CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-07-2003, 04:28 AM   #1
Scott Parker

Profile:
for about two months i had followed a "loose" paleo diet (actually, i didn't even know what the paleo diet was at the time, it just happened to be the way i started eating.) then i decided to go back to my "old way" of eating just to see what would happen. i can pretty much eat anything i want and not gain weight, so that wasn't an issue, i just wanted to eat a healthier diet and have always had problems with feeling light-headed all of the time, even after i eat. after going back to the old way, i started feeling like crap again and was convinced that the paleo diet was right for me. so for the last two weeks i have been on a stricter paleo diet and feel great. with robert wolf's advice i picked up a copy of loren cordain's book, which was very helpful and informative. i just have a few questions for those of you following a paleo diet:

what type of oil do you use, and how much of it? i have been using olive oil exclusively, but am thinking of switching to flaxseed or canola oil because these oils have a better omega 6 to omega 3 ratio. do you exclusively use one of these oils, or a combination of them?

how much fruit is too much? i have been using fruit in between meals (i eat about 6 meals a day), and can put away a lot of it!

should i limit my intake of vegetables like onions that contain high amounts of sugar?

finally, i usually sautee my veggies in oil to get in extra calories because like i mentioned before, it's actually hard for me to keep weight on. i am currently 6'2 and weigh 170 (this is the most i have ever weighed and can only attribute it to a rigorous workout regiment in the last four months that has led to gaining 6 lbs. of muscle - don't laugh! it's a good weight for a climber!). is there such a thing as too much oil in this instance, and if so, what are some paleo foods that will help me maintain my weight? i eat some form of lean meat/fish with almost every meal, and also eat a fair amount of nuts, but also know that a lot of nuts have a very high omega 6 to omega 3 ratio which is not good!

i would like to thank everyone who has answered my posts and offered advice! it is all very informative and helpful - especially for someone who is new to this way of eating and training! sorry about the long post, but i want to learn as much as i can! thanks again!

scott

Old 01-07-2003, 04:32 AM   #2
Scott Parker

Profile:
i forgot to ask about eggs - i know some of you have mentioned before that they make you feel like crap, but they don't seem to bother me at all and i really like them. i always use only the whites, and have started buying the ones enriched with omega 3. any thoughts about eggs?

scott
Old 01-07-2003, 11:40 AM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Scott-

I use a lot of olive oil. About 1/4 cup per meal and occasionally a bit more. I also include coconut oil, raw walnuts and macadamias. the n-3/n-6 profiles of these nuts are not bad. however I try to get the bulk of my n-3 in the form of EPA/DHA which is the form the body really wants. I do this by eating grass fed meat, n-3 enhanced eggs, and fish oil ( I do the carlsons lemon flavored oil...the stuff barry sears sells is excellent as well)

The n-3's in flax, walnut and other non animal sources must be elongated and additionally desaturated by enzyme systems of our body. This is a highly inefficient process and you get tinny amounts of epa/dha out with large input of shortchain n-3's. This IMO creates a high potnetial oxidative load and in the Omega Zone Sears aludes to the same. Personally I steer clear of large amounts of this tyoe of n-3.

As far as the amount of fruit you eat...how do you feel? So long as you are not getting "carb head" and your body fat is where you want it to be it is likely fine. The deal with onions and what not I think will be adressed below.

This is completely my own opinion...but I do not like the concept of mixed meals (protein carbs fat)
it does not model the randomized way huntergatherers ate and i do not think it optimally tweaks hormones. I tend to do protein/fat meals (with copious amounts of greens-antioxidants!)or protein/carb or carbs pretty much by themselves. The reasoning behind this can be found at www.testosterone.net and finding the articles by Jon Berardi titled "Massive Eating 1 & 2". it is excellent info and it is free. if you want to spend a little more $$ get Natural Hormonal Enhancement by Rob Faigan. This is for me easier than 5 blocks of protein, carbs and fat....and for me I know it works better. How much of that is due to ease of compliance vs actually having a more therapeutic effect...i have no idea.

BTW-all of these sources are going to have slightly contraditory info...just tinker and see how you feel and what makes sense.
Robb