CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:52 AM   #21
Jay Adams

Profile:
Re: Drop-In Etiquette

Showing up at 3:00 for a 3:00 WOD is late (IF you're not early you're late!). 3:05 is TOO late IMHO. If I am going to visit I always drop an e-mail and introduce myself, and ASK when would be the best time for me to work out. Your experience means nothing to a trainer if they don't know you. The movements are constant, but almost everything else varies from where the runs are, to where the bathroom is. I have seen people that have worked out in another affiliate for a long time who flat out suck. Bummer you had a bad experience, but calling a trainer out who was doing her job and following the rules is kind of a punk move IMHO. Taking care of your day to day (bread and butter) clients should always take priority over a drop in. Many affiliates that I have talked to allow very little drop ins, and all with prior arrangements and meeting up front to get squared away

Last edited by Jay Adams; 09-15-2010 at 07:55 AM..
Old 09-15-2010, 08:07 AM   #22
Wil Vicinus

Profile:

We've hosted dozens of visitors at our box over the years and usually haven't had any problems. But in our experience we've learned that showing up late is definitely not a good thing - Any affiliate owner/trainer worth their salt is going to want to take a few minutes before the class to have you read and sign the waiver, make sure you're able to safely perform the movements, make sure you know where the equipment you'll need is, give you a chance to ask any questions, etc. Once the class is started the trainer needs to focus on the class and people showing up late is a distraction from that.

If you're not familiar with the area make sure you allow yourself time to get lost so you can still show up early. Calling or emailing in advance is not only common courtesy, it also gives the affiliate an opportunity to give you directions.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:16 AM   #23
S.S.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Stevens View Post
It should be primarily a training tool. Being able to see your form during movements on a regular basis is a good thing.

What is the value of being able to see a photograph of yourself doing exclusively bodyweight movements in a WOD? the workout described was Barbara - pullups, pushups, situps, and squats, none of which need photographic analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewen Roth View Post
Sure, to the extent that affiliates are attention pimps and clients are attention harlots.
There is some truth to this.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:13 AM   #24
Joshua Murphy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Massey View Post
This is the advice that a friend of mine gave elsewhere. He travels often and has visited more affiliates than anyone I know who isn't part of a Cert team.

I'm sorry, but I would completely agree with the Affiliate owner who refused a late drop in. His gym, his rules and as a visitor I would of course abide by them.
Good advice here. Common courtesy. No email in advance, and showing up late is not.

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)
Old 09-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #25
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Green View Post
I agree, but like the OP said, inevitably someone will get lost and show up late. I think instructors should be happy to host people visiting from out of town - good exposure for their box and gives that person a home away from home!
Honestly?
I'm concerned with making sure guests have a good experience, but my priority is making sure my athletes are taken care of and get my 100%. It's not right for a guest to come in late for my customers' workout and expect that I can or will pull myself away from their training to get them (the guest) taken care of.
Wanna work out with us? We're glad to have you, but email first and get here early so we can talk before the WOD.

Last edited by Jamie Gowens; 09-15-2010 at 10:27 AM..
Old 09-15-2010, 07:00 PM   #26
Ken DaSilva

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Massey View Post
This is the advice that a friend of mine gave elsewhere. He travels often and has visited more affiliates than anyone I know who isn't part of a Cert team.

I'm sorry, but I would completely agree with the Affiliate owner who refused a late drop in. His gym, his rules and as a visitor I would of course abide by them.
Couldn't agree with this more, couldn't disagree with the OP more.

I too travel for work and I've been to a dozen affiliates throughout North America. The procedure is always the same:

1) Check out the websites of all area boxes
2) Pick one that appeals to me
3) Map it out from my hotel and work site. Program the address it into my GPS.
4) Send an email asking what their drop-in fee is, what class times I'd be most likely to attend (asking if, not assuming, they have the space for me), and give them my CF background (good and bad numbers) including a link to beyondthewhiteboard. I'd rather give them too much information that too little. I acknowledge that I am basically asking them to evaluate me sight unseen.
5) Get there EARLY
6) Get my WOD on
7) Buy a t-shirt

Results: I've never had a bad experience. Many places that charge for drop-ins, choose not to take my money (even after repeat visits). I've been to places that run a full-on open gym, some that are really informal and "get around to starting class", and others that are run-to-the minute, and the above works in all cases.

Oh and by-the-by, if you find yourself at my home affiliate, don't show up late, you will be turned away.

It's all in how we perceive late. Late to me is disrespectful, at worst. At best, it shows poor planning (not mapping things out ahead of time, not leaving EARLIER than you need to). Again, this is my perception (and that of many others), not an attack on the OP or anyone else.

What you should have done was say "Cool, I understand." Is it OK if I stay watch this class while I wait for the next class? I'll in the corner doing mobility, warming up, etc.

Last edited by Ken DaSilva; 09-15-2010 at 07:04 PM..
Old 09-15-2010, 08:10 PM   #27
Jeff Yan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewen Roth View Post
Sure, to the extent that affiliates are attention pimps and clients are attention harlots.
This is only true 100% of the time with only 100% of all affiliates and 100% of CFers.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:41 PM   #28
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
What is the value of being able to see a photograph of yourself doing exclusively bodyweight movements in a WOD? the workout described was Barbara - pullups, pushups, situps, and squats, none of which need photographic analysis.
The coach at my affiliate has plenty of helpful tips on pull ups and squats. Pushup ROM can be an issue for some people. Believe it or not, it's even possible to do sit-ups incorrectly. Why wouldn't a visual be helpful for these?

Many competitions have video qualifiers, too.

And who cares, anyway? It's his box, which means he gets to shoot publicity video if he wants, too.

Katherine
Old 09-15-2010, 09:25 PM   #29
S.S.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
The coach at my affiliate has plenty of helpful tips on pull ups and squats. Pushup ROM can be an issue for some people. Believe it or not, it's even possible to do sit-ups incorrectly. Why wouldn't a visual be helpful for these?

Many competitions have video qualifiers, too.

And who cares, anyway? It's his box, which means he gets to shoot publicity video if he wants, too.

Katherine
OP said pictures, not video.

I still think video on bodyweight circuits for analysis is just plain silly. If someone isn't going deep enough, then the couch should tell them. You don't need a video to master BW movements.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:37 PM   #30
Michael Pilhofer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Hyzak View Post
Drop-In Etiquette:

1) Be early, if your on time your late and if your early your on time.
2) Check their website out get a feel for what the box offers.
3) Call or e-mail to talk to the coaches before you show up for a WOD.
4) Make a appointment and keep it.
5) Let the coaches do their job don't tell them how great you are and how long you have been doing CrossFit. (unless they ask of course)
6) Bring a good attitude and have fun.
7) Buy a shirt for a souvenir (this is my favorite)

I think that about covers it.
Yup! Enough Said.
www.CrossFitMSP.com