CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-28-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
Daniel Bailey

Profile:
Muscle Ups

Just did my Level 1 course over the weekend (was so amazing!) and when we got to Muscle Ups the trainers were saying that kipping Muscle Ups should not be attempted until you can do them strict.

This sucks as I got my first kipping muscle ups last week and am so keen to just jump on the ring and keep practising them, but should I instead just be focussing on strict progressions?
Old 10-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
Joey Shishineh

Profile:
Re: Muscle Ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Bailey View Post
Just did my Level 1 course over the weekend (was so amazing!) and when we got to Muscle Ups the trainers were saying that kipping Muscle Ups should not be attempted until you can do them strict.

This sucks as I got my first kipping muscle ups last week and am so keen to just jump on the ring and keep practising them, but should I instead just be focussing on strict progressions?
completely disagree. If you are thinking of competing or doing them in WODs, it will always be faster to do kipping. Plus, it may be a long time until you have a strict one.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

You'll be a lot better off in the long run if you develop the strength and skill to do them strict. I've seen plenty of people neglect those two things because they just want to keep doing lots of kipping MUs, and it tends to be only a matter of time until they turn a shoulder or elbow inside out by whiffing on a wildly kipped MU.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Getting a strict Muscle-Up for a male isn't terribly difficult.

It's more about than just competing. It's the learning process, especially imparting the technical details to a NOOB. Mainly the transition is what needs to be addressed.

There is a slight danger to doing kipping Muscle-Ups before strict MU. Mainly if you miss the MU (and are able to generate a lot of momentum as an assist into the MU). This could end you up in a dicey position when you fail above the rings and if your arm is at a weird position. It can be a bit hard on the shoulder or elbow in that case.

For right now, strive towards a goal of doing one strict. Don't expect to do it or use them during a WOD, especially when fatigued but it's a destination.

I am wondering if this is coming from the current often proposed rule of strict pullups before kipping pullups. It's not really the same thing though.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
Neil Kanterman

Profile:

Dan Bailey? Just got your first kipping muscle ups?!??!!
Old 10-29-2012, 06:07 AM   #6
Danny Bostwick

Profile:

I'm the poster-boy for why you should learn them strict first.

I got my first one with a Kip, one of the trainers told me I need to learn them strict, I ignored, did them at home just swinging my lights out.

One day, I thought I was a badass and did the chipper from the games WOD, got to the burpee-muscle ups, and completely torqued my shoulder after catching one too-low because I didn't have the strength to do them right once slightly fatigued. Was out for 4 for weeksish.

Do yourself a favor find some gymnastics videos on youtube, or someone who has been to that cert & spend sometime learning them strict. It'll pay off in the end.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:19 AM   #7
John C Corona

Profile:

Blair is right, it doesnt take THAT long, if you practice the transition often (everyday or even every other day). It took me a lil over 3 weeks of transition practice to get my first strict. Then, like a week later, I was getting 3 or 4 strict.

It does put a ton of strain on the elbow. At least the elbow was "my" weak link, and I did have a couple of wierd pains which caused me to rest a day or two. I was trying to rush it, and thats probably why I tweeked it. Be patient and consistent.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #8
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Great point on the elbows John.

Joint Preparation is huge and widely ignored in gymnastics when it comes to Crossfitters.

Preparing the elbow is easy. Do lots of Ring support, you want to prepare the biceps tendon so do some RTO support work as well.

Then to greatly strengthen the elbow do ring flys (push-up variations) and statics. Just don't overdo it of course.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:02 AM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Yep, back when I was first learning MU I remember it would be irritable if I failed during a MU attempt. Especially after having made x amount of reps. Wouldn't be a problem until I failed one and you could feel the torque on the elbow.

During a strict MU, that elbow gets into a pretty weird position at times, especially if you end up going wider. Especially if you go wide and fail. Oww.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #10
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

Good thread. I am going to work on some strict tonight. I have them "swinging/kipping" but my form is lacking and by no means can I string more than a couple together.

My dips are solid as are my pull ups. Strict PU's with up to 80 pounds 1RM, chest to bar no issues, deep dips for reps no issue, etc...my sense is I should be able to get them strict but I definitely have a mental block about it!

Will report back!