CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-30-2007, 12:40 PM   #1
Kristopher Shelton

Profile:
Wrist Pain from Handstands and HSPU

Greetings all! I hope all is well. When I do handstands for anything more than 10 seconds I feel pain in my left wrist. The feeling is akin to a deep muscle soreness (that's the best way I can describe it). I've also noticed this pain when I do push-ups of any kind for many reps.

I'm sure it's either bad form, lack of strength, improper warm-up (any suggestions?), or, most likely, a combination of some or all of the above.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-30-2007, 01:15 PM   #2
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Re: Wrist Pain from Handstands and HSPU

Do you have an injury that you know about?

Does it happen during pushups?
Old 10-02-2007, 04:58 PM   #3
Kristopher Shelton

Profile:

The only injury to my wrists that I remember is a broken wrist when I was a child (actually, it was only a hairline fracture).

The pain is actually located in a single spot but, since I have no clue as to the proper name of it, all I can say is it's in a depression in the wrist. Like if you started from the bone that sticks out to the side and go up and to the inside a bit you can press in with your finger and you'll feel a hole.

I do wrist stretches regularly so it may just be a strength issue.

As for the occurence, it only happens when I do push-ups on the floor or do handstands. It doesn't occur when I'm doing floorwiper's, benchpress, overhead presses, etc. I use push-up bars because it's the closest thing I have to rings at the moment and it doesn't affect me then either- only with push-ups and handstands.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:27 AM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I'm thinking it's because you're still fairly new to them and your wrists have not caught up. This is pretty common to most people when starting hand balance stuff.

That's bodyweight nearly on a small joint. Get to the wrist pre conditioning. Remember the whole stick, rope and weight plate exercise. Stand on something and roll that rope onto the stick with the weight plate on it to the top. DB wrist curls and rolls.

And of course, rest and stretching them out.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:17 AM   #5
Danny Spafford

Profile:

yeah i recently broke my wrist last year and after the cast was off and i went back to lifting(pre crossfit era) i would experience a sore pain. I would work through it because it wouldn't necessarily keep me from performing lifts. and after a workout i would just ice it down.

as it was posted above me i do think its a strength issue because after working my wrist back to 100% the pain went away and i could feel it was just stronger over all.

but if they pain is unbearable, don't be a hero and just rest it out and ease back into it.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:46 AM   #6
Kristopher Shelton

Profile:

Wow guys, thanks for all the information!

I will get into wrist conditioning so I can do these exercises. In the meantime, would lighter loads and wrist wraps help or just make me look silly?
Old 10-03-2007, 12:39 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

Rice bucket is great for wrists. Possibly THE best method IMO.

Fill up a bucket with rice then stick your fist in it and do circular rotations.. each way a certain number of times. Too hard? pull your hand out some. Too easy? Push it down further and/or start opening up your hand.

Low impact and strengthens forearms as well as wrists.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:47 PM   #8
Kristopher Shelton

Profile:

Dude, that is a good idea! I remember reading about rice buckets on a couple of threads but I always thought it was something having to do with R.I.C.E. (the injury-repair strategy).

I think doing some work with a forearm roller and a rice bucket and I'll be bending frying pans in half. Thanks to all!
Old 10-06-2007, 09:51 AM   #9
Jesse Emers

Profile:

Yo Kris. I have had the same problem for the past couple years. I fell on my wrist (a couple times) while skim boarding and like an idiot, I didn't go to the doctor. Now looking back on it, I figure that it was a fracture. I had pain in the right wrist while doing any movements that bent it far backwards (HSPU and especially front squats). I just kept doing the movements and put up with the pain (lighter loads of course). Today, I still have some pain only when doing really high reps or weight, but overall its almost completely healed. Just work through it and I'm sure that rice bucket will work great too.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:04 PM   #10
Kristopher Shelton

Profile:

Ah, so I'm not the only one.
It's good to know that someone else is experiencing this silliness too.