CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
Carrie Pavshak

Profile:
Needing to lose a lot of weight...

I recently saw a living social deal for our local crossfit location and purchased it. I am 5'5 and started at 260lbs. I started Paleo about 3 weeks ago and quickly dropped 21lbs as of today. My diet before consisted not so much of food but I drank enough soda and frozen coffee drinks that could quench the thirst of a small nation. I transferred my drinking to crystal light, which I know isn't exactly paleo but it is better than soda, etc. The crystal light is heavily diluted as I only put a pack into 1.5L of water. Other than that, I have converted to paleo and feel great. I have not yet started crossfit. I ordered the shoes and they should be arriving tomorrow. I am incredibly nervous and excited about starting the class. I am not sure what to expect in the intro class and from there on out. What is the intro class like? I tried to google it but I didn't get any clear results. I am also worried that people might be looking at me as if I shouldn't be there and should be atleast getting in half decent shape first. I was at a gym a few years ago and did extremely well with an amazing trainer but we got kicked out after a few months for my son's behavior. (I am a single mother of a child who has been diagnosed with high-functioning autism). I also tried another gym but my trainer felt more of a bond with his cell phone and making fun of previous clients. (I don't want to imagine what he said about me).

I am tired of looking the way I do and want to live a healthier life for me and my son. Everytime I start working out, I always plateau at 200lbs. Will crossfit help me beat this plateau? I have remained at 200lbs for atleast 3 months while working out. I often get severely frustrated. I realize the scale isn't the judgement call but how you feel and look inside and outside, but it is always in my head that 200 is the place where I am meant to be.

I have past athletic ability. I am and on and off smoker as well. I used to run 5 miles with ease atleast 10+ years ago (I know...it is a long time) and play soccer. So is it true that muscles have memory cells and can build up to doing things like that again? I really would love to start running again, would crossfit help me in doing so?

Thank you for your help
Old 07-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Needing to lose a lot of weight...

Intro classes vary from gym to gym so there's no way to know exactly they'll do with you...probably some combination of an assessment, technique instruction, then a (hopefully) short and not too painful workout that won't leave you unable to walk the next day. And the gym should be welcoming to anyone regardless of what kind of shape they're in. If your gym isn't, find a new one.

Ignore the 200lb number. For one thing, it's completely arbitrary. And for another, if you keep improving in the gym by lifting more weight, moving faster, and eating clean outside the gym, your weight will get to where it "should" be without thinking about it.

No, muscles don't have "memory cells." Muscles will get stronger or weaker in response to the stresses you apply to them. The only thing that might apply is if you have higher-than-normal genetic potential...i.e. you're a natural athlete relative to most other people.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
Jeff Enge

Profile:

It's good to see that you are interested in taking charge of your health. A few things:

1. Losing weight is more about diet than anything. CrossFit is specifically a strength and conditioning program, not a weight loss program, but anything that burns calories can result in weight loss if coupled with an appropriate diet.

2. From what I've seen, an intro class is usually a combination of teaching basic movements - squats, pushups, situps, pullups and the scaling thereof - and a short conditioning circuit consisting of those movements. Also I guarantee that you won't be the only person there nervous about not being in good enough shape. The thing with most CrossFit gyms is that the workouts are "infinitely scalable" to any ability level, so you can be challenged without it being over your head.

3. No, muscles don't have memory cells. However, the human brain is very good at adapting to its environment and remembers movement patterns very well. However, 10+ years is probably too long of a period to expect that you won't be starting back at square one.

4. I don't want to sound preachy, but if you really want to take control of your body, the "on and off smoker" really needs to become "nonsmoker." There are so many negatives without there being any positives.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
Leah Thompson

Profile:

Hi, I just wanted to chime in that I'm also a single mom with 3 special needs kids so I know how hard it is. Currently, my younger two come with me to the gym but my oldest (cerebral palsy, epilepsy, cognitive delays) can't come because of behavior. Now that he's in school, I go when he's in school. During the summer, I get a respite worker to come a few times a week so I can take the other two. I don't know if respite care is an option for you or not but it might be something to check out. For those times when I don't have anyone for him, I do little workouts here and there at home or take the kids running with me in the jogging stroller.

It's really great that you're doing something to make yourself healthier. You have to take care of yourself too. That will help you be there for your child for the long term. Yeah, and stop smoking if you can. That won't help you out. Take care.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Congratulations on your progress to date and getting signed up for Crossfit.

Don't worry about not fitting in there--most Crossfit boxes accept everyone with open arms regardless of their current fitness level or ability. You will get lots of encouragement. Respect will come from others based on your effort, not how fast you can run or how much weight you can lift. You are joining a very, very supportive community which can amplify your efforts to become more fit support you along the way.

Best of luck! We hope to hear stories of your progress.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:01 AM   #6
Tim Larsen

Profile:

Good job on the weight loss and the paleo lifestyle change! The best part about crossfit is the people, and the supportive community. I firmly believe that is why people have such awesome success with crossfit. I would recommend that you consider ditching the crystal light, that stuff is no good for you, and it will keep you craving sweets and carbs. Just drink water, it will halp change you. Of course the smoking has no place in your plan to get healthy. Check out this video for some more motivation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD5axAX9U78

Welcome, good luck, and keep us posted!
Old 07-25-2013, 04:03 AM   #7
Brian Neal Carpenter

Profile:

If your local CrossFit box is a good one, no one will judge you and the community support you'll find to be unbelievable.

I concur with everything everyone said about diet and smoking.

Keep in mind what Jeff said - CrossFit is not a weight loss program. It's for building strength, conditioning, and athleticism. If you combined the CrossFit work at your box with something like Insanity or T25 your results could be dramatic.

Consistency is the key to everything - keep your diet consistent and keep the workouts going and you'll see results.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:24 AM   #8
Marques Alexander

Profile:

I just started CrossFit this past Monday and the first week is what they call "Fundamentals Class" Each day we go over three to four techniques or moves that are used and just drill them over and over until we consistently get them done right. They do not expect you to remember everything in the fundamentals class, but it is to show you the movements so you when you do go inside the box, you are not completely lost with termanology and what to do. The fundamental class was usually me and another person along with the trainer. It was nice too because some of the advanced members would come out to show me stuff as well.

They did mention that your diet is more important than the workout because without a proper diet, the workout is meaningless basically.

Once you get to the gym you will be fine, I was nervous until people started coming up to me and talking to me and letting me know what to expect and giving me tips and advice.

So far I have gone three days and I love it! I wish I would joined sooner now!
Old 07-25-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
Adam Shreim

Profile:

I didn't read any of the replies above, so I am repeating something - I apologize in advance.

The into classes are going to be different in each gym, but the basics are always going to be laid out. They'll start with basic movements - like the squat. Go over YOUR squat form (hopefully) and help you to fix it and then start incorporating how you can perform the movement in various ways (for example the air squat, front squat, back squat, wall ball shots, medicine ball cleans, there are several more - but you get the idea). After you learn a small number of movements they will probably put you through the paces of a light Metabolic Conditioning workout (called MetCons, often mistakingly called "WODs." There is no such thing as a "WODs" because WOD stands for Workout of the Day... but I am ranting) using the same movements you learned.

After that you are probably going to be a little sore and a little tired. But keep going back to every intro class. You may want to sleep a little more to feel refreshed and recovered. And if you're "too sore," don't stress out, because once you warm your body back up the soreness will start to fade (just have blind faith in this statement, if you can't believe it before you try it).

Nobody is going to look at anyone in a CrossFit gym and think "they don't belong here." Even gyms that don't have a lot of member interaction. If you go and stick with it, you will develop results in the manner in which you channel your efforts.

Remember that nutrition is #1 and recovery is #2. The exercise program is #3, but that is what is going to drive your results. So give it everything you've got, every day. Work towards goals in your performance and not in your image/bodyweight/bodyfat. Take those workouts you had to do in your intro and strive to beat those times. Work on getting that first un-assisted pull-up. Try to run 400M in "X" amount of time. As you achieve those goals, your body will start to look like somebody who can achieve those goals (I hope this makes sense).
Old 07-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #10
Cody Lichtenwalner

Profile:

Although I don't know much about how the boxes work I felt I needed to chime in to share my weight loss success. In the last 10 months I saw the number on the scale drop by 60. I tried it all, diets, p90x, supplements, fasting, running, shakes etc. Yea I lost weight but it didn't really stick until I stopped making it a diet and started to make it a lifestyle change. That's the only way you will overcome your old habits. Second to that you are gonna hit walls and plateaus, but crossfit is what helped me past each one. Ill pass on a word of advice a local FEMALE crossfitter who had problems with weight once passed on to me: worry about the weight on your bar and the weight on the scale will take care of itself. Now the bf % keeps dropping and my prs keep raising.

Keep at it, don't stop, its just you against you. Don't let the overweight you, win. Im pulling for you.