CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
John Herbold

Profile:
Programming question

Hey guys - have been dabbling on the periphery of CF for about 6 months, working through SS and form/technique with the occasional WOD where I had the necessary equip. I've just made some major garage gym upgrades to allow more consistent participation. I was planning on following mainsite programming 4 days/week (M,T,R,F) and posting my time/load to comments to give me some accountability and competition.

But now I've got a friend in another part of the country who does IronTribe at a gym and wants me to do their WODs and compete with him virtually.

So far, I've noticed CF WODs tend to have more strength than IT, which skews a little heavier on metcon. One of my goals is to get stronger and gain about 10lbs (currently 6', 180lbs, probably 10% bf), so I like the looks of CF. But I'm also having fun with the virtual competition and find it more compelling than posting an anonymous comment to mainsite.

Wondering if I can dabble in both. For CF mainsite programming, where's the line between randomness and progressive design? In other words, could I rotate 1 week of CF mainsite and then a week of IT?
Old 12-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: Programming question

What are your performance goals exactly?

Sure, you can do almost whatever you want if all you want to do is "get fit" in a general sense, but if you have specific goals, you're going to need to do something more focused - that may even mean neither mainpage CF nor Iron Tribe.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
John Herbold

Profile:

Jeff, goals at this time include:
1. Developing sound form, technique and skills -- everything from DUs to deadlifts to more complex oly lifts
2. Improving mobility -- my posterior chain is a stiff mess
3. Getting stronger -- after working through SS for a while, my back squat and deadlift were about 285 for 5x5, OHP 130 and bench about 185. I don't have a desire to deadlift 450 pounds, but I want continued progress. I also want more "athletic" strength than a 1RM of insane weight. I play ice hockey recreationally, have small kids and generally want to be "functionally" strong and able to stay active doing whatever I want.
4. Avoid injury -- duh

I want to continue working out in my garage, and I'd like to get to the point where I can RX 75%+ of the mainsite WODs. I like the variability in programming as I get bored easily, and I also like the 20-30 minute intensity of a workout. Plus there's an element of gaming to the whole thing, which keeps me motivated.

Is that specific enough?
Old 12-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #4
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

why wouldn't you want to deadlift 450?

personally i think you should gain about 20lbs ASAP for your height and get alot stronger.

anyway, based on your very general goals then you can do just about any program you want.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
John Herbold

Profile:

@Andrew, so how would you suggest "gaining the 20lbs ASAP and getting a lot stronger?" Looking for something more specific than eating a ton and working out hard.

To answer your question on the DL, my impression is that level of strength will take my body to a size larger than desired and also open the door to injury eventually. Perhaps I have the wrong impression…

Last edited by John Herbold; 12-12-2013 at 04:16 PM..
Old 12-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #6
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

I gotta agree with Andrew. At 6' you have good potential to be lean and stronger at around 200lbs. Most of the games athletes are under 6' and hold between 185-200lbs bodyweight.

So if you get to 200lbs a 2.5BW deadlift is a reasonable strength goal that wouldn't really interfere with other domains of CF.

How to get there?

If you have flattened out on Starting Strength, then consider 5/3/1, Westside, Texas Method etc. If you want to keep up the WOD work then make sure you don't overdo it with the strength work.

It is interesting that you feel mainsite has a lot of strength to it. Most feel that is one of the components it is lacking.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Herbold View Post
@Andrew, so how would you suggest "gaining the 20lbs ASAP and getting a lot stronger?" Looking for something more specific than eating a ton and working out hard.

To answer your question on the DL, my impression is that level of strength will take my body to a size larger than desired and also open the door to injury eventually. Perhaps I have the wrong impressionů
you could actually deadlift that much at the weight you are now. all the games athletes weight around 200 and they deadlift 450 or more, and it doesn't seem to hurt their other areas of performance. i have know many in the military that could run under a 20 minute 5K, deadlift 450, and weighed under 200, while doing tons of pushups and pullups.

as to the best way to gain 20lbs and get stronger, yes you will have to eat. but you don't want to just eat a ton and get fat. but the best way to do it is to get on a dedicated program, not just do random workouts. GSLP, CFFB, 5/3/1, etc with smart conditioning are all good choices. considering you need hypertrophy as well as strength i would recommend GSLP. if you want something more crossfit like, then you might look to Outlaw or follow one of the many affailiate programs that are online that use smart training programs.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:08 PM   #8
John Herbold

Profile:

Thanks all. Read up on various strength programs today and decided to purchase the GSLP book. Will likely start it in the new year. Looks simple and effective. It also allows me to compete with my buddy twice a week assuming the WODs don't conflict with the strength routines.