CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-14-2004, 02:02 PM   #1
Neill S. Occhiogrosso

Profile:
I've read that the same physiological responses that get you from 30% body fat to 15% body fat won't get you from 10% to 5%.

Has anybody been 10%-15% and gotten down to 5%? How?

I'm probably at 11% right now. I've never been higher than 13% or lower than 8%. I'd love to get in the neighborhood of 5% without losing all muscle. I do the WOD, don't drink, and follow zone / paleo but with lower carbs.

Thanks for your replies.
Old 05-14-2004, 04:56 PM   #2
Scott Parker

Profile:
hell yeah. when i started crossfit i was around 11%, and at one time got down to 5.5%, at the same time gaining nearly 9lbs of muscle! right now i float around 7%, but i don't get into the gym as much because of a 7 day a week school and work schedule.

all i did was follow a VERY strict paleo diet and followed the WOD, plain and simple.

scott
Old 05-14-2004, 05:19 PM   #3
Roy Taylor

Profile:
neill, I(keep in mind,.... Roy) did this to get from 9.5 % to a delicate 3.5%(no fun) by doing this:

followed the crossfit 3 day on 1 day off in conjunction with 3 days low carb 1 day carb up. There is a catch:

the last meal on the third day was around 7:00pm, and fasted until 7:00pm which was a carb up time. Actually, everything time. anything from lettuce to ice cream. I think this intermittent fast followed by a warrior diet binge episode did something amazing to the metabolism.

On the three WOD days, my staple was lots and lots of nuts(mainly walnuts and almonds) some salad, whey protein(post WO) and meat. I drastically dropped my BF that low in a mtter of a few weeks while maintaining all my muscle(I know because I looked buffer) Even though I should have tanned and entered a bodybuilding comp, I have never felt so BREAKABLE in my entire life. Im not sure if you'd wanna try this approcah, since you could be quite different from me.

Cheers

Roy
Old 05-14-2004, 05:50 PM   #4
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Roy - You said you're still doing NHE. Did you modify it at all to bring your BF back up/maintain it?
Old 05-14-2004, 05:58 PM   #5
Andrew Cattermole

Profile:
A little OT but what is a healthy range Body fat % for a 30 yo+ male.
How low can you go that will not compromise your performance in activities?
Old 05-15-2004, 12:16 AM   #6
Scott Parker

Profile:
3.5% bf, as far as i have learned is not very healthy. 5.5% is even pushing it in my opinion. i would think it would make one very susceptible to a lot of things. i mean it dosen't really give you much of a reserve it things get ugly - know what i mean? at 5.5% i actually felt fine, but had an even more voracious appetite than i usually do. 7-8% actually feels "good".

not sure what a "healthy range" is for a 30 year old. for what it's worth i am 28. it depends on your definition of healthy!

i am under the impression that anything under 5%, and "bad things" start to happen. i remember ice climbing when i was that low an froze my *** off! i wouldn't get too preoccupied with the whole bodyfat issue. gauge yourself on how you feel and your performance in the gym.

one other thing to note: i have never restricted calories, fasted, etc. i know everyone's body is different, but if you are going all out for the WOD's you are going to need more energy, right? when i began crossfit i was amazed at the fact that i was eating more than ever, leaning out, and was finally able to gain weight at the same time! just be patient, follow the WOD, and be honest with yourself about your diet.

scott
Old 05-15-2004, 07:18 AM   #7
Roy Taylor

Profile:
3.5% is very dangerous. Blocking a regular roundhouse in sparring practice when they had instep pads and I had forearm pads bruised my arm to the size of a prune and hurt!!! This is a reason why I dont like BF that low. Also, waking up in the mornings was quite a painful chore. My joints were like a bowl of rice crispies until after I drank a litre of water. Irritability was another issue. I didnt plan on going that low, but it happened. I've never looked better, not even in my dreams, but Ive never felt worse. Post surgery was more feasible!

I would say 5% is the lowball. For me it is. Certain people can go lower and still feel okay, but not I. Im now at a 4.8%, and feel WAY better than 3.5%.

It is funny what bodybuilders go through just for looks. After looking like one for a week, I conclude that it isnt worth it. Not even for a day. Especially if you are an athlete.

My advice is measure yourself regularly with CALIPERS and DO NOT get too low. Monitor how you feel. Keep in mind, if you dont look
"ripped you shreds" you could still be at 5% BF. Bodybuilders tan, and shave their stomachs which makes a dramatic difference in how cut they look. Nonetheless, Keep sports performance the number one priority.

Cheers

Roy
Old 05-15-2004, 07:20 AM   #8
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
You know what's funny?

A lot of pro bodybuilders spend countless hours getting down to 3-5 percent BF, and then they only maintain it for about a few days at most.

Some of us have gotten down close to that without hardly trying.

Says something about Crossfit, doesn't it? :wink:
Old 05-15-2004, 06:40 PM   #9
Andrew Cattermole

Profile:
Thanks guys, good information.
Old 05-15-2004, 08:31 PM   #10
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Roy,

Could you clarify?
As I understand you, your diet looked like this:

DAYS 1,2,3: WOD. Day 4: Rest.
DAYS 1,2: No high-GI carbs, even after WOD, small meals throughout the day.
DAY 3: No food throughout the day, begin carb-up at 7:00 P.M. and continue through DAY 4.

Is that right?

Thanks,

Ross