CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-22-2009, 11:55 PM   #11
Jeff R Tucker

Profile:
Re: Pullup grip

got it... see you at the games.

tuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Jeff, I think somewhere in this thread you thought I was supporting the use of a gal's overgrip for the kipping PU. I did argue the use of this overgrip in another thread but probably because I just like saying I could use it.

The last post I made in this thread brought up the concern that many of the bars used in CF gyms are slick, sometimes also because they are painted.

On a side note, I was mucking around at CFMarin's open house yesterday doing the butterfly kip on the gals bar using an overgrip, not an opposed grip. I definitely didn't like it but I also haven't tried butterfly kipping PU in awhile ( in fact I noticed it was also harder to control than I'm used to in the overgrip ). Bare in mind that I don't have big hands which is why I prefer the men's bar as well ( I think they are 7 inches from palm to fingertrip ). This was in my WU period but the parkour class were passing under the HB after a box drill so I couldn't go there.

No matter where are team girls are doing pullups be it the men's or women's bar, I think they are using an opposed grip. Frequently, they'll kip their PU when the women's coaches aren't looking ( they prefer to have them perform it strict which is sort of ridiculous at the volume and lack of rest they ask them to do them in ). I'll spy on them tomorrow and see what grip they are using.

Lately, I have been using the UB for CTB PU, non kipping mainly because I can jump to it and not have to climb up like I do when I want to get to the HB. I can't remember which grip I've been using.