CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-14-2010, 05:13 PM   #71
Eileen Schreiber

Profile:
Re: Overwhelmed - Help getting started!

but really i AM post op knee surgery and OLD so i am an amazing case study for all of this! if i don't say so myself...

Old 07-14-2010, 08:18 PM   #72
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Andrea,

I've probably got several or more years on Eileen..( ) and tore three of the four quad tendons off my right knee three years ago due to a slip and fall. I had some issues with scar tissue and proper tracking of the knee cap about a year later (two months before I started CF) and took on a course of PT. Since starting CF, my knee problems are basically gone. Period. And I was told not to do deep (below, or even sometimes to parallel) squats.

Also, it is my understanding that one of the great weight lifting coaches, Mark Rippetoe (a name you'll probably hear or see often with CF) does not even have an ACL in one of his knees - - he tore it early on and because he squats properly and with good depth, does not experience the problems others in his peer group do. Just food for thought.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:04 PM   #73
Andrea Grunberger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen R. Lampl View Post
Andrea,

I've probably got several or more years on Eileen..( ) and tore three of the four quad tendons off my right knee three years ago due to a slip and fall. I had some issues with scar tissue and proper tracking of the knee cap about a year later (two months before I started CF) and took on a course of PT. Since starting CF, my knee problems are basically gone. Period. And I was told not to do deep (below, or even sometimes to parallel) squats.

Also, it is my understanding that one of the great weight lifting coaches, Mark Rippetoe (a name you'll probably hear or see often with CF) does not even have an ACL in one of his knees - - he tore it early on and because he squats properly and with good depth, does not experience the problems others in his peer group do. Just food for thought.
It really is great to hear from you & Eileen...and as i get more into CF (cause I WILL!)...I can promise you that it is something that will be in the back of my head when seeing patients.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:13 PM   #74
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Thanks, Andrea.

I think it's wonderful that more people in your profession are becoming acquainted with CF. Kelly Starret (I believe his name has been mentioned in this thread) is a CrossFit Affiliate owner and a PT. He is also on the CF HQ training staff and teaches certifications in Mobility and Recovery....

The great thing about being a PT is you are innately familiar with the human anatomy and its mechanics. I believe this knowledge greatly enhances one's abilities at becoming more proficient as a CrossFitter and at the same time, helps to avoid injuries. I think it's also wonderful you have an open mind; while there are training and rehab protocols which often suggest performing certain movements or exercises, there are others which suggest avoidance; not necessarily beneficial to all patients and/or trainees.

Rock on, Andrea!
Old 07-20-2010, 09:15 AM   #75
Helen Lawson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea Grunberger View Post
Anyways, I have access to a gym, but the crappy part is that the weight room (with the bar to to C&Js, etc) is totally separate from the cardio room. The cardio room has rowing maching & free weights up to 50lbs. There are also 2 diff weighted kettle balls, but no free wall to do those wall ball thingies (all mirrors!!) It also has a gravity-assisted dip/pull up machine & basic pull up bar. It would ruin the workouts if I had to go in between the 2 rooms...sooo stupid!
I worked out in a gym that had a similar situation: The pull-up bars were all upstairs and barbells & squat racks, etc... were all downstairs. This added an entirely new dimension to some of the metcons as I frantically ran up/down stairs between exercises! Give it a try...see what happens...especially if you are there at a time when its not too busy it might actually enhance the workout by sprinting between stations! Sometimes though i would sprint up the stairs and someone would be (for real) stretching thier hamstrings on the pull-up/dip station.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:18 AM   #76
James White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Lawson View Post
I worked out in a gym that had a similar situation: The pull-up bars were all upstairs and barbells & squat racks, etc... were all downstairs. This added an entirely new dimension to some of the metcons as I frantically ran up/down stairs between exercises! Give it a try...see what happens...especially if you are there at a time when its not too busy it might actually enhance the workout by sprinting between stations!

+1

Do work. :-)
Old 07-20-2010, 10:44 AM   #77
Andrea Grunberger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Lawson View Post
I worked out in a gym that had a similar situation: The pull-up bars were all upstairs and barbells & squat racks, etc... were all downstairs. This added an entirely new dimension to some of the metcons as I frantically ran up/down stairs between exercises! Give it a try...see what happens...especially if you are there at a time when its not too busy it might actually enhance the workout by sprinting between stations! Sometimes though i would sprint up the stairs and someone would be (for real) stretching thier hamstrings on the pull-up/dip station.
hahaha i actually considered this...but it is probably a good 300m (?? i'm bad at estimating distances) with one really steep flight of stairs; a narrow hallway frequently filled with children during the summer AND I would have to go through 2 different turn-styles & enter my code & wait for it to scan my hand BOTH times.