CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-08-2006, 12:05 PM   #11
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Feed the dogs they dislike...and eat them. Native American Indians use to think very highly of dog as a meal, hence why they kept many of them around ( some other southeast asian cultures do the same ). L&C thought it bit greasy but satisfying.
Dog Food would probably be more palatable than cat food. Anyone ever smell wet cat food. I could pass on the seafood contents but ehh.
Anybody ever remember in one of the Lethal Weapons when Mel Gibson ate dog biscuits to curb his habit?
Old 02-08-2006, 01:04 PM   #12
Lisa Sorbo

Profile:
I've heard to stock dry dog food as some emergency rations (e.g. in a cabin or as the meal that is always in your day pack when hiking). It will be there in an emergency cuz you won't eat it as trail mix just cuz you're hungry (as you might jerky or some other trail mix).

they just shouldn't have called it dog food. They should have called it special formula protein powder - and left it at that.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:13 PM   #13
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:
Eating Dog-

I have had road kill coyote and it was not all that palatable, I think with omnivorous type animals especially the wide variety of food going in crosses over to the taste of their meat.

I agree, they should have just disguised the food and not let on that it was dogfood.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:28 PM   #14
Adrian "Hank" Garfield
Member Adrian

Profile:
"Feed the dogs they dislike...and eat them. Native American Indians use to think very highly of dog as a meal, hence why they kept many of them around"

Mr. Lowe, please don't paint all Native Americans as the same.

Looking no further than

http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/s/schwartz-dog.html

"... On the one hand, dogs were esteemed as companions, hunters, and guards. On the other hand, they were associated with promiscuity and filth. Among some groups, eating dogs was strictly taboo, whereas other groups ate them with great relish. Some cultures relied on dogs for transportation and hauling. Others found them to be of no use at all. Dogs played key roles in the myths of some people; in other myths, dogs were scarcely mentioned..."
Old 02-08-2006, 09:48 PM   #15
Scott Kustes

Profile:
The ego in this situation is amazing. I'd rather be alive and eating dog food (wait, if I start eating dog food, can I then start calling it human food?) than dead with my worthless pride.

"Pride only hurts, it never helps."
- Marcellus Wallace, Pulp Fiction
Old 02-09-2006, 09:50 PM   #16
Bill Betts

Profile:

It sounds like it was certainly well intentioned. If I or my children were starving to death, I would not appreciate my government refusing on my behalf. Tell me (or them) clearly what it is and allow them to make the choice. I would choose life.

Bill
Old 02-13-2006, 03:51 AM   #17
Pablo Mercado

Profile:

I knew of a family that had just gotten to the states from South East Asia and were on a VERY strict/low budget and the first time the mother went to the market she thought this was the greatest country in the world, here she had not much money at all but she could by a 50lb bag of food for her whole family. When she got it back to her house the families sponser was there and started getting angry at her asking why they would get a pet and that they don't have enough money to keep a pet. Confused the mother said she didn't now what the sponser was talking about and the sponsor pointed to the 50lb bag of dog food. The mother had simply thought it was 'food made OF dog' not food FOR a dog.

Point is, she was more than willing to keep her family fed rather than go hungry.

If you're hungry you'll eat it. But let HUNGRY people decide for themselves.

Old 02-16-2006, 08:59 AM   #18
Don Preston

Profile:
<qoute>Anybody ever remember in one of the Lethal Weapons when Mel Gibson ate dog biscuits to curb his habit?</qoute>

Remember also his main food in the Road Warrior 2 was also dog food. He's muching away happily. And hey, if the the bad-*** bronze eats it, surely you can. ;-)

Then again, what would Chuck Norris say??