CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-24-2014, 09:32 PM   #11
Karter de la Nuez

Profile:
Re: Buying first bar: Rogue Ohio vs Chan Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thunander View Post
It comes down to what you are planning to use the bar for.

If you are going to do more powerlifting, get the chan bar. If you are going to do a lot of mixed use and oly, get the Ohio bar. If you close grip bench, get the Ohio bar. If you need grip in the center of the ohio bar, you can wrap the center with some grip tape.
Thats a good way to sum it up.
Leaning towards the Ohio right now for my needs.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:13 PM   #12
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Liang View Post
I have the chan bar (can't really comment on the ohio bar). But I was looking for a bar with centre knurling because I already have pendlay bearing bar.

I actually really like the chan bar, because the centre knurling is so soft and doesn't really feel like knurling. So I have had no issues with the chan bar knurling hurting when I do cleans. What I also like to is that the non knurling part is a bit longer and therefore the outer knurling won't scrape your knees (just because of this I actually prefer to use my chan bar in wods with a lot of cleans, more than my pendlay bar).

But either choice, you won't regret your purchase. Rouge bars are always worth it.
I too have the Pendlay bearing bar. I was considering picking up the Westside bar. Do you find the Chan bar to be a good compliment to the Pendlay? I'd like to have a bar with center knurling.

I am not particularly worried about the Pendlay as I have used Pendlay bearing bars that have been abused to an incomprehensible degree and they run just fine.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:22 AM   #13
Brent Latimer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Ohlms View Post
What does everyone think of the knurling difference between the two of them? The outside knurl, not the center as obviously the Ohio doesn't have it.

Originally I'd read that the Ohio's knurl was more aggressive than the original Rogue and the Chan was more aggressive than the Ohio, but Rogue's staff then told me that they're both the same.
I really like the Ohio knurl over the Rogue bar knurl. I think the Ohio knurl is finer and less aggressive - I'm no expert though.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:27 PM   #14
Nathaniel Lajoie

Profile:
I have a Black Zinc Chan Bar and a Rogue Power bar. The Chan bar is a more refined bar in terms of the build quality. The knurling on the Chan bar is less aggressive than the Power bar, but has a very nice feel and I prefer it now. The center knurl on the Chan bar is a non factor in my opinion. It is very passive. Almost like there is no knurl in the center. The decision really comes on whether you want a wider area for deadlifting. If you plan on doing competitions, than maybe you'd be better off getting a bar where the knurl spacing is more closely matched to competitive specs. Also, for pressing I don't find any issues, as I like to grip exactly where the knurl starts on the Chan bar.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:43 PM   #15
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Flagg View Post
I too have the Pendlay bearing bar. I was considering picking up the Westside bar. Do you find the Chan bar to be a good compliment to the Pendlay? I'd like to have a bar with center knurling.

I am not particularly worried about the Pendlay as I have used Pendlay bearing bars that have been abused to an incomprehensible degree and they run just fine.
I have a Westside bar from Rogue. It is very sturdy but the knurling is pretty aggressive compared to the Rogue Bar. I really like it for pressing (bench/OHP), haven't really used it for squatting or DL, but wonder if the knurl would rip up my hands.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:58 PM   #16
Brian Liang

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Flagg View Post

Hey Marshall,

Not sure how useful my comment will be, because i have only really used my own Pendley nb bar, my own Chan bar, and the rogue bars at my crossfit box. I originally picked up the Chan bar because i wanted a bar that would complement my pendlay bar, a bar more for powerlifiting (so i could leave my pendley just for olympic lifts). I personally think that the Chan bar is a very versatile crossfit bar. Centre knurling is so soft, so you can do long wods with olympic lifts and down have to worry about your chest being all scratched. The outer knurling feels great in my hands. And unless I am only doing single cleans or snatchs, i almost always use the Chan bar.

Now back to the question on if the Chan bar complements the pendley bar. For me, it is perfect (but then again, i can't really powerlift much, my max front squat is actually my max clean... very sad). Therefore, i can't really tell how much more the centre knurling is really helping. What i can say, is that having passive centre knurling, make it really easy for me to line up the centre of my body to the bar.

Wish I could be more help.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:36 PM   #17
Bryan Rowland

Profile:

I had the chance to use the Ohio bar today at a gym. I will say I am highly impressed and may have to get one for home.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:05 PM   #18
Bryan Selent

Profile:

Saw on Matt Chan's instagram that there is a new, "higher quality" Chan bar coming soon from Rogue.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:24 PM   #19
Robert Le

Profile:

oh a new chan bar coming in soon? i wonder what they will be changing. i believe they updated the ohio bar with stronger steel in the past.

im looking to buy the chan bar soon, hopefully i can remember to ask about the new/old one.

thanks for the info
Old 02-28-2014, 02:24 PM   #20
Snir Golan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Selent View Post
Saw on Matt Chan's instagram that there is a new, "higher quality" Chan bar coming soon from Rogue.
yeah they just introduced the new bar on their newsletter. looks great!

link is SFW:

http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=...1&e=3483d8cc3b

edit: sorry got confused, i don't think that this is the new Chan bar...