CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-26-2008, 01:25 AM   #1
Neil Holloway

Profile:
Zone question

hello CF members, I have been arguing with my mother about the amount of fat allowed in the athlete's zone. She was a weightwatcher, but she's also quite lazy. I was telling her that i was upping the fat blocks to 3x the normal amount (BTW, I'm around 127 lbs, 5'10", and around 3-4% body fat). My mom thinks that having that much fat is too unhealthy for me...if only she would read Taubes's article on the subject. I know I shouldn't be worried, since I cook my own meals. But are there other articles besides these that can explain this (all links wfs): http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/skinny.html
http://projectfit.org/iflifeblog/200...se-and-cancer/
http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/taubes.html

Also, are there any veggies that don't have to be in a huge amount to be worth a block of carbs?

Last edited by Neil Holloway : 07-26-2008 at 01:28 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:34 AM   #2
Christopher E Bloom

Profile:
Re: Zone question

Many of the high density stuff is on the unfavorable list. It depends how extreme or strict you are trying to be. By definition, you COULD have potato's but as a general rule you woulden't want to because of their high GI. Much of the benefit of eating the favorable stuff comes from the fact that it is not dense which is why I can steam an entire bag of veggies and count that as my carbs for a meal while most other folks would serve the same bag to a family and break it into four servings to keep a "balanced" meal. I love the fact that I can eat a huge quantity of things like broccoli for dinner. I love going to resturaunts and getting no starch and asking for 2x or 3x the veggies because they are so carb light.

Back on track, sorry. Most of the "good" veggies are not very dense and therefor will have to be eaten in tremendous volumes (compared to what you'd expect) to meet the ratio you are going for.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:00 PM   #3
Neil Holloway

Profile:
Re: Zone question

Eh, I figured, but I think 10 cups o' romaine lettuce is a little much for even my voracious appetite. But I guess I was mostly looking at the raw stuff before. Your explanation was very good though.