CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-10-2010, 06:51 AM   #1
Matt Trussell

Profile:
Starting the Journey

So, Iíve been a x-fit stalker for awhile now, reading the comments section of the WODs, perusing the message board, watching demos of the exercises, even practicing form on some of them, and overall coveting the x-fit system.

I have followed a bodybuilding style regime for about 3 years now, with a 4 month break in there for some surgery. Iíve come a long way since I started back when I realized that all that pizza and beer in college had done some damage to my once lean physique.

Iíve gotten a lot stronger, regained some leanness, and gained quite a bit of muscle, really capping it off with a serious lean out phase this past summer. Iíve gotten almost all of my routines out of a menís fitness magazine that Iíve learned a ton from. That magazine is actually the first place I heard about x-fit. In between routines I did what they called ďCrossfit Hell WeekĒ. This consisted of ďBaselineĒ, ďHelenĒ, 4 rounds: 400m Run & 50 squats, REST DAY, Deadlifts: 10,8,6,4,3,3,3,3, ďFranĒ, and ďMurphĒ. I was pretty humbled by everything and enjoyed the week. (I wanted to quit during ďMurphĒ so bad but kept on and was glad to do so) I did this again in between routines about 3 months later. I liked this change of pace but really saw it as just that, a fill-in when I was in between routines or something to shake things up now and then. I really didnít think I could get away from the bodybuilding style of working out.

Then, after posting my results on my bodyblog @ BB.com a nice lady told me all about how much she loved x-fit and how I should check out some more WODs. Thatís when I stumbled over to the main site and realized how much more x-fit really was. I had never performed a clean or a snatch in my life, but I wanted to badly, it looked liked they required more strength then anything Iíd ever done. Iíve also always been enamored with the rings, Iíve since made it my long term goal to be able to pull of an iron cross. After cruising the site for a couple days, I knew this was for me.

My father was career army and is no a State Trooper so I love the hero theme. These men and women are the real American heroes. I read somewhere about taking on these workouts with the ďtheyíre dead, youíre notĒ attitude and LOVE that!

X-fit is also going to get me away from globo gym more and more. Itís right beside my work so it will be hard to shake entirely but Iíve wanted to get a home gym going more and more and this is the perfect excuse. I recently became a Dad so home time is more precious then ever. I really feel with a home gym and the x-fit mentality of ďas hard as I can, as quick as I canĒ, Iíll have even more home time with even better results! Amazing! Iíve ordered some bumper plates and a bar from Wright Rubber and canít wait for them to arrive. Iíve also done extensive research via the message board of homemade equipment and have some med balls and rings already underway. The past 2 weeks Iíve been practicing and trying out my form on overhead squats (VERY humbling), cleans, and snatches. I took it pretty slow, but I have a solid base and should be able to ramp up quickly, especially at home where I can drop weights if need be (unlike at globo). It took me 1.5 years before I tried a dead lift because I wanted to make sure I was strong enough and frankly I was scared of hurting myself. I built those up slowly and plan on doing the same with cleans, snatches, etc. but hopefully a little quicker. I like the fact that finding your 1RM happens so frequently with x-fit. Iím psyched to be quantifying my gains on a regular basis and have more to look at as far as progress then just the size of my chest/biceps, etc. I also canít wait to work on some of the more gymnastic style exercises and my conditioning (I thought I might die the other day after digging in the archives and finding a cool met-con WOD I could do at home, and I didnít even do that well), really just getting out of my comfort zone. Iíve drunk the Kool-Aid and it tastes delicious!

When I decide to do something I jump in headfirst and I devour info and really go full-bore. Iím probably going to drive my wife crazy but I really want to get her involved too. Sheís been asking me for a while now to help her get more in shape and I think it will be pretty easy with the scaling of x-fit for us to work out together and really be each otherís support.

I donít think I will be following the x-fit meal plan. I know I canít go Paleo and the Zone is fairly close to what I do anyway it seems, I just eat a few more carbs. Iíve just done so much research on the meal plans I use, and really seen great results; I canít give up on them just yet. But maybe with time.

Iím sure some old bodybuilding stand-bys will sneak in once and awhile. Now they will be my fill-ins when I need a x-fit break for a couple weeks. You know, do some curls and calf raises. I also donít know if I can bring myself to do the ďkippingĒ pull-ups recommended by x-fit, they just seem like cheating to me, again maybe with time, but for now everything will be dead hang. Iíll be canceling my fitness mag subscription and subscribing to the CF Journal for sure and really canít wait for this new found experience.

So, look for me posting in the comments section, hopefully with my wifeís stats soon also. (I put her through a modified ďFight Gone BadĒ the other day and she loved it.) Iíll probably be on the message boards as well. Hit me up if youíre in Maine and want a WOD buddy sometime, (maybe when itís warmer). Everyone in this community seems really great. Iíll be splitting time for right now between my globo and my very little home gym, until the summer when I clean out my barn and make it my sweathouse. Iíll be doing some subbing for things like GHDs for now as well. But Iíll be making the best of it. Thanks for reading, hope I didnít bore you; those that have been doing this for a while have probably heard similar stories 100s of times.

3-2-1 GO!
Old 02-10-2010, 07:09 AM   #2
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:
Re: Starting the Journey

That's one hell of a first post! Welcome to the community. As I'm sure you know with your extensive knowledge of BB routines, it's often good to have a tangible goal set to strive for. After a few weeks of doing WOD's, figure out what your near term CF goal should be (BWx1 C&J, maybe a 75%BW Snatch).

There is a lot of info on these message boards, and plenty of people that like to share their expertise.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:00 AM   #3
Matt Trussell

Profile:

haha, yea, I can get a little wordy.

As for goals, so far I've done a 95lb C&J, a 75lb Snatch, and a 95lb OHS @ my globo, really just working on form and feeling the movements as I've never done them before.

The 95lb OHS was pretty tough for me, I need some flexability work I think, a short term goal there is 135lb, then BW (165) is more long term I guess.

I feel I can get a bit more on C&J once I'm in the comfort of my own home where I can bail if need be. I may be biting off more then I can chew but I think 135-165lb is doable right now. So maybe a nice long term goal would be a 1.5X BW C&J.

And man, the snatch I have a feeling is going to be my goat for awhile. Those seem crazy tough right now, a BW snatch seems like a far off thing. I think I can get 0.5X BW right now. The OHS will help me out here as well, maybe I can kind of pace them together. I think 0.75X BW sounds like a good goal for right now until I start playing around with these movements more.

And I've honestly never trained for a 1RM Bench Press because I train alone, but I plan on building some hardstops for home use and trying to max out. That won't be for a little while though. But, using some extrapolating tools my 1RM would be about 250lbs, I'd love for that to become 2X BW.

I need some work on my overhead press as well, which will help with some of these other lifts. It's a goat of mine, my 1RM there is only 140ish. Short term I want this to be BW and we'll see where I go from there.

Man, some of these goals seem nuts, I thought that about a 2X BW Deadlift until about 4-5 months ago too, can't wait to seem some slow and steady progress!
Old 02-10-2010, 08:37 AM   #4
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Don't get down on the snatch. It is one of the most complex lifts out there (if not THE most complex). If you haven't already looked, you might want to search out some Oly. Lifting coaches. Even 1 or 2 sessions with one would do you wonders.

Also, get some videos up of you doing the snatch and C&J, and read as much as you can about it. There are a lot of resources at your fingertips for improving.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:22 AM   #5
Matt Trussell

Profile:

I really should post some videos, I'll do that once I think I don't like a total boob. I've always wanted to that with me Deadlift also. Thanks for the suggestion.

I don't know how many Oly Lifting coaches there are in Maine but I'll look around, that'd be pretty fun.