others. Only compare to your past self. Write down your WOD's and how much you lifted/ how many reps. Then, look through once a month or so and see how you- only you- are progressing.

These last few weeks have been brutal for me in Crossfit. I am about 8 months in now. In my head, I think I should be right up there doing everything Rx'd just like everyone else. But, I am me. My body is different, I'm coming from "couch", and I don't have time to Crossfit 6 days a week.

Hang in there. I am sure you are doing an amazing job. Did y
Old 05-05-2011, 06:08 PM   #15
Chris Forte

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
There are rest days programmed in if you are following cf.com, they run on a 3 days on 1 day off schedule always. The "recommendation" for best results is 3 on 1 off or 5 on 2 off, most people do not start out there but its not hard to work up to as long as you are taking care of yourself.
Rebecca,

Thanks for the reply - much appreciated. 3 days on and 1 day off is what I'll shoot for. I've been weight training for about a year but it's nothing like Crossfit! Wow. My body is struggling to keep up. I keep telling myself, "If it was easy everyone would do it!"