CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-24-2006, 03:30 PM   #1
Neal Winkler

Profile:
I told my parents that they better get on paleo and exercise before the bird flu hits so their immune systems will be strong to fight it off, but then they told me that the bird flu is the opposite, it's hits people with the strongest immune systems, 18-44 year olds. The "regular" flu is the opposite, it hits the young and the old the worst, those with the weakest immune systems.

Is this true?
Old 05-24-2006, 04:00 PM   #2
Gareth Healy

Profile:

Dont know if thats true, but i was under the impression you couldnt catch bird flu from the actually meat.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:09 PM   #3
Adam Noble

Profile:
I hadn't heard that, but as of now you have to work in direct contact with infected birds in pretty unsanitary conditions to contract it. The virus isn't transmitted person to person yet. If and when that particular viral mutation occurs, thats when it hits the fan.
Or so I understand it.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:17 PM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Neal,
http://www.fluwikie.com/pmwiki.php?n...rCytokineStorm

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/content/influenza/avianflu/news/nov1605cytokine .html

The "cytokine storm" idea is what they are indirectly referring to. The unhealthy people better hope that theory is incorrect--if it isn't, who will take care of their weak, unfit, soon-to-be-uncared-for selves?

And to think people call walking "exercise"...
Old 05-25-2006, 12:28 PM   #5
Chris Jodlowski

Profile:
The bird flu hits people in third world countries who share quarters with their animals, don't bathe regularly and have never even heard the word "immunization." The fact that they probably eat more paleo than just about anyone on this board is irrelevant.

I have no idea what the actual number is at this point, but I'm pretty sure well under 1000 people have died world wide of this. By contrast, 40,000 people in the US die in car accidents each year. Nearly 1,000,000 people in the US die of heart disease each year. About 500,000 million die of cancer in the US each year.

There is, in general, an inverse correlation between actual danger and perceived danger. By percentage, the worse case scenarios put about 1/50th of one percent of the world's population in the way of bird flu.

If you want your parents to eat right and exercise, that's fantastic. If the "wrong" reasons motivate them to it, then I guess, by all means. But let's try to be realistic about it if we can.

Sorry .. it was get this off my chest or blow a gasket out in public somewhere.

<end of rant>