CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
Dag Friedman

Profile:
Question about Crossfit Competition

So I was interested in doing one of the local crossfit competitions in the Master's Category (I am 43 so I qualify). My concern is box jumps. I stopped doing box jumps this year because I pretty much always throw my back out whenever I do this move and of course that is not fun. So my question is, how does this work, if box jumps are in one of the wods do I just get the lowest score (which I am ok with ) since obviously I am not going to do them or am I disqualified from the rest of the events?
Old 02-08-2013, 05:42 AM   #2
David Alexander

Profile:
Re: Question about Crossfit Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag Friedman View Post
So I was interested in doing one of the local crossfit competitions in the Master's Category (I am 43 so I qualify). My concern is box jumps. I stopped doing box jumps this year because I pretty much always throw my back out whenever I do this move and of course that is not fun. So my question is, how does this work, if box jumps are in one of the wods do I just get the lowest score (which I am ok with ) since obviously I am not going to do them or am I disqualified from the rest of the events?
Usually competitions will have a minimum amount of reps to complete with a time cap. For example: 1000m row, 50 pistols, 30 hang cleans. time cap is 17 min, if you don't finish each rep you missed will add one second. But you have to make a minimum of 12 cleans, or you are dropped. Does that make sense?

It can go either way, it just depends on the competition. Can you do "step up" box jumps? Usually for master divisions "step ups" are allowed. So you might go a lot slower, but you would at least get to continue.

I think you should focus on why box jumps throw your back out. Maybe there is some rehab you can do for that.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:05 AM   #3
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Depends on the organizers rules.

I recently did a competition where you had to be either 100% Rx'd or 100% scaled. I'm 45 and have had some shoulder issues so I try to be careful.

I did about half the WODs Rx'd and half scald and as a result got no score. That was fine with me because I wanted the experience of an all day event.

Just remember it is your money and your body you can do what you want. It may eliminate you from a ranking but that is OK. Hopefully they do a good job of post scores for each individual event so you can see how you compare.

I too would suggest investigating the back issue on box jumps. Box jumps are not normally know to be trouble some for backs so something seems amiss.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
Dag Friedman

Profile:

Thanks for the info. I am working on the back issue currently, going to the chiropractor. I honestly had not really put too much thought into why box jumps was an issue simply because it is the only exercise that seems to be bad for me and I have always just replaced it with wall balls. But obviously now that I am looking to try some of the competitions I agree I should probably see what the issue is and if it can be rectified.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
John Holcombe

Profile:

Could you just do step ups?
Old 02-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #6
Dag Friedman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holcombe View Post
Could you just do step ups?