CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-27-2006, 10:42 PM   #1
Wil Rader

Profile:
It's been about 2 weeks and 1 minor cold since I worked out, and today was the first time I attempted a cross training bodyweight workout. I warmed up with about a 3 minute walk, a 2 minute jog, and some speed bagging. I got down and started my cross training workout and got about half way through the second set of squats when I started feeling incredibly nauseous and sick. I sat down, drank some water, and eventually just stumbled into the house and lay on the floor for about 20 minutes.

Now, I'm not the most fit person, but I've spent the last few months jogging/running and doing some fairly hard dumbbell weight lifting workouts. Just recently, however, I started to get fairly sick just before the end of my workout. It was no problem before, I would just rest for a few minutes and be able to finish, however from what I understand with a cross training workout the entire idea is to stay active.

I'm wondering if perhaps it's my water intake. Generally I'll drop down about 2-3 cups of water about 10 minutes before my workout and I'll swallow a mouth full of cold bottled water after every set. Do I need to do something different? Before, when I was getting sick, I tried switching water with Gatoraid, Poweraid, vitamin water, even chocolate milk because someone told me it worked for them, however I had no luck with anything.

I do sweat, however not nearly as much as I do in the summer months. Is it just something I need to work up to eventually, slowly building up the endurance to do the entire workout? Perhaps both that and my water intake?

Thanks for any advice you can spare.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:43 AM   #2
Burton Webb

Profile:
I have experienced this same phenomenon. I am on abs diet, and I am considering the move to the 40 40 20 split. I experience it more frequently after eating almonds or other healthy fats. Maybe this could be related to your lactate threshold.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:49 AM   #3
Genevieve Gornicki

Profile:
Room temperature water is absorbed more readily into the body and is less of a shock on the system. Are you mentioning water because of the research which shows that water may help to boost energy level a little bit if dehydrated?
Do you do fasting workouts? More info may help
Old 12-28-2006, 09:31 AM   #4
David Plakos

Profile:
Wil - it may be a matter of too much rest between sets. i often get nausea if i take too long of a rest period between periods of not-near-maximal exertion. i'm not talking about good rest between near-maximal sets of deadlifts, but rather too much rest between sets of thrusters or sprints. the roller coaster of killing a long set of thrusters, then resting for a couple minutes, then another set, then rest, etc. makes me sick and usually ruins what could have been a good workout.

to avoid this, i'll usually just do a quick set of something less intense like pushups or bw squats that's just enough to keep the fires burning.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:15 AM   #5
Wil Rader

Profile:
I was mentioning water because I thought it the most likely suspect. I actually am waiting about 2 hours after I eat before I workout, so I could try working out closer to my last meal, with my last meal being pretty heavy usually.

I do not believe it's a matter of to much rest considering I'm only resting for about 10-15 seconds (the time it takes for me to get a swig of water, walk across the room, and perform the next exercise of the circuit.