CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-27-2006, 12:31 PM   #1
David Mcevoy

Profile:
Hi,

I am looking for some help - conventional wisdom says that in training for, and during a marathon a high carb diet is required; is this correct or is the zone a viable alternative? I have been following the zone during my CrossFit training, but have felt tired at the end of my long runs and so I have increased my carb intake, but I still feel sluggish, tired and bloated - what are zone alternatives for pre, during and post workout meals/snacks? Many thanks in advence,

Dave.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:56 PM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
David, start upping the fat...like 5-7 times...you want to be a fat burning machine, hopefully Robb will chime in.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:54 PM   #3
Rene Renteria

Profile:
Take a look at the "Knowledge" section of Gym Jones. There are some good articles from Mark Twight about endurance nutrition.

http://www.gymjones.com/knowledge.php?id=17
"Endurance efforts are largely fueled by fat oxidation....
For efforts at greater than 70% of MVO2 the primary source of fuel is carbohydrates. Many CrossFit workouts force the athlete to operate at 100% of MVO2, and even higher during interval sessions. The body naturally chooses the fuel source most appropriate to the level of effort demanded by the brain with no regard for how long the supply will last. If the effort is hard enough that carbs are fuel of choice the gas is going to last for roughly two hours. Once you have gone through the readily available carbohydrates (stored glycogen, blood glucose) the body automatically switches to alternative sources of energy production, all of which yield less energy than carbohydrate conversion. So it’s up to your brain to manage the fuel inventory. I believe how your body chooses its fuels may be manipulated not only through daily diet but also by matching that diet with particular types of exercise...."

Eugene Allen has also posted some info on nutrition for triathlon training (especially what he uses during races) in a recent thread that you could search for.

Good luck!
Rene'
Old 02-27-2006, 04:21 PM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:
David,
Look at the sources of your carb intake. Grains don't digest well, search the forum for "gluten" and "celiac" for more info. If you're doing dairy, that will bloat many people as well.

Fruits (fresh and dried) may be the healthiest way to up your non-competition-day CHO intake without taking up too much GI space (ie. veggies). Frozen fruits (pineapple, cherries, blueberries, banana) in a post-workout Zone shake are awesome.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:40 PM   #5
Jesse Woody

Profile:
This is one time I would definitely recommend the Paleo Diet for Athletes, as this is the main topic the entire book is based on.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:01 PM   #6
William Hunter

Profile:
Although, just for kicks, you may want to check out what Stu Mittleman has to say on the matter. This guys's one of the ultimate superfreaks of the endurance world. Competes in 7-day long races and that kind of thing.

He actually ran across the US to raise money for charity. It took him almost two months, and he averaged 2 MARATHONS A DAY for 56 days straight. Absolutely freaking crazy!

Anyway, he's actually a "lower carb advocate", training the body to be a fat burner instead. He wrote a book called Slow Burn that I read during my pre-enlightened days.

Might be worth a look.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:41 AM   #7
Peter Queen

Profile:
Run Forest, run!!!
Old 02-28-2006, 12:04 PM   #8
Motion Macivor

Profile:
Dave,
Read rene's advice when I was racing I would hold about 80-85% of my MVO2 HR for 2-3 hrs. with out a HR monitor you can approximate this by by finding your "ventilary threshhold" (the point at which you start to breathe twice as hard) at this level of execise you will be burning mainly carbs. If you take some power gells with you (one for every 20 minutes) this should do fine. If you plan on racing at a lower pace you might look in to taking some fats in (nuts and peanut butter or something).
I think you should keep training with the zone though. Over the long term you should see the best results with this diet.
Coffee will really help you too I've heard that it allows you to metaboize fats at a higher level of exercise it will also increase your endurance.