CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-01-2011, 11:28 PM   #1
Danny Martel

Profile:
Programming for Crossfit by Chad Wesley Smith

http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/...h-development/

Very good read, sharing for comments!
Old 12-04-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Programming for Crossfit by Chad Wesley Smith

Interesting programming.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:02 PM   #3
Richard Macaulay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Interesting programming.
Yeh interesting looking stuff. Have you read any work by 'jim steel?' It's very similar to his In both the amount of gym days per week and the movements used each day. Google 'train like an athlete part 1' (theres 3 parts, each 3 weeks long and includes running workouts to).

Ricky
Old 12-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I think Jim Steel has written a few articles that were posted over on SS.com

And I've seen at least part 1, maybe part 2 of the Train like an Athlete series.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:01 AM   #5
Richard Macaulay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
I think Jim Steel has written a few articles that were posted over on SS.com

And I've seen at least part 1, maybe part 2 of the Train like an Athlete series.
Similarities?

Ricky
Old 12-06-2011, 07:18 AM   #6
Evan Peikon

Profile:

is the template in the article posted above literally only 2 days a week of lifting like that, or is it just showing two of the days per week as a reference?
Old 12-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #7
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Peikon View Post
is the template in the article posted above literally only 2 days a week of lifting like that, or is it just showing two of the days per week as a reference?
You need to go back and read the article again. The template is:

Lifting Day
Aerobic Day
CrossFit Day
Aerobic Day
Lifting Day
Aerobic Day
Rest Day

He then goes on to outline two possible programs for the two lifting days, a six week progression and a three week progression. It's similar to the format of Chris Mason's Conjugate CrossFit template. The difference is that Chris had three days of CrossFit metcons and an extra rest day, with no focus days just for aerobic capacity.

It's not bad programming. However, I think Chad makes a mistake that is common by outsiders looking in; he overestimates the importance of training aerobic capacity and underestimates the importance of training lactate threshold. The concept of training lactate threshold 3+ times a weeks is foreign to most strength coaches, but that's really what makes or breaks CrossFit athletes.

If I were to do this program, I'd make one of two modifications.

Version 1

Lifting Day
Aerobic Day
CrossFit Day
Rest Day
Lifting Day
CrossFit Day
Rest Day

In this version, the aerobic day would be interval sprints (run, row or swim). The first metcon day would be 10-15 minutes and moderately heavy. The second metcon day would either be long (20+ minutes) and light or a series of 3-5 short (less than 5 minutes) heavy sprints.

Version 2

Lifting day + interval sprints
CrossFit Day
CrossFit Day
Rest Day
Lifting Day + interval sprints
CrossFit Day
Rest Day

This version is for more advanced athletes who have the time to do two separate workouts twice a week and the ability to recover from the extra volume and CNS taxation. Interval sprint workouts should be done 3+ hours after the lifting workout. The first metcon day would be 15-20 minutes and of moderate intensity (bodyweight movements plus kettlebells or medballs, etc.). The second metcon day should be 10-15 minutes and moderately heavy. The third metcon day should be long and light or short heavy intervals.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by Christopher G. Woods : 12-06-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:31 PM   #8
Danny Martel

Profile:

I shared the article for a few reasons, I tought it was a interesting read written by a strength athlete and coach!
Probably a good template like cffb, strengthvillain ,70s etc..

On the same subject, I got my hands on Wendler 5/3/1 second edition and the new chapter on crossfit is well done!
Not gonna share it but for 20$ if you don't have the first one. Do yourself a favor for christmas!
Old 12-11-2011, 09:53 AM   #9
David Meverden

Profile:

Thanks for sharing that!

Interesting stuff. With all the conjugate hybrid interest these days I find his assertion that we can't effectively utilize ME days interesting. Makes me wonder if templates that use ME days would be better served with primarily 3 RMs rather than 1RMs.

I'm glad he lays something out exactly. I'd like to see it tried out by some people before I'd give it a shot, though. My first impression is that it would, if combined with many CF workouts, lay a beat down that could not be recovered from (front squats or deadlifts after 12 sets of power cleans? Ouch.) but no way to be sure without trying it out on some athletes. Of course that's probably why he has aerobic days instead of high intensity days.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:55 AM   #10
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

The repetition based strength programming is actually what I like about it the most. Working those 3-10 rep sets at sub-maximal (but heavy) weights will help dial in form under fatigue. ME training is great for building absolute strength, but it isn't going to prepare you for when you have to do 45 reps at 60+ percent of your 1 rep in the course of a workout. With ME programming you will still end up needing to do separate heavy metcon workouts for strength endurance.

Still, I see this-and I think Chad intends this-as more of an "off-season" program. He promises future articles on periodization leading up to competition, and I'm very intrigued to see more of his ideas.

Also, 12x3 Power Cleans may seem like a lot, but it's only at 60-65%; that's on the heavy end of metcon weight. With the squats/deadlifts being around the same percent, it's really not that bad. Let me ask you this. Would you have a similar reaction if you saw this workout:

Back Squat 5-5-5-5-5

then:

5 rounds
7 power cleans, 155#
50 double unders

That's pretty typical strength biased programming, right? So, you're probably going to end up working up to about 85% on the Back Squat, and 155# power cleans would be just under 60% for someone with a 275# 1RM (which is above average for CrossFitters). I'd say the overall CNS taxation is about the same, but you're not pushing lactic threshold in Chad's program; you're doing that on a separate day.

Last edited by Christopher G. Woods : 12-11-2011 at 11:00 AM.