CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
Danny Healy

Profile:
What makes Crossfit Crossfit?

I was having a chat with a Crossift affiliate owner the other day who runs an outdoor Crossfit affiliate. He mentioned that just as long as the exercise was functional, intense and constantly varied than his athletes were Crossfitting. I was in the park at the time and I looked around and saw that most of the other bootcamp's were doing functional, intense exercise with what seemed to be a lot of variety. I guess they were Crossfitting also right?

The point I'm making is that one of the key tenants that Crossfit defines itself by doesn't really separate it from what everyone else is doing. It's redundant. I would imagine that this has been realised many times in the past and yet we see no change to the Crossfit syllabus. Is there not an annual think tank that goes on to update these discrepancies?

I do realise that one of the great benefits of Crossfit is it’s open source approach which allows a think tank to be on the bubble constantly but sometimes the parameters can only be changed the top end of town. Of course, a reticence to changing principals that seem to be doing the job is understandable. The problem is that they are not doing the job ie they are not defining what crossfit is.

So what does make Crossfit unique?
1. The application of an objective criteria to all movements
2. A competition for every workout
3. The combination of many sports with a particular focus on the glycolytic energy system

I'd be interested to see what everyone else thinks makes Crossfit unique. I'll open it to the forum!

Last edited by Danny Healy; 09-17-2010 at 03:58 PM..
Old 09-17-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:
Re: What makes Crossfit Crossfit?

The clock on the wall that turned excercise into a competition.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
Michael Capalbo

Profile:

A functional, intense, constantly varied program isn't something that Coach G came up with, far as I know. It's at least as old as the movie Rocky IV (from 1985). Watch the training scenes!

I'm not sure if there is any particular training method that Crossfit has ownership of. The idea of a close-knit place you can go to get an amazing functional workout and make friends of both genders is a really cool concept though. But each box is run differently too. Ours has had a few group outings and barbeques.

Last edited by Michael Capalbo; 09-17-2010 at 08:17 PM..
Old 09-17-2010, 11:15 PM   #4
CJ Kim

Profile:

"CrossFit" is a trademark owned by Crossfit, Inc. Thus, any workout posted on the main page is CrossFit. Likewise for CrossFit Football, CrossFit Endurance, etc.

All those people in the park doing functional workouts don't have a license to use the trademark, so it's not CrossFit.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:38 AM   #5
Tom Reyes

Profile:

Don't count out how much the community makes crossfit. That whole "like minded people" deal. Weather or not your community is an affiliate or on this here internet.....Rarely do I hear people posting/discussing their elliptical times or how they went up in dumbbell size during jazzercise class.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:57 PM   #6
Jesse Gray

Profile:

How is the boot camp in the park constantly varied? I always seem to miss the days when they row or do olympic lifting in the park...
Old 09-19-2010, 07:07 AM   #7
Lewis Dunn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Gray View Post
How is the boot camp in the park constantly varied? I always seem to miss the days when they row or do olympic lifting in the park...
Well, then again, I always seem to miss the days when they swim or do bicycling on the main page....

My point is that "constantly varied" is hardly a precise description, or one that is universally agreed upon. Those boot camps may not be varied enough for some, and others may find main page Crossfit not varied enough for them. And clearly we are all limited in some way by venue, and just do what we can with what we have and find other ways to fill in the blanks.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:34 AM   #8
Marcus Allen

Profile:

its the shoes
Old 09-19-2010, 02:20 PM   #9
Danny Healy

Profile:

I realise coach didn't invent the concept of a functional, intense varied program but that is essentially how he defines Crossfit. See CF training guide, understanding crossfit, prescription. It's the equivalent of defing a dictionary as "paper with words on it." A dictionary does have those qualities but there are several other key qualities that differentiate it from a book.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:23 PM   #10
Danny Healy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Gray View Post
My point exactly. Many outdoor affiliates don't do O lifting due to the outdoor constraints and yet they are still "Crossfit." DO you really have to O lift and row to be considered to be crossfitting. I dont think so.