CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-03-2004, 11:51 AM   #1
Igor Torfs

Profile:
Why aren't peanuts & peanut butter only ranked in the fat block list? And not in the protein block list?

I mean I find a very tasty and nutritient/protein dense kind of food, that I eat regularly.

Please comment on this, as I am planning to eat zone style after the CF journal of this month.

Kind regards
Igor
Old 05-03-2004, 12:23 PM   #2
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
I'm fairly sure that they're not a complete protein.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:50 PM   #3
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I think the main reason is simplicity. Most beans are on the Carbohydrate list, even though they obviously contain protein. He's trying to reduce the complexity where he can, I think. If you look at the calorie breakdown on peanuts they are MOSTLY fat.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:06 PM   #4
Igor Torfs

Profile:
OK, I think that's a fair reason, but I want to highlight that Clarence Bass rates peanut butter very high as a protein source.

Read http://www.cbass.com/Peanutbutter.htm, an article that discusses peanut butter in detail.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:54 PM   #5
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Igor,

Great link; that's some really cool peanut butter! One of the coolest things about Bass's peanut butter was its added Omega 3as.
Normal peanut butter's nutritional profile is less rosy, however; much more fat than protein and almost as many carbs as fat. That said, I eat lots of the stuff, despite the fact that Cordain (Paleodiet) demonizes PB as a legume.
Ross Hunt
Old 05-03-2004, 01:55 PM   #6
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I hadn't thought of adding egg whites to peanut butter. I may need to try that. I eat a LOT of peanut butter.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:42 PM   #7
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
The powerbutter is AWESOME - great taste! And really a good nutritional profile compared to plain ol' PB.

It needs to be refrigerated though or it's pretty runny. I buy the 5lb tub and take a canning jar at a time to keep in the fridge at work.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:34 AM   #8
Ryan Shanks

Profile:

Short answer - because peanuts are mostly fat. They protein they contain is vegetable protein and isn't digested/absorbed as well as other types.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:45 AM   #9
Robert Wolf

Profile:
When vegetable protien is complexed with fiber (as in nuts and legumes) the protien does not elicit a glucagon response. The action of glucagon appears to be VERY important in mitigating the effects of insulin in a zone favorable meal.

In the case of tofu the fiber has been removed and one can elicit a glucogon response.
Robb
Old 05-11-2004, 08:55 AM   #10
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Mr. Torfs, Ms. Pitts,

Thanks for letting me know about Powerbutter. I ordered a 5-pound tub of the stuff, got it Friday, and it's as good as everyone says it is. Far higher BV than meat, and very tasty. The amount of sugar in it had me a little worried, but it IS honey rather than anything complex, and the vast quantity of protein and fat seems to blunt any insulin spike. I wish it could it buy it in FAR greater bulk, though - maybe I'll write to Powerbutter and see if they'll give me a deal if I buy, like, 10 tubs of the stuff.

Thanks again,

Ross Hunt