CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-16-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
Aaron Herzog

Profile:
Wendler 5-3-1, deload, and mobility work

For those of you doing Wendler, what do you do with your mobility work during deload weeks.

I have two conflicting gut feelings
1) I have extra time since I'm not lifting as much, so I should do more mobility work.
2) The purpose of the deload is to let my body recover and decondition, so I should do less mobility work, to give my muscles the break.

What do others do?

My current mobility looks like foam rolling pre workout and then 30-45 minutes of T-Spine, Shoulder, Hip/Hammy, and Ankle mobilization or stretches before going to bed.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: Wendler 5-3-1, deload, and mobility work

your mobility work should not cause you problems with your Wendler 5/3/1 strength work.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
Aaron Herzog

Profile:

Sean, I'm wondering if should I do more, less, the same amount, or doesnt it really matter.

Judging by your response, I would lean towards doesn't really matter.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
Clint Harris

Profile:

I would think that it is all time dependent - can you spend another 20 or so minutes at the gym mobilizing ? If so, do it. I'm not sure that there is such a thing as too much - perhaps - but considering the amount of time we spend each day not mobilizing, then can you do it too much? There may be a period of diminishing returns if you do the same thing over and over though. I don't think it's all that unusual to "mobilize" twice or more a day. For instance, I do some rolling in the morning to hit some of those tweaky spots from the day before; then some more when before/after I workout; and then other times when it strikes me to do so. Often it's just one body part here and there too. e.g. like roll the calf, or stretch the hammys, or lacrose ball the bottom of my feet while I watch TV (love that). I'll also do stretches too.

What is your "mobilizing" anyway ? Are you working on weak areas or just doing the same stuff over and over? Perhaps every deload you could do a test/retest scenario where you mix it up. E.g. Cycle 1 you work on ankle mobility and "maintenance". Then in that deload week, you test your ankles and either keep working that weak spot, or, find another weakness to hit up on the next cycle - like shoulders etc. Just a thought.

The one thing I've always wondered for Wendler deload is assistance work. I can't tell what to do with the deload week. e.g. If we do "boring but big" where we have the 5x10 burn out sets to do .... so do we do these on in Wave 4 too ?
Do you do assistance work with Wendler ? If so, what do you do for that on the deload week ?

Cheers
Old 10-17-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
Aaron Herzog

Profile:

Clint,
I drop all assistance work except for back work, since they major lift really don't hit the back much. I do drop the weight on those to about 1/2 and stick with 5 sets.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
Jesse Martin

Profile:

Mobility work should not be taxing in anyway that you would need to deload from it.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #7
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Herzog View Post
Sean, I'm wondering if should I do more, less, the same amount, or doesnt it really matter.

Judging by your response, I would lean towards doesn't really matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Harris View Post
I would think that it is all time dependent - can you spend another 20 or so minutes at the gym mobilizing ? If so, do it. I'm not sure that there is such a thing as too much - perhaps - but considering the amount of time we spend each day not mobilizing, then can you do it too much? There may be a period of diminishing returns if you do the same thing over and over though. I don't think it's all that unusual to "mobilize" twice or more a day. For instance, I do some rolling in the morning to hit some of those tweaky spots from the day before; then some more when before/after I workout; and then other times when it strikes me to do so. Often it's just one body part here and there too. e.g. like roll the calf, or stretch the hammys, or lacrose ball the bottom of my feet while I watch TV (love that). I'll also do stretches too.

What is your "mobilizing" anyway ? Are you working on weak areas or just doing the same stuff over and over? Perhaps every deload you could do a test/retest scenario where you mix it up. E.g. Cycle 1 you work on ankle mobility and "maintenance". Then in that deload week, you test your ankles and either keep working that weak spot, or, find another weakness to hit up on the next cycle - like shoulders etc. Just a thought.

The one thing I've always wondered for Wendler deload is assistance work. I can't tell what to do with the deload week. e.g. If we do "boring but big" where we have the 5x10 burn out sets to do .... so do we do these on in Wave 4 too ?
Do you do assistance work with Wendler ? If so, what do you do for that on the deload week ?

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Herzog View Post
Clint,
I drop all assistance work except for back work, since they major lift really don't hit the back much. I do drop the weight on those to about 1/2 and stick with 5 sets.
Right - it shouldn't matter.
I can't imagine that even doing a little extra mobility work - because you have extra time - would matter unless you are putting in some serious time (2 hours) on mobility stuff.

When I program 5/3/1 for clients, I do not program accessory work on the deload weeks.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #8
Brian Strump

Profile:

If you need to put in that much time on mobility each day (45+mins), then you are not fixing the perceived problems.

More and more mobility work only helps if you have a MOBILITY problem.

If you always feel "tight" despite all the work you are putting in with mobility, I would guess that mobility is not necessarily your issue.

Why do you do some much mobility work? What "feels" tight.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #9
Tommy Santos

Profile:

As far as corrective exercise and mobility at my gym, we stop all exercise until these things are corrected. What good is it to keep bench pressing if your shoulder mobility is awful, your chest is over active and an antagonist isn't firing. Need to correct before anything. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Tommy Santos : 10-22-2012 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-23-2012, 08:37 AM   #10
Aaron Herzog

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
If you need to put in that much time on mobility each day (45+mins), then you are not fixing the perceived problems.

More and more mobility work only helps if you have a MOBILITY problem.

If you always feel "tight" despite all the work you are putting in with mobility, I would guess that mobility is not necessarily your issue.

Why do you do some much mobility work? What "feels" tight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Santos View Post
As far as corrective exercise and mobility at my gym, we stop all exercise until these things are corrected. What good is it to keep bench pressing if your shoulder mobility is awful, your chest is over active and an antagonist isn't firing. Need to correct before anything. Hope this helps.
Brian and Tommy,
Thanks for the help. My mobility is not terrible, but it could be better. T-spine and shoulder are fine. My main problem is hip mobility at the bottom of the squat. I have been working on a *ss to grass squat and my hips for a lack of better term "lock up" when I get about an inch below parallel and I cant descend any further. I sit in an office chair 8 hours a day, so I was thinking adding in more mobility might help, but perhaps I just need to add different mobility.

My current MOB work looks like

4-5 times a week.
1) Foam roll the entire legs on a 4" PVC roller
2) Couch Stretch 2 minutes each leg
3) Static Hammy Stretches (touch my toes with bent knees, Lock the lower back, and then work on straightening the knees)
4) Alternate days of external and internal rotated stretches, where I flex in or out of hip extension or flexion with the leg either in external or internal rotation.