CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 08-27-2008, 08:25 AM   #1
Jason Sharpe

Profile:
DL Form Check

This is from the 1x5 DL WOD from the other day. I pulled 355 on set 5 and went back down to 325 for the last two. This video is the last set. Please tell me what you guys think. (WFS)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIjhgox0VRc
Old 08-27-2008, 08:40 AM   #2
Dave Hancock

Profile:
Re: DL Form Check

I would say you start with your hips too high. When you start the pull your back is almost perpendicular to the floor.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:27 PM   #3
Bryan Gates

Profile:

Agreed. Hips too high, shoulders too far forward.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:56 PM   #4
Jason Sharpe

Profile:

I thought so myself on both counts. It's amazing how it may "feel" right when it's not. I appreciate your input.

Lowering my hips should bring my shoulders back. I'll work on it and repost down the road for comparison.

I appreciate your time and critical eye.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:17 PM   #5
Robert Callahan

Profile:

I am going to have to go ahead an completely disagree with what has been said so far. No offense intended! That is one of the prettiest deadlifts I have seen in a while. Most people actually make the mistake of starting with their hips back to far which causes them to rise before the weight leaves the ground and causes rounding of the back.

I attached an image from the video right as you began to pull the weight but before it leaves the ground.

Correct Starting position should have your scapula's directly over the bar (meaning shoulders just in front), Bar over mid-foot (which we can't see but my best guess says it is ok), and your back nice and straight.

All three of these criteria are locked in and thus it is a beautiful deadlift! It appears that you have longer legs which will contribute to a more horizontal back angle, but for your anthropometry that is correct pulling position. I would not change a single thing!

Keep lifting Heavy!
-Robert
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pull.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	2361  

Last edited by Robert Callahan : 08-27-2008 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:15 AM   #6
Bryan Gates

Profile:

The bar appears too far back and behind the scaps. The bar should be about the posterior of the shoulder and here it looks like it is at least several inches behind it. However the bar doesnt drift forward so either he is really cranking on it with his lats or he is in the correct starting position and my eyes have failed me.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:37 AM   #7
Jason Sharpe

Profile:

I watched the vid several times before I posted it because I felt I was rather high in the hips and forward in the shoulders after watching myself for the first time (I've just never recorded myself), but I tried to frame by frame it to see the difference in my "set" and "start" position and noticed that as I started to pull my shoulders came back just slightly before the bar leaves the ground, but still looks out in front a little much on the pull...but, it stays there as it comes up and back down indicating to me that it must be in the correct position below the scapulas. Maybe it's the camera angle, though I tried to get a straight side view, because I'm know I'm not pulling that much back with my lats. I'm doing good to keep my back as straight as possible and my attention is there rather than the lats.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:26 AM   #8
Robert Callahan

Profile:

The camera is ever so slightly angled and I think this is why it looks like the bar is too far behind the shoulders. If you take that slight angle into account I think it looks pretty good. You can always do a couple different reps at a decently heavy weight and try changing your butt position slightly so you can see how your form changes with the slight changes. Then which ever one feels/looks better is the one to go with

-Robert