CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:15 PM   #21
James lee

Profile:
Re: Drop in Fee

we don't charge anything for visit less than a week for any crossfitters. We do politely say that they could by a shirt if they want

we also ask them for a good review on yelp or google if they liked what they saw because great review on-line is 1000 times better than 25 bucks any day.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:44 AM   #22
Ethan Nichol

Profile:

I like the T-shirt exchange idea. Great way to spread the love.

Pretty soon everyone will be wearing them like they're Hard Rock Cafe shirts!
Old 03-28-2011, 06:05 PM   #23
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia Magrini View Post
Thanks all. I totally agree it depends on whether it is local folks interested in joining vs. a travelling Crossfitter. I just think $25 is $hitty for a L1 trainer trying to get a WOD in. Tamara.....you get in free cus you're hot.
I get what you're saying, but also...
you're wanting to use their facility, their programming, their equipment, take up their time in class, be covered by their insurance...there's a cost for that.
I recognize the idea of an L1 cert. I also recognize that I've seen people in my own affiliate who've called ahead to tell me their coming, tell me their crossfit history, tell me where and when they got their L1, and reassure me several times that they're just looking to come in and workout and maybe meet some new people...then that person actually arrives at my gym and they're a hot mess AND nearly uncoachable because hey man, they're an L1.
That side of the coin is quite frustrating.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:41 PM   #24
Josh Cook

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Gowens View Post
...then that person actually arrives at my gym and they're a hot mess AND nearly uncoachable because hey man, they're an L1.
That side of the coin is quite frustrating.
Well said.

I advertise a drop in rate on the website, but rarely ever collect it. I've never been charged by an affiliate when I've visited, so I try to pass the goodwill on. I always buy a shirt, though.
Because of our location(south florida), we get a lot of people that are only around for 1or 2 days. For that we usually offer people the opportunity to buy a shirt, or trade one from their gym back home, or to buy me a plate of ribs.
I don't charge other affiliate owners, because they usually aren't interested in being coached anyway, they just want to workout.
Active duty military never get charged.
If anyone is visting for a longer period than 1 or 2 days, we work something out.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:02 PM   #25
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Gowens View Post
...then that person actually arrives at my gym and they're a hot mess AND nearly uncoachable because hey man, they're an L1. That side of the coin is quite frustrating.
I did witness one visiting CFer who was such a total hot mess that one of the coaches had to spend the entire WOD helping him. And, I believe he went and puked after the WOD. I'm not sure what the best solution is in that case.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:36 PM   #26
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Cook View Post
Well said.

I advertise a drop in rate on the website, but rarely ever collect it. I've never been charged by an affiliate when I've visited, so I try to pass the goodwill on. I always buy a shirt, though.
Because of our location(south florida), we get a lot of people that are only around for 1or 2 days. For that we usually offer people the opportunity to buy a shirt, or trade one from their gym back home, or to buy me a plate of ribs.
I don't charge other affiliate owners, because they usually aren't interested in being coached anyway, they just want to workout.
Active duty military never get charged.
If anyone is visting for a longer period than 1 or 2 days, we work something out.
Honestly, I rarely collect a drop in fee myself...especially if the person comes in and 'brings something to the table'.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:41 AM   #27
Bryan Edwards

Profile:

Being in a popular beach community we are swamped with tourist which includes tons of CrossFitters. Our rates are $15 for drop ins but waved if you buy a shirt. Those who give us a heads up and swap affiliate shirts get the fee waved. Most of the visitors we have had are experienced and do not require additional instruction. Its been my personal experience while traveling that most boxes extend the same offerings. Affiliate owners are not charged and we enjoy the visitors because they bring an unknown element into the box. Most give us great feedback on their experience and sometimes give us new ideas we implement into or box. So if you are in the Myrtle Beach area we have open doors for CF athletes.

Last edited by Bryan Edwards; 03-29-2011 at 03:42 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 03-31-2011, 01:27 PM   #28
Dan Uyemura

Profile:

UNLESS your classes are so full adding one more person displaces a paying customer, I think drop in fees over $10 are borderline offensive.

That being said, I get that some owners really need to make ends meet. I'm not suggesting that they are trying to rip anyone off per se.

But especially in the CrossFit community where we are a big supportive community, preaching open source and accessible fitness, overcharging on the drop in feels wrong.

If you're travelling to LA - come drop in with us. FREE. Always. we're right by the LAX airport and love visitors.

Read our policies here.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:29 PM   #29
Dan Uyemura

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Edwards View Post
Being in a popular beach community we are swamped with tourist which includes tons of CrossFitters. Our rates are $15 for drop ins but waved if you buy a shirt. Those who give us a heads up and swap affiliate shirts get the fee waved. Most of the visitors we have had are experienced and do not require additional instruction. Its been my personal experience while traveling that most boxes extend the same offerings. Affiliate owners are not charged and we enjoy the visitors because they bring an unknown element into the box. Most give us great feedback on their experience and sometimes give us new ideas we implement into or box. So if you are in the Myrtle Beach area we have open doors for CF athletes.

DITTO this comment about bringing unknown. I ask every drop in visitor questions about things they do back home. Warm ups, techniques, etc. There's value in learning from people who are not a part of your daily process.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:28 PM   #30
Jason Martin

Profile:

A side note/suggestion for HQ....

It would be cool if there was some sort of standardized card or certification an athlete could get that demonstrated they know the basics of CF. Card could be presented when traveling, etc. Some way to verify that someone knows what is going on before they drop in.