CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-04-2010, 06:17 AM   #1
Adam Carlson

Profile:
Bill Starr/SS/WODing/CFSB

So I've tried CFSB, and while I enjoyed it, I'm thinking of switching out to a combination of SS and Bill Starr on M/W/F and some metcon work on T/Th. Rest is on the weekend. I'd like to get some feedback to see if my plans are hogwash or on the right track.

For the lifting days, I'll be lifting alone, and so don't want to bench press. I do want to increase my CFT, so I'm replacing the bench with the press and the incline bench suggested by Starr with a push press (which Rip suggests is a good assistance exercise on a different day anyway). I'm also toying with the idea of replacing Starr's bent over row with a power clean. So, this is what it would look like:

M

Squat
Press
Power Clean

W
Squat
Push Press
Deadlift

F

Squat
Press
Power Clean

On Tuesday and Thursday would be shortened metcon WODs, nothing over 15 minutes, and primarily using body weight exercises while throwing in the occasional OHS (a goat movement for me), thruster (I hate them and need to get better at them), kettlebell movement, or wall ball, the last three looking primarily at maintaining explosiveness.

I'm thinking about running this for a six week cycle and reevaluating at the end. Possible go back to CFSB, maybe try the west-side bias or the conjugate system, or maybe just do mainsite WODs. Or, if things go really well for me, maybe do another cycle of 6 weeks.

Any thoughts? My main focus here is to increase strength without losing too much metcon ability.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
Todd Rehm

Profile:
Re: Bill Starr/SS/WODing/CFSB

My experience is that I make better progress on the Press when it's alternated with the Bench Press. The Bench Press allows use of heavier weights than the Press, and for many lifters, may allow use of heavier weight than even a push press.

And Rip doesn't say that Push Press is always a good assistance for the press, but that for some lifters it might be appropriate.

Used as an assistance exercise, the shortcoming of the Push Press is that it works pressing strength mainly on the lockout portion of the movement. It does very little to increase the bottom-end drive, and may weaken the drive off the chest as you get used to throwing a little hip and knee into it.

This may lead to form problems with the press as you begin to rely on leg-drive.

Push-Press may be more appropriate as an assistance exercise for the Press if you're missing your presses in the upper-third of the movement.

But most people I see fail presses fail by either (a) not having enough initial drive to move the bar off the shoulders, or (b)somewhere in the first third of the movement thye hit a sticking point. Push-press doesn't do much to address these failures.

You can safely bench press alone in a rack if you have access to one.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I agree with not leaving the bench out. Don't use collars and a thumbless grip and you'll be fine.

If you fail, you lower the bar to your chest and roll it toward your hips. You then stand up with it. It doesn't feel good, but it's not that that
Old 02-04-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
Donald Lee

Profile:

If you have a power rack that allows it, you can bench press safely in there, with the pins set to take the bar if it drops.

Are you planning on doing Heavy-Light-Medium? Also, you may want to play around with the intensity of the metcons to ensure that you're recovered for your strength workouts. For example, you may want Tuesday's to be more intense and Thursday's to be a light metcon.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:18 PM   #5
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Also remember, the light medium and heavy days don't refer to weight necessarily, they refer to effort. I got burned by that one time

So lets say your 5rm on the squat is 395.

light day might be 305 for 2 sets of 5.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:19 PM   #6
Damon Stewart

Profile:

Love Starr's HLM protocol. That guys been doing this since before most of us were in diapers. If you haven't actually read his article on it you'll probably want to.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:23 PM   #7
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the feedback.

As for the bench press, I might throw that in on W then, but not go super heavy since I don't have an adjustable power rack I do see the value in BPing, just didn't want to get hurt lifting alone. I also will keep the weights lighter than where I can max out in order to avoid bad situations.

I also like the hard/medium metcon split for t/th. Hadn't thought
about that.

As for the weights, I will be following Starr's medium-light-heavy protocol.

Overall, this isn't a bad plan?
Old 02-04-2010, 03:34 PM   #8
Todd Rehm

Profile:

I can't tell which day of the week is Heavy day, but I'd put the bench press on the heavy day because even giving yourself a margin for error, it'll likely be heavier than your press day.

FWIW, I'd ease my way into it and monitor your recovery. I'm thinking in particular of Weds, Thurs, Fri, which looks like it'll be brutal.

I'm sure you have a reason for programming it the way you did, but I'd consider splitting up that WTF with a rest day in there, at least initially.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:17 AM   #9
Nick Hoffman

Profile:

I agree with Jamie.

Benching without a spotter is safe as long as you don't do something stupid. You should be able to feel wether or not that next rep will be doable, and if you go for it and end up not being able to get it up, you can safely dump it by not using collars.