CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 10-21-2013, 06:30 AM   #1
Brent Boone

Profile:
Yet another snatch critique

I love the snatch and yet, I hate the snatch. I havent been doing it very long and I know it needs a ton of work. This video is more of a power because when it starts getting heavy for me I have a harder time pulling under and catching in a squat. Anyway, how horrible are the first two pulls? Trash away...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuMNR0ZTN-k
Old 10-21-2013, 07:35 AM   #2
Mike Donalds

Profile:
Re: Yet another snatch critique

You need to re-learn how to perform this lift from scratch. Start over, take it slow and learn correctly. The more you try to do this with weight on the bar, the more you're reinforcing terrible habits which will already be extremely difficult to break.

Watch the Cal Strength progression videos and use nothing but an empty barbell while you're re-learning. Glenn Pendlay does a great job at breaking it down and making it easy to follow. Do full snatches when learning. NEVER power snatch again until you watch the progression videos and re-learn using that methodology. The power snatch is an ASSISTANCE exercise for those who are already proficient in the FULL snatch.

Also, I hope that wasn't your trainer congratulating you on how easy that lift looked. If it is, I'd find another gym.

Last edited by Mike Donalds : 10-21-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:42 AM   #3
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Um. Sorry, but Mike is right.

Start from the hips (high hang) and work down from there. With just the bar.

Don't add weight until you can do it right. And, make sure whoever is telling you what "right" is actually knows what they are talking about.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #4
Brent Boone

Profile:

Ok, thanks for the tips. I'll work the full lift with just the bar. Maybe upload a vid of that because im a glutton for punishment. I knew the finish was bad, but the set up, bar path, extension....everything was horrible? Thanks again
Old 10-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #5
Jeff Enge

Profile:

It is never about about just the finish. You have to be out of position in the first place in order to have a bad finish, especially on lower weights.

Again, start from the top and work down. And when you get to the ground, remember patience in your first pull. From the ground to the knees is about getting into the right position for the power parts of the lift.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #6
Mike Donalds

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Boone View Post
Ok, thanks for the tips. I'll work the full lift with just the bar. Maybe upload a vid of that because im a glutton for punishment. I knew the finish was bad, but the set up, bar path, extension....everything was horrible? Thanks again
It's not that everything was horrible. It's that you never learned the proper positions and patterns behind the lift, so as soon as you start moving the bar, your body is subconsciously "filling in the blanks," so to speak. If you do that long enough, you'll have one hell of a time unlearning everything you've patterned your body to do.

I've seen people relearn these movements that look great under training loads, but as soon as we get close to maximum, they sometimes revert back to the terrible habits they've engrained by all those previous hours of improper movement. No one is immune and we all do it to some degree. They say practice makes perfect, but it doesn't. Practice makes permanent and undoing improper practice is a long and frustrating road.

This lift (and the clean) takes time and dedication to learn properly. "Time" could mean months, or it could mean years. Just stick with it and make sure you're working with someone who knows their @$$ from a hole in the ground when it comes to all this stuff.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #7
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Celebrity Jeopardy, anyone? Sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40vSMTQHV0o wfs

This is the start of a series on snatch warmup/progressions by my coach. Just another view you can take with the Cal Strength progressions Mike offered.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	12981  
Old 10-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
Mike Donalds

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Celebrity Jeopardy, anyone? Sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40vSMTQHV0o wfs

This is the start of a series on snatch warmup/progressions by my coach. Just another view you can take with the Cal Strength progressions Mike offered.
lol @ celeb jeopardy. Loved that skit
Old 10-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #9
Brent Boone

Profile:

Thanks again guys......and my personal fav Jeopardy category was always, The Pen is Mightier
Old 10-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #10
Mike Donalds

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Boone View Post
Thanks again guys......and my personal fav Jeopardy category was always, The Pen is Mightier
A Petit