CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-07-2009, 04:38 PM   #11
Adam Carlson

Profile:
Re: Freakishly frustrated coach

Thanks all for the great advice. You guys have some really good ideas, and I've already started throwing some of them in to the mix.

Some clarifying on my situation:

I've lived in Japan for most of my life. My parents are missionaries (and still over here), and we moved to Japan when I was 20 months old. I went to Japanese elementary school and speak, read, and write fluent Japanese. I transfered to an American school in junior high. I'm 27 now.

The school that I work at is that same American school that I graduated from: Christian Academy in Japan. Regardless of the fact that the school is based off of the American system, the quality of our sports program is up and down at best. Coaches come and go, and the same with students. Our successes have come mainly off of the backs of a 'perfect storm' of natural athletes just happening to be in the same team at the same time. We always have 1 or 2 upper level athletes on any given team, but 1 person can't make a VB, BB, or any other team win. It's gotta be the whole team raised to an upper level. Our VB team just lost that 'perfect storm' group a couple of years ago, and we've been having trouble since. Our basketball team hasn't won a league game in 3 years. Our soccer team has been great, but again, a lot of the key players have graudated or moved somewhere else.

Being an American school, we do our sports in seasons (as opposed to the Japanese 'club' system where they stay in the same activity year-round). That means that any given season has 10 to 14 weeks. The kids often think, 'I'll get in better shape by the end of the season', rather than, 'I want to walk into tryouts in great shape so I can kick butt all season'. Our student population is becoming more and more Asian (mainly Japanese and Korean), and both cultures don't do much in the way of strength training and conditioning to prepare. It's a lot of technique, technique, technique. When the Japanese high school or college BB teams come to our school to scrimmage, they have beautifully well done technique, but (at least in the past when I was a high schooler here) they could never keep up with the explosiveness or strength of the guys we put on the court. That's not the case anymore.

Thankfully, it's the fall season still, and both the girls' and boys' BB coaches have expressed interest in having me work with their teams. The Tennis teams have also booked time with me. The problem for some of the coaches is that they feel as if there is not enough time to get all of the technique stuff in that they put conditioning on the back burner.

Oh well, it'll just take some time. The same girls who are playing VB right now will be on the BB team, and they'll be getting trained in the winter season. Hopefully they'll go back to their VB coach and say, 'could we do this next season in the fall? It helped us a lot!'

Thanks again all, much appreciated.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:09 PM   #12
Alec Sean Kellish

Profile:

You should come to the States my coach doesn't like crossfit!
Old 10-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #13
Norman Tasfi

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Carlson View Post
It's a lot of technique, technique, technique. When the Japanese high school or college BB teams come to our school to scrimmage, they have beautifully well done technique, but (at least in the past when I was a high schooler here) they could never keep up with the explosiveness or strength of the guys we put on the court. That's not the case anymore.

The problem for some of the coaches is that they feel as if there is not enough time to get all of the technique stuff in that they put conditioning on the back burner.

Reminds me of an article I read from the journal by Mark Rippetoe, he mentions that strength can make up for poor technique, but they are related, since basic technique is still required. Here is a quote from the article:

Quote:
Technical ability allows strength to be demonstrated
more efficiently; however, having better technique does
not make one stronger. Both are necessary, and both
should be coached, trained for, and appreciated with
equal enthusiasm.
So maybe have the classes setup something like this
warm up [stretch etc]
technique [specific to that sport]
CrossFit WOD

That way you can still offer the technique that they want to hammer into the kids and still have the strength+conditioning aspect you need.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:44 PM   #14
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Alec - sorry man, Japan is home

Norman - thanks, I like the quotes you posted in there. I think I'll reference them in something I'm going to type up for the winter and spring coaches. Ideally I would put into use what Dave Tate had talked about in one of his videos - using athlete's weaknesses as their warm ups (his example included running passing patterns, etc.).

I got word back from the VB coach, and they've realized 2 things: that what the athletic coordinator and I are trying to offer through this is extremely valuable and useful; and that the team should have started doing this in the pre-season.

I'm looking forward to the winter season. I've got kids coming in wanting to get ready, and hopefully it will pay off. My position is only guaranteed for one year, but the athletic coordinator and I are hoping to offer a quality program that will make it hard to throw away.

As always, I appreciate this community and the input that people have. Thanks all!
Old 10-12-2009, 07:18 PM   #15
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Sean Kellish View Post
You should come to the States my coach doesn't like crossfit!
ahem.... god why? I would love to be in japan again... and actually stay awhile. The place is far too cool to leave.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:53 PM   #16
Alex McRobie

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
ahem.... god why? I would love to be in japan again... and actually stay awhile. The place is far too cool to leave.
i think he was kidding...
Old 10-13-2009, 02:15 PM   #17
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex McRobie View Post
i think he was kidding...
really?????????? I didnt see that... sheesh.