CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-16-2011, 05:50 PM   #1
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Touch and go vs. reseting.

Just wanted to get your opinions on touch and go deadlifts vs resetting and releasing tension at the bottom. I'm talking about the merits of each as it pertains to training effect, not whether or not it should be allowed in competition. Also, touch and go meaning the weights barely kiss the ground and then back up. Not some big slamming bounce off the ground with bumper plates.

Thoughts?
Old 06-16-2011, 06:17 PM   #2
Terry Gibbs

Profile:
Re: Touch and go vs. reseting.

merits to both, big issue is keeping your form so you are working what you set out to work out the start of the set.

Romainians, SLD, Snatch Grip do not reset, but the weights are not that heavy that my breathing becomes compromised nor my upper back to hold the right form.

Pure deads, rack pulls done are done with pause.... not to reset tension, don't care, but to allow a good breath, re tighten diaphram, reset upper back shoulders etc.

Last edited by Terry Gibbs : 06-16-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:42 PM   #3
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

If a novice lifter is still making linear gains on his deadlift, I would never have anyone touch and go deadlifts. In fact, it is banned at my gym.

The "dead" in deadlift is the part that means from a DEAD stop.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:49 PM   #4
Jason Peacock

Profile:

Ditto what Tamara says. My gym has moved to doing full stops also - reset everything for every rep of the DL when going heavy.

They found that ppl were hurting themselves w/touch & go - pushing out those last few reps while tired and not keeping everything tight, then getting injured.

Better to stop and reset fully on every rep, it's actually harder, and will make your stronger faster
Old 06-17-2011, 07:23 AM   #5
John A. Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Gibbs View Post
merits to both, big issue is keeping your form so you are working what you set out to work out the start of the set.

Romainians, SLD, Snatch Grip do not reset, but the weights are not that heavy that my breathing becomes compromised nor my upper back to hold the right form.

Pure deads, rack pulls done are done with pause.... not to reset tension, don't care, but to allow a good breath, re tighten diaphram, reset upper back shoulders etc.
What are the merits of touch and go? I never do touch and go.

Lifting dead weight off of the floor is more difficult and will make a person stronger IMO. When I have DEADlifted my own body weight for as many reps as possible in 4-5 minutes for conditioning, I still did DEADlifts not touch and go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
If a novice lifter is still making linear gains on his deadlift, I would never have anyone touch and go deadlifts. In fact, it is banned at my gym.

The "dead" in deadlift is the part that means from a DEAD stop.
Good!
Old 06-17-2011, 10:30 AM   #6
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Echo Tamara, No tuch andd go for me either. Even in a met con it is alwasy dead stop rest deadlift. It isnt worth the few seconds time to risk injury.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:52 AM   #7
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Smith View Post
What are the merits of touch and go? I never do touch and go.
The merits of touch and go are that you can do more reps. You are effectively allowing yourself to move more weight at the top of the movement instead of being limited by the start. It also works your grip more and requires you to stay tighter longer. Plus doing a high rep set of deads without touch and go is just boring/takes forever, etc.

In Wendler's 5/3/1 ebook it says:
"There are two options for doing multiple reps with the deadlift. You can either touch-and-go the reps (slight bounce off the floor), or you can do dead stop deadlifts. For these, you’ll reset for each rep. I’ve done both, and both work. The downside to touch-and-go is that when you build up momentum, you can bounce too hard and lose your tightness. If you’re strong enough to hold your position and you have the control to do it, this option will work for you. The dead stop option is good for most people, but make sure you reset perfectly each time. The beginning portion of the lift is where most back injuries will occur. In this regard, the touch-and-go style is a little safer."

So I do both. I really don't think you should be condemning touch and go. Like anything it's got it's pluses and minuses. I do it both ways.

But, of course, Touch and Go doesn't mean bounce the **** out of it.

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier : 06-17-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:35 AM   #8
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

My experience has been more in-line with the Wendler quote that Matt posted.
I can pull a 5RM with good form doing touch-and-go (not bounce-and-go), but have a bit more trouble finishing the reps and keeping good form if I reset with each rep. So for me at least, touch-and-go does not necessarily equal poorer form.

However, this probably just means that my pull from the floor is weak and needs some work... So I guess I should probably be resetting each rep to avoid skirting my weaknesses.

Last edited by Preston Sprimont : 06-17-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:44 AM   #9
Eric Shuty

Profile:

Why would any gym go so far as to "ban" touch and go? I do it all the time and so do a lot of type level strength athletes....it's one thing to choose to do every rep as a single on your own, but since when does the gym need to dictate your workout to such a degree?
Old 06-17-2011, 11:51 AM   #10
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston Sprimont View Post
However, this probably just means that my pull from the floor is weak and needs some work... So I guess I should probably be resetting each rep to avoid skirting my weaknesses.
This part is the reason why it's good to use both from time to time. Or work your weakness off the floor via other methods like deficit DL's.