CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #1
Om Puri

Profile:
Knees drifting in front of toes OK for LBBS?

Seems there's mixed advice on this. I'd like some input from you.

I have poor hip mobility. I work on it daily by stretching hamstrings, adductors, hip flexors, etc., and am going to hang out more in the squat stretch position every day as well. But in order to get my hips lower, they need to come down & forward. That's impossible to do without knees drifting a few inches ahead of toes. I see O lifters with their knees in front of their toes all the time. But not powerlifters. So does that mean it's OK for knees to drift forward only in O lifts (including HBBS), but not in power lifts (LBBS)?

Thanks.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: Knees drifting in front of toes OK for LBBS?

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=71400
Old 12-12-2011, 07:25 PM   #3
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

Keep working on the mobility. Honestly, the super couch stretch and the hip flexion, external rotation stretch from the mobility wod have the best carryover for the Olympic squat in my opinion. Keep working these two daily before and after training, and you will notice your hips opening up very fast.

In addition, do not forget to keep the weight on your heels in the squat. Think of your shoes being cemented in the ground once your have your stance, then squat. The weight should be felt anywhere from heel to midfoot, never the ball of the foot.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #4
Michael Loucas

Profile:

All else equal (form etc.) it has to do with the length of your limbs in your lower body. If you have longer femurs and shorter tibias then your knees will be more forward than if the opposite were true (short femur and long tibias)
Old 12-12-2011, 09:25 PM   #5
Om Puri

Profile:

Thanks guys! Exactly what I was looking for.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:53 AM   #6
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Puri View Post
Seems there's mixed advice on this. I'd like some input from you.

I have poor hip mobility. I work on it daily by stretching hamstrings, adductors, hip flexors, etc., and am going to hang out more in the squat stretch position every day as well. But in order to get my hips lower, they need to come down & forward. That's impossible to do without knees drifting a few inches ahead of toes. I see O lifters with their knees in front of their toes all the time. But not powerlifters. So does that mean it's OK for knees to drift forward only in O lifts (including HBBS), but not in power lifts (LBBS)?

Thanks.
Don't worry about how far forward your knees are... instead pay attention to where the weight is on your feet. It should be evenly distributed between heel and toe or maybe slightly more on the heel. If the weight is heavier toward your toes (even if your heels don't actually leave the ground) or if you can feel the weight rock back and forth during the movement, you have a problem. It could be technique related or mobility related or both.

O-lifters are doing front squats, which require a more upright torso to keep the weight over the mid-foot; the result of this is knees that are farther forward, often well past the toes. As you move the bar back, the torso will have a less upright angle at the bottom, which moves the hips back, and therefore the knees also, so a low-bar back squat will usually not result in knees past the toes. A high-bar back squat will be somewhere in-between, but closer to a low-bar than to a front squat. The commonality between all well-executed squats is that the bar is over the mid-foot.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:58 PM   #7
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

Your ankle flexion will establish itself in the first third of the squat or so. If your knees suddenly come forward at the bottom of the squat, you are dumping hamstring tension and/or have exceeded the limits of your mobility. No bueno for performance or safety.