CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:31 PM   #11
Scott Stevens

Profile:
Re: Drop-In Etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Peacock View Post
Because the trainer was "too busy" to include a visiting CF'er in that hour's workout. Where busy == taking pics of a very small CF class (2 ppl!).
Let's be clear - he was probably too busy to have a discussion, have someone sign a waiver, and train a class/take pictures of the athletes performing the movements.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:47 PM   #12
Craig Massey

Profile:

This is the advice that a friend of mine gave elsewhere. He travels often and has visited more affiliates than anyone I know who isn't part of a Cert team.

Quote:
I scout out affiliates in advance of my trip. I'll then drop an email to the address listed on the website telling them I'll be in town and asking if I can come to their X:00 class on X date. I give them a little background on myself-how long I've been at this and in my case that I have a Level 1 Cert. I also ask what time they want me there and what the fee will be. Don't worry if you don't have an affiliate that you work from regularly. I don't.

I've never had a box say 'no'-they have all been very welcoming. The fee ranges from $0-$20. For the folks that don't charge, I always try to buy a tshirt from them. Once I get there, I make it a point of introducing myself to everyone I see and thanking the trainer before and after class. I want to make sure they stay welcoming to visitors.
I'm sorry, but I would completely agree with the Affiliate owner who refused a late drop in. His gym, his rules and as a visitor I would of course abide by them.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:53 PM   #13
S.S.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Stevens View Post
Why is taking photos of the members mid-workout funny?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Peacock View Post
Because the trainer was "too busy" to include a visiting CF'er in that hour's workout. Where busy == taking pics of a very small CF class (2 ppl!).

That, and because I'm amused that CF'ers have a penchant for taking pictures of themselves at every opportunity.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:59 PM   #14
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

In general it is advertising, specifically pictures (especially posted pics somewhere on the interwebz) build client-affiliate loyalty..
Old 09-14-2010, 02:32 PM   #15
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Morgan View Post
Thought I would add a little to this...

Shortly after posting this thread I showed up (early) to the other CF box in Gainesville and was warmly greeted by the owner and her husband. A hellacious fury of chest-to-bar pullups, ring push-ups and 135# front squats ensued. Awesome.

Shortly after the Games this year I dropped by Crossfit Omaha and had another awesome experience. One of their trainers (his name escapes me) went over some finer points of my deadlift set-up and some mental cues for the lift... ended up boosting my 1RM by 15#. Afterward I tried to pay the drop-in fee but he wouldn't take it, insisting that he'd hit up my gym if he's ever in my area. Good sh*t.
Aside from being positive testimonial for two other boxes, I'm not sure how this adds to anything. Comparing how one owner behaved when you arrived late to how two other owners behaved when you arrived early is apples & oranges.

- Mark
Old 09-14-2010, 06:13 PM   #16
Scott Stevens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
In general it is advertising, specifically pictures (especially posted pics somewhere on the interwebz) build client-affiliate loyalty..
It should be primarily a training tool. Being able to see your form during movements on a regular basis is a good thing.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:42 PM   #17
Glenn Hyzak

Profile:

Drop-In Etiquette:

1) Be early, if your on time your late and if your early your on time.
2) Check their website out get a feel for what the box offers.
3) Call or e-mail to talk to the coaches before you show up for a WOD.
4) Make a appointment and keep it.
5) Let the coaches do their job don't tell them how great you are and how long you have been doing CrossFit. (unless they ask of course)
6) Bring a good attitude and have fun.
7) Buy a shirt for a souvenir (this is my favorite)

I think that about covers it.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:07 PM   #18
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Hyzak View Post
Drop-In Etiquette:

1) Be early, if your on time your late and if your early your on time.
2) Check their website out get a feel for what the box offers.
3) Call or e-mail to talk to the coaches before you show up for a WOD.
4) Make a appointment and keep it.
5) Let the coaches do their job don't tell them how great you are and how long you have been doing CrossFit. (unless they ask of course)
6) Bring a good attitude and have fun.
7) Buy a shirt for a souvenir (this is my favorite)

I think that about covers it.

I agree, but like the OP said, inevitably someone will get lost and show up late. I think instructors should be happy to host people visiting from out of town - good exposure for their box and gives that person a home away from home!
Old 09-15-2010, 12:38 AM   #19
Ewen Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post

Sure, to the extent that affiliates are attention pimps and clients are attention harlots.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:13 AM   #20
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

I've gone to a few other affiliates than my home one. Generally I e-mail them in advance and say "Would this be cool?" and I always ask "What is your drop-in fee?" because I don't want them to think that I'm some guy looking for a free workout. I have however been told by one owner that a lot of people from other boxes that drop-in like that expect to be able to workout for free.