CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-12-2006, 11:44 AM   #1
Seral Mehmet

Profile:

what are your views on the different ways of eating out there:

The Zone
Gillian mckeith - you are what you eat (food combining?)
Optimum nutrition bible
living health

they all seem to give valid points

I read on http://www.drsears.com/zonefaqs.page that its a fat loss program. I dont need to loose fat tho

Comparions of these for general health and physical/mental energy
Old 02-12-2006, 12:21 PM   #2
Paul Symes

Profile:
The thing I've noticed since starting the zone is that I feel very healthy and sleep better. This site is full of people who swear by it too.

I was in the book shop the other day killing time and a had a quick read through Gillian McKieth's book. I think I counted the total protein intake for an entire week to be about 100gs unless I misunderstood something.

She has some strange ideas about food combining too; like you shouldn't eat carbs and protein together and you should always eat fruit on its own.

Also this is worth reading: http://www.jmdl.com/howard/rants/Gillian_McKeith.html

I just think she has a bit of a poo fetish to be frank.

(Message edited by symzie on February 12, 2006)
Old 02-12-2006, 12:56 PM   #3
Paul Findley

Profile:
We here have been toying with the "eyeball" zone for a week now. I like it. What it has done for us is, increased Veggies/Fruits, got me away from my "2 Squares" a day, and we now slowly eating up our stockpile of pasta/rice. I find it curious how everyone I try to discuss it with (not here) thinks it is a Fad weight-loss diet. Maybe this is how it has been applied more broadly, I am not sure. Could be there could have been a better less catchy name than "ZONE DIET", maybe something more scientific.

(Message edited by paul on February 12, 2006)
Old 02-12-2006, 01:28 PM   #4
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Paul, I find it amusing how everything is called a fad diet, even those that offer sound nutritional advice. 90% of people woud be better off doing one of these fad diets like South Beach(Note I think The Zone is the best).
Old 02-12-2006, 01:55 PM   #5
Bill Betts

Profile:

I consider the Zone to be "performance enhancing food consumption". I am 50 and have always been an active athlete. I believe that I would not be able to sustain the Crossfit workouts without the aid of the Zone. If there are better programs than the Zone out there I haven't come accross them.

Wrk the Zone hard and it will work hard for you.

Bill

Old 02-12-2006, 08:20 PM   #6
Nikki Young

Profile:
Most 'diets' we know of promote fat/weight loss, because thats what the majority of people looking at diets are after. I'm presuming most CF people here probably wouldn't have chosen to eat Zone style without hearing about other CF'trs getting awesome results from it. This is because unless you purchase 'Mastering the Zone' or any other Zone books, it doesn't really go into the changes that need to be made for the athletic person.

I don't know much about the other diets you mentioned. Most diets work though, for weight loss, if you stick to it. But thats the problem with most 'diets' is that people don't stick to them cause they are so restricting from what people are used to eating.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:21 PM   #7
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Personally, I wouldn't subscribe to any one diet. I think the best diet out there is the "Seral Diet." In other words, find what works best for you. Read as much as you can on the subject and experiment. Trial-and-error is sometimes our best teacher. I'd suggest taking your favorite ingredient from each diet and mixing it all together to create your own homebrew.

An example diet, would include Atkins' inspired meals (no carbs), food selections from the South Beach Diet, pre and post nutrition recommendations from Paleo for Athletes, macronutrient separation from Berardi, and so on.

With so many varying nutritional concepts out there it can become quite overwhelming. Just try to learn as much as you can from each school of thought and give it a try for a month or two. see what it is about.

May take time finding out what it is that works best for you, but you can rest assure that once you do, it will be the best diet out there on the face of the planet.

Best of luck on your nutritional endeavors.

(Message edited by Steve_Liberati on February 12, 2006)

(Message edited by Steve_Liberati on February 12, 2006)
Old 02-13-2006, 08:55 AM   #8
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Paul, the Zone is also called a low carb diet, even though most of the calories are still derived from carbs. Anything that takes money away from the grain industry, which seems to run our government, will be branded a "fad" diet. If it ain't endorsed by the USDA, it's a fad. I think one thing that hurt the Zone in terms of branding was being out during the Atkins craze. Nothing against Dr. Atkins. I find his diet to be pretty good and as Robb Wolf says "He fought the good fight." Unfortunately, the food manufacturers jumped all over it and with so many low carb products, anything affiliated will be looked down upon.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:20 AM   #9
Seral Mehmet

Profile:

Paul just curious, what were your eating habits like before the zone?

Steve your right. I gotta find what works best for myself.

thanks all
Old 02-14-2006, 06:22 AM   #10
Seral Mehmet

Profile:

1 more thing. Would anyone know if there is a total food block guide to the zone.

I have zone meals in seconds and it doesn't have a list of every food. Things like seeds, exotic sea vegetables...