CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 10-31-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
Jeremy Punzalan

Profile:
Do I have Rhabdo? Or am I just panicking?

I did a workout today. 6 rounds, 50 ring rows, 100 single unders 1 minute rest after each round. After that, I felt really tired. I noticed that my right arm was really weak, and it just got a bit flabby. I pee isn't brown, I haven't vomited. Could this be rhabd?
Old 10-31-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
Ryan Bracewell

Profile:
Re: Do I have Rhabdo? Or am I just panicking?

if you are getting twitching of the muscle in your arm then you are probably dehydrated and should drink water and something with electrolytes.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:06 AM   #3
Richard Foote

Profile:

And this is why so many of us cringe when we read yet another article by some Crossfit nay-sayer about Rhabdo...

Jeremy, how long have you been Crossfitting...really, what is your current experience and fitness level, period?

You just completed a workout with 300 ring rows. That is a LOT of repetition for multiple muscle groups, in a movement pattern that is similar to the pullup (which is often cited as the source of Rhabdo in these negative articles). I would venture to say that 300 ring rows, or pullups, or any movement that taxes any smaller muscle group, would put a significant strain on even a seasoned Crossfit athlete. That's just a ton of volume, period.

Do you have the actual symptoms of Rhabdo? While the immediate answer may be "yes" due to the weakness, apparent swelling and fatigue, it's hard to say without seeing a doctor if the symptoms persist. It's quite possible you just overdid it and killed your biceps.

If you're new to the sport, then you have to be aware of how you feel throughout the WOD, and if something hurts or feels "off" then you need to have the willpower to stop. Live to fight another day, as it were. If you performed this WOD at a box, with at least a L1 coach, then this should have been preached from day one. If not, you need to seriously consider the quality of your location.

Hydrate, get some electrolytes, a balanced meal...and take it easy. See how you feel in the next 12, 24, 48 hours. If you see no improvement, get yourself checked out. I hope all is ultimately well...
Old 10-31-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
Joe Gomez

Profile:

The answer is in your urine, if you pee brownish color (coca-cola) you better your a$$ to the hospital ASAP!!!
Old 10-31-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
Frank Fusco

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Gomez View Post
The answer is in your urine, if you pee brownish color (coca-cola) you better your a$$ to the hospital ASAP!!!
This not always true. I had Rhabdo and my pee never changed color. The only symptom I had was incredible soreness in my thighs. I had been crossfitting for about 2 years. Had to stop for about 6 months. Started back up and did "Karen" in my 1st week back. Typical scenario, i.e., previously in shape and pushed self more than I should have. It was not some crazy hero workout, but it was enough. 4 days later, when it was still painful to walk up or down stairs, I went to the hospital. CK level of 40,000 and a night in the hospital connected to IV fluids.

I only say this because I see advice on here all the time that diminishes the likelihood of rhabdo or says you only have it if you are nauseated, have dark pee and other symptoms.

Drink lots of fluids and you most likely be fine. But if extreme soreness persists more than you think it should, I would go see a doctor even if you don't have all the tell tale signs.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
Jeremy Punzalan

Profile:

Hey guys, hmmm... It's been almost 12 hours, my pee is crystal clear. I'm able to move around well, but it just feels so much flabbier than the other arm. I'm rather new to crossfit, I'm just wondering if this could just be me overtraining my arm which is not used to this type of volume?
Old 10-31-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
Jeremy Punzalan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
This not always true. I had Rhabdo and my pee never changed color. The only symptom I had was incredible soreness in my thighs. I had been crossfitting for about 2 years. Had to stop for about 6 months. Started back up and did "Karen" in my 1st week back. Typical scenario, i.e., previously in shape and pushed self more than I should have. It was not some crazy hero workout, but it was enough. 4 days later, when it was still painful to walk up or down stairs, I went to the hospital. CK level of 40,000 and a night in the hospital connected to IV fluids.

I only say this because I see advice on here all the time that diminishes the likelihood of rhabdo or says you only have it if you are nauseated, have dark pee and other symptoms.

Drink lots of fluids and you most likely be fine. But if extreme soreness persists more than you think it should, I would go see a doctor even if you don't have all the tell tale signs.
It's not really.. Sore. It's flabby, heavy and slightly weak. I've been drinking a lot of water.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
Chris Mason

Profile:

How old are you? I am no doctor, and you SHOULD see your doctor, but it sounds to me like you may have injured your shoulder or arm.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:19 PM   #9
Jeremy Punzalan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
How old are you? I am no doctor, and you SHOULD see your doctor, but it sounds to me like you may have injured your shoulder or arm.
Hey, I am 16. Yes I will see my doctor tomorrow if it doesn't get any better. On my status, my arm feels much stronger than yesterday, but it seems flabby and puffy. I have no trouble with mobility, I can move it. My pee color is clear. I'm wondering, what are the other causes of puffy and flabby arms? (My gag reflex is working a lot, but that happens when i get scared, I really hope it's nothing serious.)
Old 10-31-2013, 06:12 PM   #10
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Punzalan View Post
Hey, I am 16. Yes I will see my doctor tomorrow if it doesn't get any better. On my status, my arm feels much stronger than yesterday, but it seems flabby and puffy. I have no trouble with mobility, I can move it. My pee color is clear. I'm wondering, what are the other causes of puffy and flabby arms? (My gag reflex is working a lot, but that happens when i get scared, I really hope it's nothing serious.)
Your description is lacking in clarity. Again, my guess is some kind of injury. In any event, see your doctor.