CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 08-24-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
Gavan Hennigan

Profile:
Resting Heart Rate/Blood Pressure

Hey Everyone,
I'm a little concerned over my resting heart rate,currently it's about 60BPM,if i move around a little it can spike to 90BPM.
My job is a commercial diver,i live inside pressure vessels for 28 days at a time and work under alot of pressure at great depths doing subsea oilfield construction for 6hours a day.
So 'My livelihood depends on fitness' and i train cossfit when not working,i've been an athlete all my life,competing at national level in swimming from the age of 8-20 years old.I'm 30 years old now,5'9,165lbs.Some of my Crossfit times - Angie - 12:55,Daniel 15:30,Jackie 6:35,Jerry 20:48.My Vo2 Max was 62.4 recently.
I don't drink or smoke,my diet is a bit touch and go with Paleo but i do my best as we need alot of calories working in freezing water 150m under the water.

Also my Blood Pressure has been 140/90 twice in last few months,i have about 10 medicals a year for my job,pre and post saturation and going into the chamber,HR needs to be under 90 and BP at normal levels.

We have a really big job coming up soon in the Gulf of Mexico at a depth of 270m,so i need to be in perfect shape.I am the fittest ive ever been and i never thought i'd achieve that level again after what i got to at the age of 18 competitive swimming.

Anyway if anybody has any insights into what is up with me,i'd love to hear it.
Thanks
Old 08-24-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Resting Heart Rate/Blood Pressure

I'd suggest talking to your doctor.

Resting HR of 60 is good. Having it spike when you move around is normal for athletes: your system "turns on" fairly quickly.

But 140/90 is a worryingly high BP. Could be genetic, could be diet-related, could be overtraining or some other kind of ongoing stress, but it's not something you want to ignore.

Katherine
Old 08-24-2011, 01:12 PM   #3
Gavan Hennigan

Profile:
Re: Resting Heart Rate/Blood Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
I'd suggest talking to your doctor.

Resting HR of 60 is good. Having it spike when you move around is normal for athletes: your system "turns on" fairly quickly.

But 140/90 is a worryingly high BP. Could be genetic, could be diet-related, could be overtraining or some other kind of ongoing stress, but it's not something you want to ignore.

Katherine
Thanks Katherine,yes i will seek medical advice on the matter,my BP has always been normal up until couple of months ago and i failed to mention that the 2 times i measured it high i was also sporting a cold sore - i get these when i get too much sun or am run down,usually from bad sleep patterns due to my job and over training which i feel i am guilty of.