CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-23-2009, 09:40 AM   #11
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Pushup Technique for the Wrists / Hands

Computer and mouse work will kill your wrists.

I use a set of traditional aikido wrist exercises. They're intended to build both flexibility and strength so that the wrist can tolerate aikido's wrist locks. Animated GIFs at http://www.aikido-world.com/highligh...wrist-list.htm (WFS)

I've gotten in the habit of doing them whenever I take a break, or as an alternative to doodling or other fidgeting.

Katherine
Old 06-23-2009, 10:12 AM   #12
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Y. B. Lindsay View Post
I think this is a very common issue and maybe has more to do with the way the wrist is built than anything...I do a desk job too, BTW. But there's just not much ROOM in the wrist to allow for the swelling that can happen with an increase in physical activity or following an acute trauma. I think wrist strength and flexibility is easy to lose and difficult to regain.
I don't think so.

From everything I've seen I would probably subscribe to the idea that the western lifestyle/diet/desk job/shoes/etc. are screwing us over more than "genetics/structure."

As kids we RARELY have problems even into our teens UNLESS we have an ACTUAL genetic impairment which is obviously <1% of the population for anything. We just get into really bad habits from everything and it screws us over.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:09 PM   #13
Matt Berardi

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Computer and mouse work will kill your wrists.

I use a set of traditional aikido wrist exercises. They're intended to build both flexibility and strength so that the wrist can tolerate aikido's wrist locks. Animated GIFs at http://www.aikido-world.com/highligh...wrist-list.htm (WFS)

I've gotten in the habit of doing them whenever I take a break, or as an alternative to doodling or other fidgeting.

Katherine
These are awesome, thank you. Wrists feel good after doing them, I bet I get a couple extra pushups just from doing these before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
I don't think so.

From everything I've seen I would probably subscribe to the idea that the western lifestyle/diet/desk job/shoes/etc. are screwing us over more than "genetics/structure."

As kids we RARELY have problems even into our teens UNLESS we have an ACTUAL genetic impairment which is obviously <1% of the population for anything. We just get into really bad habits from everything and it screws us over.
I have to agree... I think I've overused the tendons of my wrist and forearm - the ones used in typing, making them stiff and rigid to flex backwards. I don't remember ever having a problem in high school - although I was a competitive tennis player so perhaps this contributed as well.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:32 PM   #14
Rachel Y. B. Lindsay

Profile:

There's a trick you should know, too, for bearing weight on your flexed wrists. Place your palms on the ground flat and assume pushup position, and you'll feel the soreness. Now press your fingers into the floor and allow a little space to form under the palm of your hand. Your hand is bearing weight at the heel of the wrist and at the fingers now...just like your feet bear weight, with a bit of arch through the palm. Try that next time, and see if it feels more comfortable.

Oh-and while I'm a big fan of the martial arts wrist stretches, you'll notice they all stretch the extension movement instead of the flexion, which is what's giving you trouble.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:51 PM   #15
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Y. B. Lindsay View Post
Oh-and while I'm a big fan of the martial arts wrist stretches, you'll notice they all stretch the extension movement instead of the flexion, which is what's giving you trouble.
Done properly, the set I posted stretches both.

Katherine
Old 06-24-2009, 05:58 AM   #16
Matt Berardi

Profile:

Thanks for the help everyone, I stretched my wrists last night before my set of pushups. Definitely felt more confident in the movement... I could feel the difference in my wrists. They felt warmer and stronger somehow.

If there's one thing I've learned on this site it's NOT to perform isolation exercises, but it seems for the extremities (hands, wrists, forearms, feet, and calves) some isolation is needed for flexibility.

Thanks everyone!
Old 06-24-2009, 08:15 AM   #17
Mike Onghena

Profile:

[quote=Matt Berardi;613050
..If there's one thing I've learned on this site it's NOT to perform isolation exercises..

Thanks everyone![/QUOTE]
I believe that sentiment is directed toward exercises intended to build strength or improve performance.

I don't think it applies to exercises/stretching for the purposes of rehab to an injury or sore point.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:51 AM   #18
Matt Berardi

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Onghena View Post
I believe that sentiment is directed toward exercises intended to build strength or improve performance.

I don't think it applies to exercises/stretching for the purposes of rehab to an injury or sore point.
Yeah, I don't think deadlifts would be a good idea if you just injured your back!