CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 09-02-2010, 09:58 AM   #41
Thomas Green

Profile:
Re: Shane Carwin & Steroids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
"If you want to do steroids, do steroids. If you dont want to do steroids, dont do steroids"

THis was once the case. Sadly, it is not anymore.
Also, that's just not true. At all. There are plenty of ways around the law so that you can legally get all the steroids you need without having to worry about legal repercussions. I'm not gonna list all the ways you can do that, but you know just as well as I do. All it takes is 2 minutes of googling
Old 09-02-2010, 10:08 AM   #42
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Not sure when this will show up, but here it goes.

1 Legal and being able to use it in sports are two different things. Each sports governing body can decide what they will allow. Regardless, if AAS and PED were legal, everyone would have equal access and then it comes down to what you are willing to do. There are all sorts of reasons why someone may not make it the big time; lack of coaching, lack of good conditioning, lack of exposure, etc. And what about Lasik, corrective surgeries (acl) etc. They aren't natural or life extending (directly).

And why is it fair that the guy nexted to me got to play pro or college sports just because he has more test or his body handles it better than mine?

2 I'm disicussing the current situation in America where it is not legal to sell AAS and PED. THerefore everything you get is blackmarket. IN that case, there has to be a seller for you to have freedom as a buyer. I prefer the case where it's legal, above board and high quality, but this is not the current situation. IN the case of it being legal, then I agree with Andrew.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:33 AM   #43
John Stone

Profile:

In the news: Shane Carwin's legal counsel has advised him not to discuss this issue.

Reading between the lines: that likely means he actually was involved in steroid use.

One question is, do MMA fans actually care? I do, but I seem to definitely be in the minority.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #44
Morgan McGaha

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stone View Post
In the news: Shane Carwin's legal counsel has advised him not to discuss this issue.

Reading between the lines: that likely means he actually was involved in steroid use.

One question is, do MMA fans actually care? I do, but I seem to definitely be in the minority.
Im with you on it. There is no doubt alot of mma guy juice.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:16 PM   #45
John Stone

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan McGaha View Post
Im with you on it. There is no doubt alot of mma guy juice.
I was reading up on some recent, related, articles when I Google searched for Shane Carwin news -- apparently the number is about 50%. As in, roughly 50% of all professional MMA fighters use some type of steroid at some cycle of their training.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:04 PM   #46
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Quote:
I was reading up on some recent, related, articles when I Google searched for Shane Carwin news -- apparently the number is about 50%. As in, roughly 50% of all professional MMA fighters use some type of steroid at some cycle of their training.
I would have guessed higher. Then again, professional sports bring out the cynic in me.

Last edited by Jason Wallis; 09-02-2010 at 08:06 PM..
Old 09-02-2010, 10:03 PM   #47
Morgan McGaha

Profile:

I will always view GSP as pure. He is ma boy! Plus, he is the sexiest being on this planet. No homo.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:45 PM   #48
John Stone

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan McGaha View Post
I will always view GSP as pure. He is ma boy! Plus, he is the sexiest being on this planet. No homo.
My wife agrees with you.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:59 AM   #49
Eric A. Brown

Profile:

Quote:
How does anyone come up with this number?

Not disputing, just wondering how someone can actually come to any conclusion given that pretty much everyone has to lie about it.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:02 AM   #50
John Stone

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric A. Brown View Post
How does anyone come up with this number?

Not disputing, just wondering how someone can actually come to any conclusion given that pretty much everyone has to lie about it.

Not everyone lies about it. They just won't say it on the record with their name attached. The 50% number I got from an article on the subject written by Dave Meltzer (who apparently privately polled one of the nations top MMA gyms, and got 50%) and fighters (like Dennis Hallman, who stated on 'Inside MMA' recently that it was around 50%).

On twitter Carwin stated he has no intentions of ever making a public statement about this, so I guess he feels it will blow over (and basically, it already has).