CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
Bradley James Thompson

Profile:
How tight should the IT Band Be?

Mine seems tight, but supposedly, you can't stretch it.

When I lie down on my side, my IT band seems to get really tight, and the whole outside of my thigh turns into this almost rigid sheet of tissue. It feels messed up. And I've done foam rolling but it seems like it makes my ITB tighter.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
Patrick Gelinas

Profile:
Re: How tight should the IT Band Be?

Brad:

Sorry to hear about your IT band. What I've found (and most PTs that I've spoken with agree) that when your IT bands are tight, your quads, hip flexors, and low back muscles are also likely very tight (almost a guarantee). So, maybe try spending time on the foam roller for your quads and hip flexors, too, and do plenty of low back stretches like the double knee hug. With the foam roller, the idea is to work THROUGH/OVER the sore areas, not avoid rolling on them, LOL! No it doesn't tickle, but that's the point: to break up the muscular adhesions. Camp out on those spots, too, a few minutes at a time per spot, at least.

Also, make sure to spend plenty of time strengthening your glutes & hamstrings - floor bridges, hip extensions, etc. When the glutes are strong, they'll help to keep your low back muscles (erector spinae) in check. Just make sure to use your glutes to extend your hip, not your low back muscles. Those exercises, paired with flexibility work on the quads, hip flexors, and low back should go a long way to speeding up your recovery.

Hope this helps! Good luck,

Pat
Old 01-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
Brian Strump

Profile:

Aww $hit. I cannot believe I'm about to do this.

I'm only going to answer once. I don't care what your family members or PCP opinions are.

Can you try to be any less specific when you say it "seems tight". As compared to what? Given all your other injury posts, my guess would be that it's tight in response to a general instability of your core, and inhibited muscles in the area.

Muscles can be long and tight, or short and tight. Knowing the difference will allow to figure out how to correct those issues. Perhaps someone else will chime in willing to help. I'm all out of patience.

Don't reply to this with questions; I will not answer any of them.

<Kicks feet up, grabs popcorn and waits to see Bradley question every single reply to his post>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley James Thompson View Post
Mine seems tight, but supposedly, you can't stretch it.

When I lie down on my side, my IT band seems to get really tight, and the whole outside of my thigh turns into this almost rigid sheet of tissue. It feels messed up. And I've done foam rolling but it seems like it makes my ITB tighter.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
Bradley James Thompson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
Aww $hit. I cannot believe I'm about to do this.

I'm only going to answer once. I don't care what your family members or PCP opinions are.

Can you try to be any less specific when you say it "seems tight". As compared to what? Given all your other injury posts, my guess would be that it's tight in response to a general instability of your core, and inhibited muscles in the area.

Muscles can be long and tight, or short and tight. Knowing the difference will allow to figure out how to correct those issues. Perhaps someone else will chime in willing to help. I'm all out of patience.

Don't reply to this with questions; I will not answer any of them.

<Kicks feet up, grabs popcorn and waits to see Bradley question every single reply to his post>
"I'm all out of patience."

Me too. After 7 years of attempted help I'm beginning to think the whole industry is a scam and no one actually knows what they're talking about.

What else am I supposed to do? I'm in the middle of another PT program that isn't helping at all. Heck, they wouldn't even give me a home program, except to say that I CAN do anything I do there.

If you're going to be a d*ck don't bother responding.

Last edited by Bradley James Thompson : 01-20-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
Chris Carroll

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley James Thompson View Post
"I'm all out of patience."

Me too. After 7 years of attempted help I'm beginning to think the whole industry is a scam and no one actually knows what they're talking about.

What else am I supposed to do? I'm in the middle of another PT program that isn't helping at all. Heck, they wouldn't even give me a home program, except to say that I CAN do anything I do there.

If you're going to be a dick don't bother responding.
Well said, especially the "dick" part. No, but seriously....

I read this site religiously and am pretty impressed on how many experienced individuals help out the crossfit community. Steven and Daniel come to mind, but also Brian. Keep it positive because there are lots of us not posting but getting tons of help from you. my 2 cents
Old 01-21-2013, 06:05 AM   #6
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Carroll View Post
Well said, especially the "dick" part. No, but seriously....

I read this site religiously and am pretty impressed on how many experienced individuals help out the crossfit community. Steven and Daniel come to mind, but also Brian. Keep it positive because there are lots of us not posting but getting tons of help from you. my 2 cents
Chris,

Try searching Bradley's name and you'll see why I posted as I did.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #7
Chris Carroll

Profile:

Quote:
Chris,

LOL...fair enough! In hindsight, it was none of my business anyway. Thanks for your help on this site.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
Bradley James Thompson

Profile:

Quote:
Chris,

Which means simple and reasonable questions cannot be answered?
Old 01-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #9
Matt A. Windsor

Profile:

FWIW, I think he's saying he's answered a ton of simple and reasonable questions. *shrug*
Old 01-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #10
Oli Kellett

Profile:

Didn't you already ask this question?
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=68210 (WFS)