CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-01-2011, 02:01 AM   #1
Micheal O Mahony

Profile:
Mwod

Hi guys

I am trying to improve my mobility but in fairness to K-Star he has a vast catalog of wod. can anyone recommend say seven must do to spread over a week cheers
Old 12-01-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Re: Mwod

Good place to start.

9 Stretches You Should Know
Old 12-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #3
Erik Wäffel

Profile:

Was just about to post the same question so I'll steal some space in this thread if it's ok.

The given example looks good and in addition to that I wonder which areas to focus on with a few exercises? I am thinking in the lines of a program (starting strength/you name it) for mobility purposes where one would do 2-3 exercises per area per week. Given areas are hamstrings/hips and lower back/glutes. Neck and feet mobility is good but I don't count this into the basic mobility exercises areas (as a beginner in this area).

What major areas ought to be targeted in order to build a solid mobility foundation? Will 2-3 exercises for each area per week be sufficient in order to progress?

Further: How is mobility wod used? Are they just examples of what one can do each day? I find it hard to believe that mobility will increase with alternating exercises every day.

Last edited by Erik Wäffel : 12-01-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #4
Mike Moulder

Profile:

I know you're looking for quick answers here, but K-Starr does a great job of helping you work on your whole body. I went to youtube and went to Kelly's channel, then selected all vids, then set them to list from oldest to newest. It does take some time to get through all of them, I got distracted and have to go start over, but they'll help tremendously. He has sets that target different exercises and will work really well. I've cherry picked some of his stuff for problem areas. I started running not long ago and love it, but my shins were sore and weren't getting better. I had my first race coming up and had already paid the fees so I didn't want to just give it up. Searched Kelly's vids and found one where he went over some good stretches to help your shins for running... I ran the race and my shins were a little sore, but otherwise great.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
Adam Carlson

Profile:

K-Star himself would tell you that it's really about knowing your own body and what your own issues are. If you sit on the ground with your feet straight out and together in front of you while keeping your spine straight (no rounding in the lumbar), chances are you don't have hamstring issues. You might have shoulder issues instead, or lat issues, or calf issues, etc.

The point is to try some of the things he is showing, and if it is obviously very tight, go after them until they aren't an issue any more.

That being said, places that I find are my issues:

1) hamstrings
2) quads
3) thoracic spine
4) shoulders (usually a combination of thoracic, lat, and pec tightness)
5) hips

I start from those major points and then move on out if I feel something else going on. If there have been a bunch of box jumps/double unders, then maybe my calves need a bit more attention. If there have been things that hit grip strength quite a bit, I might work on forearm and upper arm stuff.

If you have problems with the bottom part of the squat, work on your hips and some hamstrings, and if you have trouble getting in to the rack position for a front squat, go after the thoracic spine and lats.

You know your body and what you need to do. A routine is nice, but you might be stretching things that already are fine while missing the issues that need to be addressed.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:26 PM   #6
Micheal O Mahony

Profile:

n I have problems every where, just need to apply myself for 15mins daily I think over the next few months. now to get busy
Old 12-02-2011, 12:54 PM   #7
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Wäffel View Post
Was just about to post the same question so I'll steal some space in this thread if it's ok.

The given example looks good and in addition to that I wonder which areas to focus on with a few exercises? I am thinking in the lines of a program (starting strength/you name it) for mobility purposes where one would do 2-3 exercises per area per week. Given areas are hamstrings/hips and lower back/glutes. Neck and feet mobility is good but I don't count this into the basic mobility exercises areas (as a beginner in this area).

What major areas ought to be targeted in order to build a solid mobility foundation? Will 2-3 exercises for each area per week be sufficient in order to progress?

Further: How is mobility wod used? Are they just examples of what one can do each day? I find it hard to believe that mobility will increase with alternating exercises every day.
The mobilitywod uses a conjugate approach so that you are hitting your tissues in new ways all the time so that each mobilization is as effective as possible and never stale. Keep it mind it takes 2 minutes or so to make change, so 2-4 mobs will net you 10-20 minutes of work. The 2-4 mobs per day is basically so that you have NO DAYS OFF and always have time to do something. If you have more than 10-20 minutes to work on mobility, go for it.

As far as using the site, you can basically follow along and do a post everyday. Start at the beginning, the middle, wherever. The ultimate goal as said above is to find out what positions you suck at and work on those everyday. These become your "core." From there you sprinkle in other mobs to keep the rest of the body progressing/maintaining its mobility. See this video on programming for mobility:

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2011/09/e...-mobility.html

link wfs
Old 12-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #8
Erik Wäffel

Profile:

Awesome replies, thank you all. Had not even considered the "troubleshooting" approach to mobility.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #9
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Having correct position for the movements in your WODs should be first priority to prevent injury.

I can tell an awful lot about my members mobility from two simple lifts. Front squat and over head squat. Front squat with a little weight, say #65, and over head squat with just a barbell.

Can they rack the bar correctly getting the upper arm parallel to the ground, get low enough while maintaining lumbar curve and maintain healthy foot/knee position in the front squat? Lower body is the same in the overhead squat but can they maintain the centered bar position in the over head squat? With just the bar if they are tight through the shoulders it will show up here.

If you have ankle, hip, shoulder restrictions they will show up. Just make sure you are warmed up. At 43 yo the difference in how I move before and after warming up is huge. Warmed up I move pretty well, cold I'm a disaster.

Then search MWOD for help in the areas you were deficient. Video taping yourself will reveal a lot.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:15 AM   #10
Micheal O Mahony

Profile:

great replies guys, got some great information from all the threads i have put up