CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:50 AM   #31
Ewen Roth

Profile:
Re: Drop-In Etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewen Roth
Sure, to the extent that affiliates are attention pimps and clients are attention harlots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post

There is some truth to this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Yan View Post
This is only true 100% of the time with only 100% of all affiliates and 100% of CFers.
I'm not sure my tone got across the way I wanted. I was actually questioning this statement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
pictures (especially posted pics somewhere on the interwebz) build client-affiliate loyalty..
Jeff, I know you and you know me. We've been to the same boxes. How many members have stayed on board because X pictures were taken of them? How many have left because X wasn't enough? Can we agree on 0? How has your own loyalty to your affiliate(s) been affected by internet pics and videos?

You would think that a gym builds member loyalty through individual results and good training. Just because attention whoring is a sign of our times doesn't mean CF affiliates have to follow suit.

It seems I'm all about cross-referencing threads these days, so as John D. Burch might say: Do you REALLY believe that a CF box can't be successful if it doesn't "plaster the web" (official CF FAQ) with pictures and videos of its members?

If so, you've lost already.

(Obviously I'm 100% wrong about this, since a certain primate (Worthless Goofy Dope as he's known on this board) is now a pillar of the CF community.)
/threadhijack
Old 09-16-2010, 05:34 AM   #32
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
OP said pictures, not video.

I still think video on bodyweight circuits for analysis is just plain silly. If someone isn't going deep enough, then the couch should tell them. You don't need a video to master BW movements.
Even if it had been video, who cares? None of us has any idea why the video was being taken. Could be for promotional reasons, because the athlete asked for video, because they were having some sort of special event, etc.... It's the owners right to do as he wishes.

- Mark
Old 09-16-2010, 10:55 AM   #33
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewen Roth View Post
Sure, to the extent that affiliates are attention pimps and clients are attention harlots.
If you think marketing is pimping...then you understand the "oldest profession" brilliantly...this is not a derrogatory comparison IMO. Tell 'em that it's human nature, Michael Jackson style...

Pics for chekcing form, decent... videos, better.

Last edited by Aushion Chatman; 09-16-2010 at 11:12 AM..
Old 09-16-2010, 11:10 AM   #34
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Who said anything about an affiliate's success being based on pictures?? Nor did I say the best way to build loyalty was by putting a picture of someone on your website?

A lot of CF websites are blogs...blogs about their community, generally if it is your blog you are going to use your pictures. A picture is advertising no matter what your intent is once you place it in a public domain.

Ewen, I'm not even sure what you're disagreeing with? I guess you don't see how a picture can help build community? It doesn't guarantee loyalty, of course not, but I've seen a great pic generate buzz. I've seen pics that affiliate members routinely talk about and ask to have reposted. That seems like building community, which is building loyalty IMO.

I concur though, if you suck you suck, and no matter how great your pics are, people will leave.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:32 PM   #35
Timothy Gilday

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken DaSilva View Post
Couldn't agree with this more, couldn't disagree with the OP more.

I too travel for work and I've been to a dozen affiliates throughout North America. The procedure is always the same:

1) Check out the websites of all area boxes
2) Pick one that appeals to me
3) Map it out from my hotel and work site. Program the address it into my GPS.
4) Send an email asking what their drop-in fee is, what class times I'd be most likely to attend (asking if, not assuming, they have the space for me), and give them my CF background (good and bad numbers) including a link to beyondthewhiteboard. I'd rather give them too much information that too little. I acknowledge that I am basically asking them to evaluate me sight unseen.
5) Get there EARLY
6) Get my WOD on
7) Buy a t-shirt

Results: I've never had a bad experience. Many places that charge for drop-ins, choose not to take my money (even after repeat visits). I've been to places that run a full-on open gym, some that are really informal and "get around to starting class", and others that are run-to-the minute, and the above works in all cases.

Oh and by-the-by, if you find yourself at my home affiliate, don't show up late, you will be turned away.

It's all in how we perceive late. Late to me is disrespectful, at worst. At best, it shows poor planning (not mapping things out ahead of time, not leaving EARLIER than you need to). Again, this is my perception (and that of many others), not an attack on the OP or anyone else.

What you should have done was say "Cool, I understand." Is it OK if I stay watch this class while I wait for the next class? I'll in the corner doing mobility, warming up, etc.
Spot on. Great checklist of "how to".
Old 09-16-2010, 11:59 PM   #36
Jason Donaldson

Profile:

Turn up late to our box and I'd tell you to come back later too. Expect that from our members, a drop-in would be no different.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:44 PM   #37
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewen Roth View Post
I take pics to be an attention harlot and videos to improve my form:
http://thegorillapit.wordpress.com/2...-tamara-cohen/ (Eh, some of the language is not so WFS but no f-bombs)