CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-06-2008, 08:04 PM   #1
Jared Ashley

Profile:
Evil twist on "Deck of Cards"

Did this one today in 35:46. Brutal! Would be a lot of fun to do in a globogym to get stared at.

Spades = Pullups
Hearts = Clapping Pushups
Clubs = Knees to Elbows
Diamonds = 65 lb Thrusters
Joker = 250 jump rope

Used 1 Joker. Ace counts as 1 rep, face cards as 10.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:06 AM   #2
Skylar Cook

Profile:
Re: Evil twist on "Deck of Cards"

Please tell me "jump rope" = single unders.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:53 AM   #3
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylar Cook View Post
Please tell me "jump rope" = single unders.
yes... if you can do double-unders cool, but I'd make it 50 or something... I don't yet have the mad skills for them.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:44 AM   #4
Bill Russell

Profile:

I like your combination. We normally make jokers = 12 burpees and aces are 11. Doing 12 burpees twice during the 'doc' really ups the suck factor.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:48 AM   #5
Chris Walls

Profile:

We did this once with pullups, pushups, box jumps and kb swings (1.5 pood). face cards are 10, aces 11, 2 jokers @ 20 burpees each.

(as a twist on doing pullups, pushups, situps, squats...)

Last edited by Chris Walls : 11-07-2008 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:37 PM   #6
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
Spades = Pullups
Hearts = Clapping Pushups
Clubs = Knees to Elbows
Diamonds = 65 lb Thrusters
Joker = 250 jump rope

Used 1 Joker. Ace counts as 1 rep, face cards as 10.
Hi Jared,

I entered your exercises and their probabilities into my spreadsheet to make it more computerized. That way if you want to add more than 4 exercises or tweak their probabilities however you want, you can.

My spreadsheet randomly selects those exercises with replacement (so it is like if after you select, you put the card back in the deck and shuffle the deck each time) using those probabilities. So I made the probability for Joker be very small. Also note that I have the mathematical weight for 10 rep exercises as a 4, since any of {10, J, Q, K} = 10.

Someone could read off the list while you do the exercises. Feel free to edit as needed however you like and play around with it.

Cheers,

Justin
Attached Files
File Type: email cards.xls (59.5 KB, 377 views)
Old 11-08-2008, 11:53 AM   #7
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Z. Smith View Post
Hi Jared,

I entered your exercises and their probabilities into my spreadsheet to make it more computerized. That way if you want to add more than 4 exercises or tweak their probabilities however you want, you can.

My spreadsheet randomly selects those exercises with replacement (so it is like if after you select, you put the card back in the deck and shuffle the deck each time) using those probabilities. So I made the probability for Joker be very small. Also note that I have the mathematical weight for 10 rep exercises as a 4, since any of {10, J, Q, K} = 10.

Someone could read off the list while you do the exercises. Feel free to edit as needed however you like and play around with it.

Cheers,

Justin
Justin,

Cool spreadsheet, in a geeky kind of way... I mean that in the nicest way possible of course.

I understand how your spreadsheet works, and I'm curious if there's a simple way to modify it to behave like a real deck of cards, so that unique cards do not repeat. I know enough VB for Excel code that I could (and in fact have in the past) create a virtual deck, but I also know that the code I would use would be time consuming to write and significantly lacking in elegance.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:31 AM   #8
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
Justin,

Cool spreadsheet, in a geeky kind of way... I mean that in the nicest way possible of course.

I understand how your spreadsheet works, and I'm curious if there's a simple way to modify it to behave like a real deck of cards, so that unique cards do not repeat. I know enough VB for Excel code that I could (and in fact have in the past) create a virtual deck, but I also know that the code I would use would be time consuming to write and significantly lacking in elegance.
Hi Jared,

I think it does behave like a real deck of cards, a real shuffled deck of cards. I'm not sure off the top of my head how to do sampling without replacement (in Excel) though. I wrote a program to do it for my TI-92+ calculator, which is hardly useful except to show to myself that I can do it, lol.

I like the idea of making the exercises as random as possible. Sampling without replacement gives you more information on what exercises will be drawn next and takes away from the randomness as there are less cards in the deck. For example, if all the Burpee cards have been drawn, you know you will have no Burpees in the workout from that point on.

But I do see how sampling without replacement could be useful/wanted at times, I just don't know how to do that in Excel.

Justin
Old 11-09-2008, 01:18 PM   #9
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:

Hi again Jared,

I just was working out, and the really simple solution (my favorite type) just came to me.

Type your exercises in one column, then fill in a list of uniform random numbers in the other column. Then sort your exercise column by the list of random numbers. This will randomly order your exercises, doing sampling without replacement.

I've attached a spreadsheet. I kept the original list of your exercises in the OriginalList tab.

Justin
Attached Files
File Type: email jared2.xls (48.0 KB, 407 views)
Old 11-11-2008, 01:36 PM   #10
Jared Ashley

Profile:

cool, I like it... much simpler than how I would have done it.

thanks!